100 x 100 = 55.6g ½ (1mk) 180

Size: px
Start display at page:

Download "100 x 100 = 55.6g ½ (1mk) 180"

Transcription

1 TRANSNZOIA COUNTY JOINT EVALUATION TEST 2012 CHEMISTRY PAPER 2 233/2 MARKING SCHEME 1. a) A saturated solution is in that cannot dissolve anymore of solute at b) i) Scale 1mk Plotting 1mk Curve 1mk b) At 10ºC solubility = ( 80g /100g H 2 O) 80ºC solubility 136g / 100g H 2 O III i) If 180g solution contain 80g NaNO 3 and 100g of water Then 100g of H 2 O) = 100 x ½ = 44.4g NaNO 3 ½ ( ) = 55.6g H 2 O ½ OR 100 x 100 = 55.6g ½ (1mk) 180 i At 80ºC 148g NaNO 3 100g H 2 O? 55.6g 148 x 55.6 = g ½ (1mk) 100 iv) ( ) = of NaNO 3 v) Manufacture of NaCl and NaHCO from trona (1mk) Extraction of sugar 1

2 b) 2. a) b) i) i iv) v) vi) v i) At 10ºC solubility = ( ½ 80g / 100g of H2O) ( ½ ) 2mks) ZnCO3(s) + 2HCl(aq) ZnCl2(aq) + H2O(aq) + H2O(l) + CO2(g) To remove HCl fumes from the gas CO2. Some of the CO2(g) dissolves in water since is slightly soluble in water. NaOH(aq) + CO2(g) 2NaHCO3(aq) Heat NaHCO3 2NaHCO3(s) heat Na2CO3(s) + CO2(g) + H2O(g) NaHCO3 is less soluble at low temperature 1 mole NaOH (aq) 1000cm3 3? 30cm 30 cm3 x 1 mole = 0.03 moles 1000 cm3 1000cm3 1000g in 1000cm3-1mole ( 100g) HCl 50g x 1 mole = 0.05 moles 1000g 2

3 Mole ratio HCl NaOH I I Number of moles of HCl that reacted 0.05 moles moles = 0.02 moles i Base Acid X CO 3 HCl 1 2 ½ x moles 0.01 moles Moles = mass F.M 0.01 = 1g F.M = 1g F.m 0.01m = 100g iv) XCO 3 100g x = 40g 3. a) i) C 3 H 6 O Isomers i Q Esters R alkanoic acid / carboxylic acids iv) Sweet fruity smell b) i) Polymer i Making nylon ropes, nylon threads or cloths etc (any one for 1mk) c) A Alkynes B Alkanes C Alkenes Carbon dating in archeology - Detection of engine wear in an engine - Controlling thickness of paper and plastic 4. a) i) Q Bauxite (Al 2 O 3 ) R Aluminium hydroxide (AL(OH) 3 To dissolve the Al 2 O 3 ½ and precipitate the Fe2+ ions which are filtered out. i Heating to decompose the aluminium hydroxide to aluminium oxide. 2Al(OH) 3(s) heat Al 2 O 3(s) + 3H 2 O (g) iv) Cryolite lower the m.p of Al 2 O 3 (from 2015º down to 800ºC) b) i) Because oxygen produced at the anode oxidizes the carbon at the high temperature to form CO 2 / CO which are consumed. Na+ ions an more electropositive F- are more electronegative require more energy for reduction and oxidation respectively than Al 3+ and O 2- ions. i At anode 2O 2- (l) O 2(g) + 4e - At cathode Al 3+( aq) + 3e- Al (aq) ( penalize ½ for missing or wrong ss) 3

4 c) Aluminium has lower density hence light Aluminium is a better conductor of electricity d) Aluminium form an impervious layer less reactive oxide layer // Al 2 O 3 that coats the metal. 5. i) A (s) - 2e - Q 2- (aq) B 2+ (aq) + 2e- B (s) A (s) + B 2+ (aq) A 2- (aq) + B (s) i iv) E.m.f E R - E o Emf = ½ Per every mole of A 2+ (aq) going not solution, ½ moles of NO 3 leaves the salt bridge to balance the changes in cell B. ½ Where B 2+ is removed / discharged 2 moles ½ of K + enters A to balance the charges ½. v) Insoluble lead (II) chloride salt will be formed, hence no ions will be mobile hence no electrical conducting. b) i) Concentrated sodium chloride (Brine) i Titanium Manufacture of soaps / detergents - In beer industry - In paper industry (Any correct 2 uses) iv) - Mercury is expensive - Mercury is poisonous hence should not be left to get into the water system v) 2Na (s) + Hg (l) + 2H 2 O (l) 2NaOH (aq) + 2Hg (l) + H 2(g) b) NaOH : H 2 see equation in (v) 2moles 1 mole 100 litres 4 x 1667 x moles H2(g) 24 litres 1 moles H2(g) 100 Litres = moles 100 litres x 1 mole = moles 24 litres x 40g = g ( NaOH) 6. a) Alkali metal / alkali elements b) I G is more reactive than J Nuclear attraction in G weaker than in J electrons attracted more in J hence not easily lost II P is more reactive than N N is a smaller atom hence attracts incoming electrons more than N c) Atomic radius of K is larger than L. L has higher number of protons hence stronger attraction for the electrons in the energy levels reducing the size of atom. d) See grid e) Melting point in group 1 and 2 decreases down the group due to decrease in the strength of metallic bond with increase in atomic radius f0 KP 3 4

5 g) Ionic bond F is a metal and O is a halogen ( a non metal) F loses a valence electron, O gains the lost electron to form ionic bond. h) - In light bulb ( to create inert atmosphere - Advertisement light / street lights I H M i) To reduce /minimize / limit heat loss to the surrounding A marks the start of the experiment B Marks the end of the reaction // point of complete neutration i H 2 SO 4 : NaOH 1 mole 2 mole ½ x 1mole = 0.05 moles 1000 = mole In 1000cm 3 H 2 SO 4-1mole? mole moles x 1000 = 25cm 3 1 b) Catalyst has no effect on the position of the equilibrium 5

CHEMISTRY PAPER 2. Element Atomic Number. Meltrng Point CC) R S T U V

CHEMISTRY PAPER 2. Element Atomic Number. Meltrng Point CC) R S T U V CHEMISTRY PAPER 2 No. 1. Use the information in the table below to answer the questions that follow. The letters do not represent the actual symbols of the elements. Element Atomic Number Meltrng Point

More information

Topic 5.2 PERIODICITY. The oxides of period 3 elements The reaction of period 3 elements with water

Topic 5.2 PERIODICITY. The oxides of period 3 elements The reaction of period 3 elements with water Topic 5.2 PERIODICITY The oxides of period 3 elements The reaction of period 3 elements with water 1. Formation of oxides THE OXIDES OF PERIOD 3 ELEMENTS All the elements in Period 3 except chlorine and

More information

ICSE QUESTION PAPER Class X Chemistry (2016) Solution

ICSE QUESTION PAPER Class X Chemistry (2016) Solution ICSE QUESTION PAPER Class X Chemistry (016) Solution Section I 1. Metals are good reducing agents because they are electron donors. Electrovalent compounds have high melting points. (iii) Higher the ph

More information

(B) K2O potassium dioxide

(B) K2O potassium dioxide PRACTICE CHEMISTRY EOC TEST 1. Which substance is a conductor of electricity? (A) NaCl(s) (B) NaCl(l) (C) C6H12O6(s) (D) C6H12O6(l) 2. Which formula is correctly paired with its name? (A) MgCl2 magnesium

More information

Advanced Chemistry Final Review

Advanced Chemistry Final Review Advanced Chemistry Final Review 1. What are the products of complete combustion of hydrocarbons? Hydrocarbons are compounds made of carbon and oxygen. When they burn (combine with oxygen) they form carbon

More information

Name:..Index Number../ /2 Candidate s Signature... CHEMISTRY

Name:..Index Number../ /2 Candidate s Signature... CHEMISTRY Name:..Index Number../... 233/2 Candidate s Signature.... CHEMISTRY Paper 2 Date... (THEORY) July/ August 2014 2 hours THE LAMU COUNTY MOCK EXAMINATIONS 2014 Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education CHEMISTRY

More information

IGCSE Double Award Extended Coordinated Science

IGCSE Double Award Extended Coordinated Science IGCSE Double Award Extended Coordinated Science Chemistry 5 - Electricity and Chemistry Electrolysis You need to know that electrolysis is: - The breakdown of ionic substances into their constituent elements

More information

Chapter 4 Outline. Electrolytic Properties

Chapter 4 Outline. Electrolytic Properties +4.1 - General Properties of Aqueous Solutions Solution = a homogeneous mixture of two or more substances Solvent = substance present in greatest quantity Solute = the other substance(s) present in a solution

More information

Name: Period: AP Take Home Practice Test for Unit 0.5 Exam

Name: Period: AP Take Home Practice Test for Unit 0.5 Exam Name: Period: AP Take Home Practice Test for Unit 0.5 Exam 1. Which of the following is a correctly balanced equation? a. Al 2(SO 4) 3 + 2 CaCl 2 2 CaSO 4 + 3 AlCl 3 b. Al 2(SO 4) 3 + 3 CaCl 2 3 CaSO 4

More information

ICSE Board Class X Chemistry Board Paper 2013 Solution SECTION I

ICSE Board Class X Chemistry Board Paper 2013 Solution SECTION I ICSE Board Class X Chemistry Board Paper 2013 Solution SECTION I 1) i. Hydronium ii. Hydroxide iii. Salt iv. Water v. Hydrogen 2) i. C 2 H 6 gas Reaction: ii. Sulphur dioxide gas is evolved. K 2 SO 3 +

More information

Answers for UNIT ONE NAT 5 Flash Cards

Answers for UNIT ONE NAT 5 Flash Cards Answers for UNIT ONE NAT 5 Flash Cards 1. (a) rate increases (b) rate increases (c) rate increases (d) rate increases 2. Average rate = change in property / change in time Where property = concentration,

More information

Covalent (sharing of electron pairs) Ionic ( electrostatic attraction between oppositely charged ions)

Covalent (sharing of electron pairs) Ionic ( electrostatic attraction between oppositely charged ions) Covalent (sharing of electron pairs) Ionic ( electrostatic attraction between oppositely charged ions) Metallic (electrostatic attraction between + metal ions and delocalised electrons) Group 1 ions 1+

More information

4.4. Revision Checklist: Chemical Changes

4.4. Revision Checklist: Chemical Changes 4.4. Revision Checklist: Chemical Changes Reactivity of metals When metals react with other substances the metal atoms form positive ions. The reactivity of a metal is related to its tendency to form positive

More information

Cambridge IGCSE Chemistry. Topic 5: Electricity and chemistry. Notes.

Cambridge IGCSE Chemistry. Topic 5: Electricity and chemistry. Notes. Cambridge IGCSE Chemistry Topic 5: Electricity and chemistry Notes Define electrolysis as The breakdown of an ionic compound, molten or in aqueous solution, by the passage of electricity Describe the electrode

More information

AQA Chemistry GCSE. Flashcards. Topic 4: Chemical Change.

AQA Chemistry GCSE. Flashcards. Topic 4: Chemical Change. AQA Chemistry GCSE Topic 4: Chemical Change Flashcards What is oxidation/reduction? What is oxidation/reduction? Oxidation - When a substance gains oxygen Reducation - When a substance loses oxygen What

More information

California Standards Test (CST) Practice

California Standards Test (CST) Practice California Standards Test (CST) Practice 1. Which element has properties most like those of magnesium? (a) calcium (b) potassium (c) cesium (d) sodium 5. Which pair of atoms will share electrons when a

More information

2. What is the charge of the nucleus in an atom of oxygen-17? (1) 0 (2) 2 (3) +8 (4) +17

2. What is the charge of the nucleus in an atom of oxygen-17? (1) 0 (2) 2 (3) +8 (4) +17 60 Most Missed Chemistry Regents Exams Questions 1. In the wave-mechanical model, an orbital is a region of space in an atom where there is (1) a high probability of finding an electron (2) a high probability

More information

4.4. Revision Checklist: Chemical Changes

4.4. Revision Checklist: Chemical Changes 4.4. Revision Checklist: Chemical Changes Reactivity of metals When metals react with other substances the metal atoms form positive ions. The reactivity of a metal is related to its tendency to form positive

More information

Regents review Electrochemistry(redox)

Regents review Electrochemistry(redox) 2011-2012 1. Chlorine has an oxidation state of +3 in the compound A) HClO B) HClO2 C) HClO3 D) HClO4 2. What is the oxidation number of iodine in KIO4? A) +1 B) 1 C) +7 D) 7 3. What is the oxidation number

More information

for free past papers visit: 233/2 Candidate s Signature CHEMISTRY Nov hours

for free past papers visit:   233/2 Candidate s Signature CHEMISTRY Nov hours Nam e Index N um ber 233/2 Candidate s Signature CHEMISTRY Paper 2 Date... Nov. 2016 2 hours THE KENYA NATIONAL EXAMINATIONS COUNCIL Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education CHEMISTRY Paper 2 (THEORY)

More information

for sodium ion (Na + )

for sodium ion (Na + ) 3.4 Unit 2 Chemistry 2 Throughout this unit candidates will be expected to write word equations for reactions specified. Higher tier candidates will also be expected to write and balance symbol equations

More information

Unit 4: Chemical Changes (Higher Content)

Unit 4: Chemical Changes (Higher Content) Metals react with oxygen to produce metal oxides. E.g. Copper + Oxygen > Copper Oxide The reactions are oxidation reactions because the metals gain oxygen. Reactivity of Metals Metal Extraction Metals

More information

YEAR 10 CHEMISTRY TIME: 1h 30min

YEAR 10 CHEMISTRY TIME: 1h 30min YEAR 10 CHEMISTRY TIME: 1h 30min NAME: CLASS: Useful data: Q = It. Faraday Constant = 96,500 C mol -1. Use the Periodic table, given below, where necessary. Marks Grid [For Examiners use only] Question

More information

Downloaded from

Downloaded from Subject: Chemistry Class: XI Chapter: The s-block Elements Top concepts. The s-block elements of the periodic table are those in which the last electron enters the outermost s-orbital. Elements of group

More information

Part A Answer all questions in this part.

Part A Answer all questions in this part. Part A Directions (1-24): For each statement or question, record on your separate answer sheet the number of the word or expression that, of those given, best completes the statement or answers the question.

More information

C4 Quick Revision Questions

C4 Quick Revision Questions C4 Quick Revision Questions H = Higher tier only SS = Separate science only Question 1... of 50 Write the equation which shows the formation of iron oxide Answer 1... of 50 4Fe + 3O 2 2Fe 2 O 3 Question

More information

CHAPTER 10: Chemical Periodicity

CHAPTER 10: Chemical Periodicity CHAPTER 10: Chemical Periodicity 10.1 Periodicity in Physical Properties 10.2 Periodicity in Chemical Properties 10.3 Period 3 Oxides 10.4 Period 3 Chlorides Learning outcomes: (a) describe qualitatively

More information

Isotope-same element (same atomic #), different # of neutrons so mass is different

Isotope-same element (same atomic #), different # of neutrons so mass is different Proton-subatomic particle located in nucleus. Charge of +1, mass of 1 amu Neutron-subatomic particle located in nucleus. No charge, mass of 1 amu Electron-subatomic particle located outside nucleus. Charge

More information

Redox and Voltaic Cells

Redox and Voltaic Cells Name: Redox and Voltaic Cells Period: 1. Which half-reaction equation represents the reduction of an iron(ii) ion? 1) Fe 2+ Fe 3+ + e 2) Fe 2+ + 2e Fe 1) 1 to +2 2) 1 to 2 3) Fe 3+ + e Fe 2+ 4) Fe Fe 2+

More information

All you need to know about Additional Science

All you need to know about Additional Science All you need to know about Additional Science Chapters in this unit 1. Structures and bonding 2. Structures and properties 3. How much? 4. Rates of reaction 5. Energy and reactions 6. Electrolysis 7. Acids,

More information

Atomic Structure. Same atomic number Different mass number

Atomic Structure. Same atomic number Different mass number Mass number Number of protons and neutrons Atomic number Number of protons Atomic Structure Cl 35 17 Atoms of the same element can have different numbers of neutrons - these atoms are called isotopes of

More information

Chemistry DAPTO HIGH SCHOOL Preliminary Course Examination. Total marks 75

Chemistry DAPTO HIGH SCHOOL Preliminary Course Examination. Total marks 75 DAPTO HIGH SCHOOL Chemistry 2009 Preliminary Course Examination Total marks 75 General Instructions Reading time 5 minutes Working time 2 hours Write using black or blue pen Draw diagrams using pencil

More information

Unit 13 Electrochemistry Review

Unit 13 Electrochemistry Review 1. What is the oxidation state of nitrogen in NaNO2? A) +1 B) +2 C) +3 D) +4 2. Given the reaction that occurs in an electrochemical cell: Zn(s) + CuSO4(aq) ZnSO4(aq) + Cu(s) During this reaction, the

More information

Downloaded from

Downloaded from 1. mark questions CHEMISTRY CARBON AND ITS COMPOUNDS 1. Name of the organic compound, which can be produced by fermentation of sugar and is a constituent of beer. 2. Name the main products formed when

More information

(B) K2O potassium dioxide. REASON: correct name for (A) would be magnesium chloride, (B) = potassium oxide, (C) = cobalt (II) chloride

(B) K2O potassium dioxide. REASON: correct name for (A) would be magnesium chloride, (B) = potassium oxide, (C) = cobalt (II) chloride PRACTICE CHEMISTRY EOC TEST 1. Which substance is a conductor of electricity? (A) NaCl(s) (B) NaCl(l) (C) C6H12O6(s) (D) C6H12O6(l) REASON: Conductors of electricity (electrolytes) must be ionic (metal

More information

Name: Regents Practice Exam

Name: Regents Practice Exam Name: Regents Practice Exam 2 2016 1. A neutron has a charge of A) +1 B) +2 C) 0 D) 1 2. Which particle has the least mass? A) alpha particle B) beta particle C) neutron D) proton 3. A sample of matter

More information

Atoms, Elements, Atoms, Elements, Compounds and Mixtures. Compounds and Mixtures. Atoms and the Periodic Table. Atoms and the.

Atoms, Elements, Atoms, Elements, Compounds and Mixtures. Compounds and Mixtures. Atoms and the Periodic Table. Atoms and the. Atoms, Elements, Compounds and Mixtures Explain how fractional distillation can be used to separate a mixture. 1 Atoms, Elements, Compounds and Mixtures Fractional distillation is used to separate components

More information

Year 10 Chemistry Exam June 2011 Multiple Choice. Section A Mulltiple Choice

Year 10 Chemistry Exam June 2011 Multiple Choice. Section A Mulltiple Choice Year 10 Chemistry Exam June 2011 Multiple Choice Section A Mulltiple Choice 1. An aqueous solution is obtained when: a. a substance dissolves in any liquid b. a substance is dissolved in water c. when

More information

MARK SCHEME for the May/June 2012 question paper for the guidance of teachers 0620 CHEMISTRY

MARK SCHEME for the May/June 2012 question paper for the guidance of teachers 0620 CHEMISTRY UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE INTERNATIONAL EXAMINATIONS International General Certificate of Secondary Education MARK SCHEME for the May/June 2012 question paper for the guidance of teachers 0620 CHEMISTRY

More information

IGCSE TEST_ (Ch. 2,3,4,5,6) Name... Date...

IGCSE TEST_ (Ch. 2,3,4,5,6) Name... Date... IGCSE TEST_ (Ch. 2,3,4,5,6) Name... Date... 1 Winston Churchill, a British Prime Minister, had his false teeth electroplated with gold. The teeth were coated with a thin layer of carbon and were then placed

More information

Atomic Structure. Same atomic number Different mass number

Atomic Structure. Same atomic number Different mass number Mass number Number of protons and neutrons Atomic number Number of protons Atomic Structure Cl 35 17 Atoms of the same element can have different numbers of neutrons - these atoms are called isotopes of

More information

Review Chemistry Paper 1

Review Chemistry Paper 1 Atomic Structure Topic Define an atom and element. Use scientific conventions to identify chemical symbols Identify elements by chemical symbols Define compound Use chemical formulae to show different

More information

4.4.1 Reactivity of metals Metal oxides The reactivity series. Key opportunities for skills development.

4.4.1 Reactivity of metals Metal oxides The reactivity series. Key opportunities for skills development. 4.4 Chemical changes Understanding of chemical changes began when people began experimenting with chemical reactions in a systematic way and organising their results logically. Knowing about these different

More information

The Periodic Table consists of blocks of elements

The Periodic Table consists of blocks of elements The Periodic Table consists of blocks of elements s block d block p block There is a clear link between the Periodic Table and the electronic configuration of an element 1s 2s 2p 3s 3p 4s 3d 4p 1s ATOMIC

More information

Electrolysis. Specification points. Year 11 Electrolysis

Electrolysis. Specification points. Year 11 Electrolysis Electrolysis Specification points Year Electrolysis The process of electrolysis When an ionic compound is melted or dissolved in water, the ions are free to move about within the liquid or solution (the

More information

HW #5: 5.28, 5.34, 5.36, 5.38, 5.46, 5.52, 5.54, 5.58, 5.68, 5.72, 5.74, 5.76, 5.78, 5.80

HW #5: 5.28, 5.34, 5.36, 5.38, 5.46, 5.52, 5.54, 5.58, 5.68, 5.72, 5.74, 5.76, 5.78, 5.80 Chemistry 121 Lectures 11 & 12: Chemical Equations; Balancing Chemical Equations; Classes of Chemical Reactions: Precipitation, Acid-Base, and Redox Reactions Chapter 5 in McMurry, Ballantine, et. al.

More information

PHYSICAL SCIENCES/ P2 1 SEPTEMBER 2015 CAPS CAPE WINELANDS EDUCATION DISTRICT

PHYSICAL SCIENCES/ P2 1 SEPTEMBER 2015 CAPS CAPE WINELANDS EDUCATION DISTRICT PHYSICAL SCIENCES/ P2 1 SEPTEMBER 2015 CAPE WINELANDS EDUCATION DISTRICT MARKS 150 TIME 3 hours This question paper consists of 15 pages and 4 data sheets. PHYSICAL SCIENCES/ P2 2 SEPTEMBER 2015 INSTRUCTIONS

More information

NABTEB Past Questions and Answers - Uploaded online

NABTEB Past Questions and Answers - Uploaded online NATIONAL BUSINESS AND TECHNICAL EXAMINATIONS BOARD (GENERAL EDUCATION EXAMINATION) CHEMISTRY 005-1 (100 Marks) MAY/JUNE 2006. QUESTION AND ANSWER. TIME: 1 HR 40 MINS (1a) An atom has 14 neutrons in the

More information

Chapter: Atomic Structure and Chemical Bonds

Chapter: Atomic Structure and Chemical Bonds Table of Contents Chapter: Atomic Structure and Chemical Bonds Section 1: Why do atoms combine? Section 2: How Elements Bond Table of Contents Chapter: Atomic Structure and Chemical Bonds Section 1: Why

More information

Year 10 Chemistry Exam June 2011 Multiple Choice. Section A Multiple Choice

Year 10 Chemistry Exam June 2011 Multiple Choice. Section A Multiple Choice Year 10 Chemistry Exam June 2011 Multiple Choice Section A Multiple Choice 1 An aqueous solution is obtained when: a. a substance dissolves in any liquid b. a substance is dissolved in water c. when a

More information

THE UNITED REPUBLIC OF TANZANIA NATIONAL EXAMINATIONS COUNCIL CERTIFICATE OF SECONDARY EDUCATION EXAMINATION

THE UNITED REPUBLIC OF TANZANIA NATIONAL EXAMINATIONS COUNCIL CERTIFICATE OF SECONDARY EDUCATION EXAMINATION THE UNITED REPUBLIC OF TANZANIA NATIONAL EXAMINATIONS COUNCIL CERTIFICATE OF SECONDARY EDUCATION EXAMINATION 032/1 CHEMISTRY 1 (For Both School and Private Candidates) Time: 3 Hours Thursday, 06 th November

More information

CH 221 Chapter Four Part II Concept Guide

CH 221 Chapter Four Part II Concept Guide CH 221 Chapter Four Part II Concept Guide 1. Solubility Why are some compounds soluble and others insoluble? In solid potassium permanganate, KMnO 4, the potassium ions, which have a charge of +1, are

More information

Topic 3.2: Other Trends (Physical and Chemical)

Topic 3.2: Other Trends (Physical and Chemical) Topic 3.2: Other Trends (Physical and Chemical) Essential Ideas: 3.2: Elements show trends in their physical and chemical properties across periods and down groups Physical/ Chemical Properties Chemical

More information

5.4 Chemical changes Reactivity of metals Metal oxides The reactivity series. Key opportunities for skills development

5.4 Chemical changes Reactivity of metals Metal oxides The reactivity series. Key opportunities for skills development 5.4 Chemical changes Understanding of chemical changes began when people began experimenting with chemical reactions in a systematic way and organising their results logically. Knowing about these different

More information

CHM 1046 FINAL REVIEW

CHM 1046 FINAL REVIEW CHM 1046 FINAL REVIEW Prepared & Presented By: Marian Ayoub PART II Chapter Description 14 Chemical Equilibrium 15 Acids and Bases 16 Acid-Base Equilibrium 17 Solubility and Complex-Ion Equilibrium 19

More information

Periodicity Unit 3 The Periodic Table Physical and Chemical Properties Periodic Trends (period 3) First Row d-block Elements

Periodicity Unit 3 The Periodic Table Physical and Chemical Properties Periodic Trends (period 3) First Row d-block Elements Periodicity Unit 3 The Periodic Table Physical and Chemical Properties Periodic Trends (period 3) First Row d-block Elements Do You know these terms/phrases? Distinguish between the terms group and period

More information

9.3 Group VII. Content

9.3 Group VII. Content 9.3 Group VII Content 9.3.1 The similarities and trends in the physical and chemical properties of chlorine, bromine and iodine (i) Characteristic physical properties (ii) The relative reactivity of the

More information

CHAPTER 19: Carboxylic Acids and Derivatives I

CHAPTER 19: Carboxylic Acids and Derivatives I CHAPTER 19: Carboxylic Acids and Derivatives I 19.1 Carboxylic Acids 19.2 Reactions of Carboxylic Acids 19.3 Esters Learning outcomes: (a) describe the formation of carboxylic acids from alcohols, aldehydes

More information

Redox and Voltaic Cells

Redox and Voltaic Cells Name: Redox and Voltaic Cells Period: 1. Which half-reaction equation represents the reduction of an iron(ii) ion? 1) Fe 2+ Fe 3+ + e 2) Fe 2+ + 2e Fe 1) 1 to +2 2) 1 to 2 3) Fe 3+ + e Fe 2+ 4) Fe Fe 2+

More information

THE UNITED REPUBLIC OF TANZANIA NATIONAL EXAMINATIONS COUNCIL CERTIFICATE OF SECONDARY EDUCATION EXAMINATION

THE UNITED REPUBLIC OF TANZANIA NATIONAL EXAMINATIONS COUNCIL CERTIFICATE OF SECONDARY EDUCATION EXAMINATION THE UNITED REPUBLIC OF TANZANIA NATIONAL EXAMINATIONS COUNCIL CERTIFICATE OF SECONDARY EDUCATION EXAMINATION 032/1 CHEMISTRY 1 (For Both School and Private Candidates) TIME: 3 Hours Tuesday afternoon 09/10/2007

More information

Comparison between NEW and OLD syllabuses

Comparison between NEW and OLD syllabuses Comparison between NEW and OLD syllabuses In the NEW Chemistry syllabus, some topics are newly added and some are removed or deleted. Moreover, the syllabus is divided into two parts: core and extension.

More information

Unit C1: Chemistry in our world Page 1 of 5

Unit C1: Chemistry in our world Page 1 of 5 Unit C1: Chemistry in our world Page 1 of 5 Lesson Specification learning outcomes Edexcel 360 Science Specification match Edexcel 360 Science GCSE Science Students Book page reference Additional information

More information

National 5 Whole Course Revision Questions

National 5 Whole Course Revision Questions National 5 Whole Course Revision Questions Unit 1 Chemical changes 1. Describe how temperature, concentration and particle size affect the rate of a chemical reaction- mention collision theory in your

More information

5. All isotopes of a given element must have the same (A) atomic mass (B) atomic number (C) mass number (D) number of neutrons

5. All isotopes of a given element must have the same (A) atomic mass (B) atomic number (C) mass number (D) number of neutrons 1. Which substance can be decomposed by a chemical change? (A) beryllium (B) boron (C) methanol (D) magnesium 2. The particles in a crystalline solid are arranged (A) randomly and far apart (B) randomly

More information

Lab 2. Reactivity Series

Lab 2. Reactivity Series Lab 2 Reactivity Series Activity Series Pages 99 108 Pre-lab, Page 102 Post lab, Page 108 Complete all questions Activity Series Aim of the lab To become familiar with the reactivity of metals and their

More information

Changes & Chemical Reactions. Unit 5

Changes & Chemical Reactions. Unit 5 Changes & Chemical Reactions Unit 5 5 Types of Chemical Reactions Double Decomposition Replacement 1 2 3 4 5 Synthesis Single Replacement Combustion Continue Synthesis 2H 2 + O 2 2H 2 O Menu Decomposition

More information

CHAPTER 11 Stoichiometry Defining Stoichiometry

CHAPTER 11 Stoichiometry Defining Stoichiometry CHAPTER 11 Stoichiometry 11.1 Defining Stoichiometry Stoichiometry is the study of quantitative relationships between amounts of reactants used and products formed by a chemical reaction. Stoichiometry

More information

CHEMISTRY 2b SUMMARY

CHEMISTRY 2b SUMMARY CHEMISTRY 2b SUMMARY Items in ITALLICS are HIGHER TIER NLY C2.4.1 RATES F REACTIN Speeding up, or slowing down, chemical reactions is important in everyday life and in industry The rate of a chemical reaction

More information

National 5 Chemistry. Unit 1 Chemical Changes and Structure Summary Notes

National 5 Chemistry. Unit 1 Chemical Changes and Structure Summary Notes National 5 Chemistry Unit 1 Chemical Changes and Structure Summary Notes Success Criteria I am confident that I understand this and I can apply this to problems? I have some understanding but I need to

More information

Net Ionic Reactions. The reaction between strong acids and strong bases is one example:

Net Ionic Reactions. The reaction between strong acids and strong bases is one example: Net Ionic Reactions Model 1 Net Ionic Reactions. Net ionic reactions are frequently used when strong electrolytes react in solution to form nonelectrolytes or weak electrolytes. These equations let you

More information

Extracting metals QuestionIT

Extracting metals QuestionIT Extracting metals QuestionIT 1. What is an ore? Metal compound in a rock. 2. What is produced when metals react with oxygen? Metal oxide. 3. What is this process called and why? Oxidation, gain of oxygen.

More information

EXPERIMENT A5: TYPES OF REACTIONS. Learning Outcomes. Introduction. Upon completion of this lab, the student will be able to:

EXPERIMENT A5: TYPES OF REACTIONS. Learning Outcomes. Introduction. Upon completion of this lab, the student will be able to: 1 Learning Outcomes EXPERIMENT A5: TYPES OF REACTIONS Upon completion of this lab, the student will be able to: 1) Examine different types of chemical reactions. 2) Express chemical equations in molecular,

More information

KAKAMEGA CENTRAL JOINT EVALUATION TEST CHEMISTRY PAPER 2 MARKING SCHEME

KAKAMEGA CENTRAL JOINT EVALUATION TEST CHEMISTRY PAPER 2 MARKING SCHEME KAKAMEGA CENTRAL JOINT EVALUATION TEST CHEMISTRY PAPER MARKING SCHEME 1. a)c3m / b)e V c) K has higher melting point than J d) has a stronger intermolecular force of attraction than J e) Ionic radius of

More information

ICSE Board. Class X Chemistry. Board Paper Time: 1½ hrs Total Marks: 80

ICSE Board. Class X Chemistry. Board Paper Time: 1½ hrs Total Marks: 80 ICSE Board Class X Chemistry Board Paper 2013 Time: 1½ hrs Total Marks: 80 General Instructions: 1. Answers to this paper must be written on the paper provided separately. 2. You will NOT be allowed to

More information

CHAPTER 8 SALTS. NaCl. A salt is an ionic substance produced when the hydrogen ion of the acid is replaced by metal ion or an ammonium ion.

CHAPTER 8 SALTS. NaCl. A salt is an ionic substance produced when the hydrogen ion of the acid is replaced by metal ion or an ammonium ion. CHAPTER 8 SALTS A salt is an ionic substance produced when the hydrogen ion of the acid is replaced by metal ion or an ammonium ion. The salt consists of two parts, cation from base and anion from acid.

More information

Chapter 8 Chemical Reactions

Chapter 8 Chemical Reactions Chemistry/ PEP Name: Date: Chapter 8 Chemical Reactions Chapter 8: 1 7, 9 18, 20, 21, 24 26, 29 31, 46, 55, 69 Practice Problems 1. Write a skeleton equation for each chemical reaction. Include the appropriate

More information

(DO NOT WRITE ON THIS TEST)

(DO NOT WRITE ON THIS TEST) Final Prep Chap 8&9 (DO NOT WRITE ON THIS TEST) Multiple Choice Identify the choice that best completes the statement or answers the question. 1. After the correct formula for a reactant in an equation

More information

KASSU JOINT EVALUATION EXAMINATION

KASSU JOINT EVALUATION EXAMINATION Name:... Index No.:... 233/1 CHEMISTRY Paper 1 THEORY JUNE 2016 Time: 2 hours Adm No:.. Candidate s Signature:... Date:... KASSU JOINT EVALUATION EXAMINATION Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education CHEMISTRY

More information

Name: DEADLINE: 1 st lesson back, September term

Name: DEADLINE: 1 st lesson back, September term Name: DEADLINE: 1 st lesson back, September term The aim of this preparation work is to revise GCSE chemistry topics that you will need for A Level course. Part A is for everyone to complete. Part B is

More information

Angel International SchoolManipay

Angel International SchoolManipay Grade OL Angel International SchoolManipay 2 nd Term Examination March, 2016 Chemistry Duration: 3 Hours 1. Which property is common to calcium, potassium and sodium? a) Their atoms all lose two electrons

More information

1. The colors of light in the Balmer series are produced when electrons move from a high energy state to a lower energy state.

1. The colors of light in the Balmer series are produced when electrons move from a high energy state to a lower energy state. Regents Review Workbook: Answers to Short Answer Questions Chapter 1: Introduction 1. The wax melts (solid liquid). or The candle cooled afterwards. 2. A flame is present. The candle is burning. 3. 2.13

More information

ICSE Question Paper Class X Chemistry (2016)

ICSE Question Paper Class X Chemistry (2016) ICSE Question Paper Class X Chemistry Time: hrs Max. Marks: 80 (016) Answers to this Paper must be written on the paper provided separately. You will not be allowed 10 write during the first 15 minutes.

More information

Fluorine Gas. Chlorine Gas. Bromine Liquid. Iodine Solid

Fluorine Gas. Chlorine Gas. Bromine Liquid. Iodine Solid Halogens Fluorine (F 2 ): very pale yellow gas. It is highly reactive Chlorine : ( ) greenish, reactive gas, poisonous in high concentrations Bromine ( ) : red liquid, that gives off dense brown/orange

More information

BUSIA SUB-COUNTY JET 2016

BUSIA SUB-COUNTY JET 2016 Name Index No.. School... 233/2 CHEMISTRY THEORY Paper 2 Time: 2 Hours BUSIA SUB-COUNTY JET 2016 Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (K.C.S.E) INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES. Answer all the questions

More information

Electrodes are normally made out of inert (unreactive) materials. Graphite and platinum are common electrode materials.

Electrodes are normally made out of inert (unreactive) materials. Graphite and platinum are common electrode materials. Electrolysis Electrolysis is using an electric current to break up an ionic compound to form elements. Covalent compounds can t be split up by electrolysis. Terms used in electrolysis: Electrolyte - the

More information

Unit 5 Part 1 Acids, Bases and Salts Properties of Acids, Bases and Salts UNIT 5 ACIDS, BASES AND SALTS PART 1 PROPERTIES OF ACIDS, BASES AND SALTS

Unit 5 Part 1 Acids, Bases and Salts Properties of Acids, Bases and Salts UNIT 5 ACIDS, BASES AND SALTS PART 1 PROPERTIES OF ACIDS, BASES AND SALTS UNIT 5 ACIDS, BASES AND SALTS PART 1 PROPERTIES OF ACIDS, BASES AND SALTS Contents 1. Acids, Bases, Salts and Neutralisation 2. Physical Properties of Acids, Bases and Salts 3. Strong and Weak Acids and

More information

49 56 (8 Q's) Solutions YOU WILL SKIP THIS SECTION ENTIRELY (8 Q's) Organic Chemistry 12 none

49 56 (8 Q's) Solutions YOU WILL SKIP THIS SECTION ENTIRELY (8 Q's) Organic Chemistry 12 none ACS Standardized Exam for CHM 122 Breakdown of Questions by Topic Question # Topic Covered Problem Set Section in ACS Book 1 12 (12 Q's) Kinetics 1, 2 Dynamics 13 24 (12 Q's) Equilibrium 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

More information

Chapter 5. Chemical reactions

Chapter 5. Chemical reactions Chapter 5 Chemical reactions Chemical equations CaO(s) + CO 2 (g) CaCO 3 (s) + CO(g) Chemical equation - representation of a chemical reaction; uses the symbols of the elements and formulae of the compounds

More information

IGCSE Co-ordinated Sciences Chemistry Glossary

IGCSE Co-ordinated Sciences Chemistry Glossary IGCSE Co-ordinated Sciences Chemistry Glossary acid = any substance that produces hydrogen ions, H+, when dissolved in water acidic solution = a solution with a ph less than 7 acid rain = rain with a ph

More information

MAHESH TUTORIALS I.C.S.E.

MAHESH TUTORIALS I.C.S.E. MAHESH TUTORIALS I.C.S.E. GRADE - X (2017-2018) Exam No. : MT/ICSE/SEMI PRELIM - II - SET -A 020 Periodic Table, Chemical bonding, Acid, Bases and Salts, Practical Work, Mole Concept, Electrolysis Chemistry

More information

Candidates Signature.

Candidates Signature. Name:... Index No..... Date. Candidates Signature. 233/2 CHEMISTRY Paper 2 (THEORY) July/Aug 2016 2HOURS GATUND SUB-COUNTY EVALUATION EXAMINATION Instructions to candidates:- a) Write your name and index

More information

Basic SL Concepts. D. 2.0 (Total 1 mark) When the equation above is balanced, what is the coefficient for oxygen? D.

Basic SL Concepts. D. 2.0 (Total 1 mark) When the equation above is balanced, what is the coefficient for oxygen? D. Basic SL Concepts 1. 3.0 dm 3 of sulfur dioxide is reacted with.0 dm 3 of oxygen according to the equation below. SO(g) + O(g) SO3(g) What volume of sulfur trioxide (in dm 3 ) is formed? (Assume the reaction

More information

Week 9 Solubility & Redox

Week 9 Solubility & Redox Week 9 Solubility & Redox Q UEST IO N 1 2 The solubility of Ag 2CO 3 is 3.5 10 g/l at 25 C. What is the value of Ks p at this temperature? 12 A. 2.2 10 8 B. 3.4 10 12 C. 8.2 10 4 D. 1.7 10 E. 4.3 10 Q

More information

I regard section 3.1 as so basic and thus am not giving you notes on it.

I regard section 3.1 as so basic and thus am not giving you notes on it. Section 3 :periodicity : review notes I regard section 3.1 as so basic and thus am not giving you notes on it. 3.2 atomic radius: half the distance between the nuclei of 2 covalently bonded atoms. Note

More information

The June 2018 Chemistry Regents Exam

The June 2018 Chemistry Regents Exam The June 2018 Chemistry Regents Exam 1 Which statement describes the charge and location of an electron in an atom? (1) An electron has a positive charge and is located outside the nucleus. (2) An electron

More information

Chemistry 2202 Stoichiometry Unit Retest Review Guide

Chemistry 2202 Stoichiometry Unit Retest Review Guide Chemistry 2202 Stoichiometry Unit Retest Review Guide Chapter 2: The Mole Pgs. 42 77 You should be able to: 1. Define the term molar mass and calculate the molar mass of any given element or compound.

More information

Unit 8 Redox 8-1. At the end of this unit, you ll be able to

Unit 8 Redox 8-1. At the end of this unit, you ll be able to 8-1 Unit 8 Redox At the end of this unit, you ll be able to Define and identify oxidation reactions Define and identify reduction reactions Assign oxidation numbers to elements in a compound Write and

More information

Chemistry 12. Resource Exam B. Exam Booklet

Chemistry 12. Resource Exam B. Exam Booklet Chemistry 12 Resource Exam B Exam Booklet Contents: 21 pages Examination: 2 hours 50 multiple-choice questions in the Exam Booklet Additional Time Permitted: 60 minutes Province of British Columbia PART

More information