p (z) = p z 1 pz : The pseudo-hyperbolic distance ½(z; w) between z and w in D is de ned by ½(z; w) = j z (w)j =

Size: px
Start display at page:

Download "p (z) = p z 1 pz : The pseudo-hyperbolic distance ½(z; w) between z and w in D is de ned by ½(z; w) = j z (w)j ="

Transcription

1 EXTREME POINTS OF THE CLOSED CONVEX HULL OF COMPOSITION OPERATORS TAKUYA HOSOKAW A Abstract. W e study the extreme points of the closed convex hull of the set of all composition operators on the space of bounded analytic functions and the disk algebra.. Introduction Let D be the open unit disk. W e denote by D its closure and its boundary. Let H(D) be the set of all analytic functions on D and S(D) be the set of all analytic self-maps of D. Every analytic self-map ' 2 S(D) induces the composition operator C ' on H(D) dened by C ' f(z) = f('(z)): Let H be the set of all bounded analytic functions on D. Then H is a Banach algebra with the supremum norm kfk = sup jf(z)j: z2d Every composition operator is bounded on H and kc ' k =. It is known that C ' is compact on H if and only if k'k <. Let X be an analytic functional Banach space on D, that is, each element is analytic on D and the evaluation at each point of D is a non-zero bounded linear functional on X. Let C(X ) be the collection of all bounded composition operators on X, endowed with the operator norm topology. Then C(X ) is a semigroup with respect to the products, but is not a linear space. In the case that X is the Hilbert Hardy space H 2, Shapiro and Sundberg [] raised the following three problems: (i) Characterize the path components of C(H 2 ). (ii) W hich composition operators are isolated in C(H 2 )? (iii) W hich di erences of composition operators are compact on H 2? Though many mathematicians have tried to solve these problems and gotten several results, all of these three problems are still open. Date: Received date / Revised version date. 99 Mathematics Subject Classication. 47B33. Key words and phrases. composition operator, extreme point. This work is supported by the Korean Research Foundation Grant funded by Korean Government(MOEHRD, Basic Research Promotion Fund)(KRF-25-7-C7).

2 2 HOSOKAW A In [9], MacCluer, Ohno and Zhao solved (i) and (ii) of the problems above in the setting of C(H ). Their results were described in terms of the pseudo-hyperbolic distance on D. For p 2 D, let p be the automorphism of D exchanging for p. Then p has the following form; p (z) = p z pz : The pseudo-hyperbolic distance ½(z; w) between z and w in D is dened by ½(z; w) = j z (w)j = z w zw : Here we dene the induced distance d ½ on S(D), that is, d ½ ('; Ã) = sup ½('(z); Ã(z)) z2d for ' and à in S(D). In [9] the operator norms of the di erences of composition operators on H are estimated as following; kc ' C à k = 2 2p d ½ ('; Ã) 2 : d ½ ('; Ã) Hence C(H ) can be identied with the space S(D; d ½ ). W e denote C '» X C à if they are in the same component of C(X ). In [9], it is proved that C '» H C à if and only if d ½ ('; Ã) <. Let Y be a convex subset of a locally convex space. W e recall that an element y of Y is called an extreme point of Y if y can not be written as y = ( r)y + ry 2 with < r < and distinct elements y ; y 2 2 Y. For a normed space Z, we denote by U Z the closed unit ball of Z. By de Leeuw- Rudin's Theorem (see [4] or [6, Chapter 9]), ' is an extreme point of U H if and only if () Z 2¼ log( j'(e iµ )j)dµ = : MacCluer, Ohno and Zhao proved that if C ' is isolated in C(H ), then ' is an extreme point of U H. In [7], the converse was proved. The connected components of C(H ) are characterized by the equivalence relation which is in the similar form of the Gleason parts of the maximal ideal space of H. In this sense, the isolated point of C(H ) corresponds to the single Gleason part. W e recall the notion of exposed points of U Z. An element x of U Z is called an exposed point of U Z if there exists a linear functional L in Z such that L(x) = klk Z = and Re L(y) < for any y 2 U Z, y 6= x. It is easy to see that an exposed point of U Z is an extreme point of U Z. Amar and Lederer proved that ' is an exposed points of U H if and only if je(')j >, where E(') is the set of all ³ such that j'(³)j = and je(')j is the Lebesgue measure of E(') (see [] and [5, p.23]). On the other hand, from the fact that C(X ) is not a linear space we derive the problem of when the linear combination of composition operators is a composition operator. In section 2, we consider this problem for H.

3 EXTREME POINTS OF COMPOSITION OPERATORS 3 This problem for the case of the nite linear combinations was given as an exercise in [3, Chapter ], which concludes that there is no nite linear combination of composition operators which is a composition operator. Next we study this problem for the case of the innite linear combinations. To do this, we prepare some notations. Denote by hc(x )i the collection of all nite linear combinations of composition operators on X and denote by hc(x )i + the collection of all nite linear combinations of composition operators on X with positive coe±cients. Moreover, let L(X ) and L + (X ) denote the operator norm closure of hc(x )i and hc(x )i +, respectively. W e remark that the closed convex hull of C(H ) is the closed unit L+(H ) (see Proposition 2.5). W e consider the problem of which composition operators are the extreme points of U L+ (H ). The main theorem of this paper (Theorem 2.9) shows that the extremeness of C ' in U L(H ) requires the extremeness of ' of U H. This result gives the answer for the innite linear combination problem, that is, there is the innite linear combination of composition operators which is a composition operator. W e also show that the exposed points of U H induce the extreme composition operators in U L+(H ). In section 3, we consider the case of another function space, the disk algebra A. W e will study the set C(A) and can obtain the complete answer when C ' is an extreme point of L(A). 2. Extremeness of composition operators on H At rst, we observe that composition operators are linearly independent in hc(h )i. Proposition 2.. Let ' ; ; ' n be distinct analytic self-maps and let ; ; n 2 C. If C ' + + nc 'n is the zero operator on H, then = = n =. Proof. Put T = C ' + + nc 'n and f m (z) = z m. By the Identity Theorem, there is a subset E of D with zero measure such that ' j 6= ' k on D n E for all j; k such that j 6= k. Fix a point p 2 D n E. Since T f m (p) = for any m = ; ; ; n, we have that ' (p) ' 2 (p) ' n (p) 2 B C B A = B A : ' (p) n ' 2 (p) n ' n (p) n By the denition of p and Vandermonde's determination, ' (p) ' 2 (p) ' n (p) = Y ('... k (p) ' j (p)) 6= : ' (p) n ' 2 (p) n ' n (p) n j<k Since this matrix is invertible, we have that = = n =. n

4 W 4 HOSOKAW A Hence we conclude that there is no nite linear combination of composition operators which is a composition operator. Let H be the convex hull of fc ' ; ; C 'n g. For T 2 H, put T = kc 'k : k= Then we have that k for any k = ; ; n and P n k= k =. Moreover kt k = T = k = : W e determine the extreme points of H. Corollary 2.2. Let ' ; ; ' n be distinct analytic self-maps and H be the convex hull of C ' ; ; C 'n. Then the set of all extreme points of H is the vertexes fc ' ; ; C 'n g. W W Proof. By Proposition 2., we have that each C 'k is an extreme point of H. e suppose that T 2 H n fc ' ; ; C 'n g. ithout loss of generality, we assume that > and put S = kc 'k : Then we have that ksk = and T = C ' + ( )S. This means that T is not an extreme point of H. Next, let F = hc ' ; ; C 'n i be the nitely generated vector space over C. W e consider the extreme points of U F. It is easy to see that (2) kc 'k j kj: k= e can also see that the equality of (2) holds if =j j = = n=j nj. Recently, Izuchi and Ohno characterized in [8] when the equality of (2) holds. Theorem 2.3. [Izuchi-Ohno, [8]] Let ' ; ; ' n be distinct analytic selfmaps and ; ; n be nonzero complex numbers. Suppose that k=j kj 6= k=j kj for some k 6= k. Then (3) kc 'k = j kj k= if and only if there exists a sequence fz j g in D such that ½(' k (z j ); ' k (z j ))! as j! for every k; k with k=j kj 6= k=j kj. If the equality (3) holds for any linear combination in F, we can determine the extreme points of U F by the similar proof of Corollary 2.2. k= k=2 k= k=

5 W EXTREME POINTS OF COMPOSITION OPERATORS 5 Corollary 2.4. Let ' ; ; ' n be distinct analytic self-maps and F be the vector space spanned by C ' ; ; C 'n over C. Suppose that there exists a sequence fz j g in D such that ½(' k (z j ); ' k (z j ))! as j! for every k; k with k=j kj 6= k=j kj. Then the extreme points of U F are in the form of e iµ C 'k for µ 2 [; 2¼) and k = ; ; n. To investigate the innite linear combinations of composition operators, we give the estimation of the operator norm of the element of L + (H ) in the following proposition. Proposition 2.5. If T is in L + (H ), then kt k = T. Proof. Let ft j g ½ hc(h )i + be the Cauchy sequence which converges to T 2 L + (H ). Put n j X T j = where j;k >. Then we have that k= j;k C 'j;k n j X kt j k = T j = for each j. Since kt T j k kt T j k!, we have that T is a constant function whose value is the limit of T j. The assertion follows from kt k kt j k kt T j k! : k= j;k Here we will construct some example of elements of L + (H ) induced by the continuous curve fc 't g t2[;] in C(H ). W e dene that T n = k= n C ' kn : Then Proposition 2.5 implies that kt n k =. For f 2 H and p 2 D, we have that Z T n f(p) = n f(' k (p))! f(' s (p))ds n k= as n!. Since ft n fg is a Cauchy sequence in H, we have that Z f(' s (z))ds 2 H : e denote by I f'tg the following integral operator: I f'tgf(z) = Z f(' s (z))ds: Then the Banach-Steinhaus Theorem implies the following lemma.

6 W 6 HOSOKAW A Lemma 2.6. If fc 't g t2[;] is a continuous curve in C(H ), then the corresponding integral operator I f'tg is in U L+(H ). Example 2.7. (i) Suppose that C '» H C Ã. Put ' t = ( t)' + tã. Then fc 't g t2[;] is a continuous curve in C(H ) (see Lemma 5 and Lemma 6 of [9]) and I f'tgf(z) = ( F (Ã(z)) F ('(z)) Ã(z) '(z) f ('(z)) if '(z) 6= Ã(z) if '(z) = Ã(z) where F (z) is the primitive function of f(z). (ii) Suppose that k'k <. Choose a positive number r such that r < k'k. W e dene that ' t (z) = '(z)+re 2¼it z. Then k' t k < and ' t 2 S(D) for all t. Since every ' t (D) is a relatively compact subset of D, d ½ (' s ; ' t )! as s! t. Thus fc 't g t2[;] is a closed continuous curve in C(H ). By the Cauchy's Formula, we have that I f'tg = C '. e remark that the condition k'k < induces that C ' is not an extreme point of U L+ (H ). Proposition 2.8. If C ' is compact on H, then C ' is not an extreme point of U L+ (H ). Proof. Let f 2 H and p 2 D. From (ii) of Example 2.7, we have that C ' f(p) = Z 2 f '(p) + rp e 2¼is ds + Z 2 f '(p) + rp e 2¼is ds: Let ¾ t (z) = '(z) + re ¼it z and t (z) = '(z) re ¼it z. By changing variables, (4) C ' = 2 I f¾ tg + 2 I f tg: It is easy to see that I f¾tgz = '(z) 2rz and I ¼i f tgz = '(z) + 2rz ¼i : Since I f¾tg 6= I f tg, we can conclude that C ' is not an extreme point. The proposition above can be applied to more general cases. The following theorem gives a necessary condition for C ' to be an extreme point of U L+(H ). Theorem 2.9. If C ' is an extreme point of U L+ (H ), then ' is an extreme point of U H. Proof. Suppose that ' is not an extreme point, then the de Leeuw-Rudin's Theorem implies that Z 2¼ log( j'(e iµ )j)dµ > :

7 W Put (5) EXTREME POINTS OF COMPOSITION OPERATORS 7 µ Z 2¼ e iµ + z!(z) = exp 2¼ e iµ z log( j'(eiµ )j)dµ : Then! is an outer function in H and j'j + j!j on D. Here we x a positive number r 2 (; ) and dene that ' t = '+re 2¼it!. W e will see that fc 't g is a closed continuous curve in C(H ). To see this, it is su±cient that d ½ (' ; ' t )! as t!. Let D = fz 2 D : j'(z)j < rg and D 2 = D n D. For j = ; 2, we put d j ('; Ã) = sup z2d j ½('(z); Ã(z)): Since D is a compact subset of D, it is easy to check that d (' ; ' t )! as t!. On the other hand, using j'(z)j r on D 2 and j'j j!j, r!(z)( e 2¼it ) d 2 (' ; ' t ) = sup ('(z) + r!(z))('(z) + re 2¼it!(z)) z2d 2 rj!(z)jj e 2¼it j sup z2d 2 j'(z)j 2 2rj'(z)jj!(z)j r 2 j!(z)j 2 rj e 2¼it j sup z2d 2 + j'(z)j 2rj'(z)j r 2 ( j'j) rj e 2¼it j = sup z2d 2 ( r 2 ) + ( r) 2 j'(z)j rj e2¼it j r 2! as t!. Hence we get d ½ (' ; ' t )! as t! and this implies that fc 't g is continuous. By the Cauchy's Formula, we have that I f't g = C '. Hence, by the similar way to the proof of Proposition 2.8, we can show that C ' has the form (4), and so is not an extreme point. This concludes the proof. e remark that if ' is not an extreme point of U H, then C ' is not an extreme point of U L+(H ), and so is not an extreme point of U L(H ). Next we give a su±cient condition for C ' to be an extreme point of the closed convex hull U L+(H ) of C(H ). For a xed ' 2 S(D), let L ' be the norm closure of hc(h )nc ' i +. Then L ' ½ L + (H ). If ' is not an extreme point of U H, Theorem 2.9 implies that L ' = L + (H ). W e estimate the distance to C ' induced by an exposed point ' of U H from L '. Lemma 2.. Let ' 2 S(D) be an exposed point of U H. Then kc ' T k = + T for any T 2 L '. Proof. First, we suppose that T 2 hc(h ) n C ' i +. Put T = P n k= kc 'k with each k >. Then we have that kt k = T = P n k= k. Since ' k 6= '

8 8 HOSOKAW A and je(')j >, there exists a sequence fz j g ½ D such that '(z j )! and each ' k (z j )! k 2 D n f g as j!. Let µ z + m f m (z) = : 2 Then f m ( ) = and jf m (z)j < for z 2 D n f g. Let g r (z) = r z rz : for r 2 (; ). Then g r is an automorphism of D such that g r () = and g r () = r. Given " >, we put r = "=4. There exists a positive integer N and a constant number ± > such that for all k and for all j > N, j' k (z j ) j ±. Then there exists a positive integer M such that for each k and for all j > N, (6) jf M (' k (z j ))j 3 : For p 2 D with jpj =3, (7) jg r (p) j = ( r)( + p) rp " 4 + jpj rjpj " 2 : Here we can choose a positive integer N 2 such that for all j > N 2, (8) jg r ± f M ('(z j )) j "=2: Put N = maxfn ; N 2 g. Since g r ± f M is a unit vector of H, we have that for j > N, kc ' T k (C ' T )(g r ± f M )(z j ) = g r ± f M ('(z j )) k g r ± f M (' k (z j )) ³ + k= k By (6), (7), and (8), we get k= g r ± f M ('(z j )) k gr ± f M (' k (z j )) : k= kc ' T k + T " 2 " 2 = + T ": Since " is arbitrary, we have that kc ' T k = + T for any T 2 hc(h ) n C ' i +. Next, x T 2 L '. Given " >, there exists T 2 hc(h ) n C ' i + such that kt T k ". Since jt T j ", we have that T T ". Thus we obtain that kc ' T k kc ' T k kt T k + T kt T k + T 2":

9 This concludes the proof. EXTREME POINTS OF COMPOSITION OPERATORS 9 Here we give the following theorem. Theorem 2.. Let ' be in S(D). If ' is an exposed point of U H, then C ' is an extreme point of U L+ (H ). Proof. Let ' be an exposed point of U H. To prove C ' is an extreme point of U L+(H ), suppose not. Then there exist two distinct operators S, T in U L+ (H ), and r 2 (; ) such that ksk = kt k = and C ' = ( r)s + rt: There exist a; b 2 [; ] and two operators S, T in L ' such that S = a C ' + S and T = b C ' + T. Then we have that ( ( r)a rb) C ' (( r)s + rt ) = : If ( r)a rb 6=, then (9) C ' ( r)s + rt ( r)a rb = : On the other hand, since S = S ac ' = a and T = b, Lemma 2. implies that C ' ( r)s + rt ( r)( a) + r( b) ( r)a rb = + = 2: ( r)a rb This contradicts (9). Hence ( r)a + rb = and ( r)s + rt =. Since the point is an extreme point of the interval [; ], we have that a = b =. Then we obtain that S = C ' + S and S 6=. Proposition 2.5 implies that ksk = S = + S = + ks k > : This is a contradiction. Now we conclude that C ' is an extreme point of U L+ (H ). 3. The case of the disk algebra In this section, we consider composition operators on the disk algebra A. Recall that the disk algebra A is the set of all continuous functions on D which are analytic on D. Then A is a Banach algebra with the norm sup jf(z)j: z2d By the maximum modulus principle, we can see that this norm is equal to kfk. To dene C ' on A, we need the condition C ' z = ' 2 A. Denote by S(D) the set of functions ' which is analytic on D and continuous on D such that '(D) ½ D. Then S(D) is the closed unit ball U A of A and each ' 2 S(D) induces C ' which acts on A. Denote by kc ' k A the operator norm of C ' on A. If ' is a constant function with value then ' is not in S(D) but in S(D). Dene that = f' By the maximum modulus principle,

10 HOSOKAW A it is shown that S(D)n = S(D)\A. W e remark that ' is an extreme point of S(D) if and only if ' 2 A and the condition () holds (see [6, p. 39]). Moreover, just as the case of H, it is well-known that kc ' k A = for every ' 2 S(D) and C ' is compact on A if and only if k'k < or ' 2. W e denote that K = fc ' is compact on Ag and T = fc ' : ' 2 g. Then we have T ½ K. Here we extend the pseudo-hyperbolic distance to D, denote by ½, as following. For z; w 2 D, ½(z; w) = ½(z; w). For z ½ if w = z ½(z; w) = if w 6= z : Of course, this extension is not continuous. dened on S(D), that is, The induced distance d ½ is d ½ ('; Ã) = sup ½('(z); Ã(z)): z2d Now we can obtain the following results on the topological structure of C(A) by a similar proof for C(H ) given in [7] and [9]. Theorem 3.. Let '; Ã be in S(D). (i) kc ' C Ã k A = 2 2p d ½ ('; Ã) 2. d ½ ('; Ã) (ii) C '» A C Ã if and only if kc ' C Ã k A < 2. (iii) The following are equivalent. (a) C ' is isolated in C(A). (b) For all C Ã 6= C ', kc ' C Ã k A = 2. (c) ' is an extreme point of S(D). (d) Z 2¼ log( j'(e iµ )j)dµ =. (iv) Every C ' 2 T is compact on A and is isolated in C(A). (v) K n T itself is a path component of C(A). Proof. (i) Let '; Ã 2 S(D) and ' 6= Ã. First, suppose C ' and C Ã are in C(A) n T. For z, w 2 D, the induced distance d A (z; w) is dened by d A (z; w) = supfjf(z) f(w)j : f 2 A; kf k < g: In [], Madigan estimated d A (z; w) precisely as below. d A (z; w) = 2 2p ½(z; w) 2 : ½(z; w)

11 EXTREME POINTS OF COMPOSITION OPERATORS Since (2 2 p x 2 )=x is continuous and increasing on [; ], we have that kc ' C à k A = sup sup f('(z)) f(ã(z)) f 2S(D) z2d = sup sup f('(z)) f(ã(z)) z2d f 2S(D) = sup d A (z; w) z2d = 2 2p d ½ ('; Ã) 2 : d ½ ('; Ã) Next we suppose C ' 2 T and C à 62 T. This means that ' e iµ. Then d ½ ('; Ã) =. To prove (i), we will show that kc ' C à k A = 2. Indeed, there exists p 2 D such that Ã(p) 2 D. Recall that p (z) = (p z)=( pz). Put q = Ã(p) (e iµ ) and f(z) = q Ã(p) (z). Let fr n g be a sequence of real numbers increasing to in [; ) and f n (z) = rn ±f(z). Then f n is an automorphism and in S(D). Now we get kc ' C à k A k(c ' C à )f n k jf n ± '(p) f n ± Ã(p)j = j rn () rn ()j = j + r n j! 2; as n!. Conversely, since kc ' k A = kc à k A =, we have that kc ' C à k A 2. W e conclude that kc ' C à k A = 2. Suppose that C ' and C à are in T, that is, ' e iµ and à e i³. Then there exists f 2 A, kf k = such that f(e iµ ) = and f(e i³ ) =. Hence we have that kc ' C à k A k(c ' C à )fk = 2: The proof of (i) is nished. (ii) The same proof of [9, Theorem ] can be applied. (iii) The equivalence of (a) and (b) follows from (ii). The equivalence of (c) and (d) was mentioned in [2] and [6]. The same proof of [7, Theorem 4..] shows that (d) implies (a). Though Chandra showed that (a) implies (d) in [2], we will give the simpler proof. Suppose that log( j'(e iµ )j) is integrable. Then the outer function! of (5) is in A and j!(z)j j'(z)j for z 2 D. Put ' t = ' + t! for jtj <. If j'(z)j =, then!(z) = and ½('(z); ' t (z)) =. If j'(z)j <, then we have '(z) ' t (z) jtj ½('(z); ' t (z)) = '(z)' t (z) = jtj jtj < j j'(z)j2!(z) t'(z)j for jtj < =2. Thus d ½ ('; ' t ) <. Hence we have C '» A C 't. This means that C ' is not isolated. Now the proof of (iii) was completed.

12 2 HOSOKAW A (iv) For C ' 2 T, C ' (A) = C is the subspace of dimension one. Hence C ' is compact on A. Since j'j = on D, (iii) implies that C ' is an isolated point of C(A). (v) At rst, we will show that K n T is path connected in C(A). Let C ' 2 K n T. For r 2 [; ], C r' 2 K n T and kr'k k'k <. d ½ (r'; s') = jr sj j'(z)j sup z2d rsj'(z)j 2 k'k k'k 2 jr sj! as r! s. (i) implies that the curve fc r' g r2[;] is continuous in C(A). Then we have that C '» A C for every C ' 2 K n T. Thus we conclude that C '» A C Ã for C ' ; C Ã 2 K n T. This means that K n T is path connected. Next we will prove that K n T forms a component. For C ' 2 K n T and C Ã 2 C(A) n (K n T ). Then there exists a point p such that j'(p)j < and jã(p)j =. Then we have d ½ ('; Ã) =. Since kc ' C Ã k A = 2, (ii) implies that C ' 6» A C Ã. This completes our proof. Denote by Comp X (') the path component of C(X ) which contains C '. By Lemmas 5 and 6 of [9], if C '» H C Ã (C '» A C Ã, respectively), then the \segment" ' t = ( t)'+tã induces a continuous path fc 't g in C(H ) (C(A), respectively). From this fact, we can immediately get the following corollary, which mentions the relation between the topological structure of C(A) and that of C(H ). Corollary 3.2. Let C ' and C Ã be in C(A)nT. Then we have the following. (i) Comp A (') = Comp H (') \ C(A). (ii) C '» A C Ã if and only if C '» H C Ã. (iii) C ' is isolated in C(A) if and only if C ' is isolated in C(H ). Now we can prove the converse of Theorem 2.9 on the setting of L(A). Theorem 3.3. Let C ' be in C(A). Then the followings are equivalent: (i) C ' is an extreme point of U L(A). (ii) C ' is an isolated point of C(A). (iii) ' is an extreme point of S(D). Proof. By Theorem 3., it is enough to prove the equivalence of (i) and (iii). Since we can prove the implication (i) ) (iii) by the same proof of Theorem 2.9, we need only to prove the implication (iii) ) (i). Suppose that ' is an extreme point of S(D) and C ' = ( r)s + rt for S and T in U L(A). Let Sz k = ¾ k and T z k = k. Then ¾ k and k are in the closed unit ball of A and ' k = ( r)¾ k + r k. W e remark that ' is an extreme point of S(D) if and only if ' k is an extreme point of S(D) for any positive integer k. Thus we get ¾ k = k = ' k for any positive integer k. Since the polynomials are dense in A, we get S = T = C '. This concludes the proof.

13 W EXTREME POINTS OF COMPOSITION OPERATORS 3 e present two problems. Problem. (i) The proof of Theorem 3.3 depends on the density of polynomials in A. However the density is not true in the case of H. Does Theorem 3.3 hold on the case of H? (ii) Theorem 3.3 does not answer the problem of whether the other extreme points exist or not. More precisely, we can ask the problem: whether the extreme point T of U L(A) is a composition operator or not? Acknowledgement. The author would like to thank the referee for many valuable suggestions and detailed criticisms on this paper. References [] E. Amar and A. Lederer, Points expos es de la boule unit e de H (D), C. R. Acad. Sci. Paris S er. A. 272 (97), 449{452. [2] H. Chandra, Isolation amongst composition operators on the disc algebra, J. Indian Math. Soc.(N.S.) 67 (2), 43{52. [3] C.C. Cowen and B.D. MacCluer, Composition Operators on Spaces of Analytic Functions, CRC Press, Boca Raton, 995. [4] K. deleeuw and W. Rudin, Extreme points and extreme problems in H, Pacic J. Math. 8 (958), 467{485. [5] J. B. Garnett, Bounded Analytic Functions (revised rst edition), Springer-Verlag, 26. [6] K. Ho man, Banach Spaces of Analytic Functions, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cli s, N. J., 962. [7] T. Hosokawa, K. Izuchi and D. Zheng, Isolated points and essential components of composition operators on H, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 3 (22), 765{773 [8] K. Izuchi and S. Ohno, Linear combinations of composition operators on H, J. Math. Anal. Appl. 338 (28), 82{839. [9] B. MacCluer, S. Ohno and R. Zhao, Topological structure of the space of composition operators on H, Integral Equation Operator Theory, 4 (2), 48{494. [] K. Madigan, Composition operators into Lipschitz type spaces, Thesis, SUNY Albany, 993. [] J. Shapiro and C. Sundberg, Isolation amongst the composition operators, Pacic J. Math. 45 (99), 7{52. Institute of Basic Science, Andong National University, Andong Korea address: turtlemumu@yahoo.co.jp

Compactness and Norm of the Sum of Weighted Composition Operators on A(D)

Compactness and Norm of the Sum of Weighted Composition Operators on A(D) Int. Journal of Math. Analysis, Vol. 4, 2010, no. 39, 1945-1956 Compactness and Norm of the Sum of Weighted Composition Operators on A(D) Harish Chandra and Bina Singh Department of Mathematics and DST-CIMS

More information

WEIGHTED COMPOSITION OPERATORS BETWEEN H AND THE BLOCH SPACE. Sh^uichi Ohno 1. INTRODUCTION

WEIGHTED COMPOSITION OPERATORS BETWEEN H AND THE BLOCH SPACE. Sh^uichi Ohno 1. INTRODUCTION TAIWANESE JOURNAL OF MATHEMATICS Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 555-563, September 2001 This paper is available online at http://www.math.nthu.edu.tw/tjm/ WEIGHTED COMPOSITION OPERATORS BETWEEN H AND THE BLOCH SPACE

More information

COMPACT DIFFERENCE OF WEIGHTED COMPOSITION OPERATORS ON N p -SPACES IN THE BALL

COMPACT DIFFERENCE OF WEIGHTED COMPOSITION OPERATORS ON N p -SPACES IN THE BALL COMPACT DIFFERENCE OF WEIGHTED COMPOSITION OPERATORS ON N p -SPACES IN THE BALL HU BINGYANG and LE HAI KHOI Communicated by Mihai Putinar We obtain necessary and sucient conditions for the compactness

More information

arxiv: v1 [math.cv] 21 Sep 2007

arxiv: v1 [math.cv] 21 Sep 2007 Proc. Indian Acad. Sci. (Math. Sci. Vol. 117, No. 3, August 2003, pp. 371 385. Printed in India Weighted composition operators from Bergman-type spaces into Bloch spaces arxiv:0709.3347v1 [math.cv] 21

More information

Numerical Range in C*-Algebras

Numerical Range in C*-Algebras Journal of Mathematical Extension Vol. 6, No. 2, (2012), 91-98 Numerical Range in C*-Algebras M. T. Heydari Yasouj University Abstract. Let A be a C*-algebra with unit 1 and let S be the state space of

More information

Ole Christensen 3. October 20, Abstract. We point out some connections between the existing theories for

Ole Christensen 3. October 20, Abstract. We point out some connections between the existing theories for Frames and pseudo-inverses. Ole Christensen 3 October 20, 1994 Abstract We point out some connections between the existing theories for frames and pseudo-inverses. In particular, using the pseudo-inverse

More information

COMPOSITION OPERATORS INDUCED BY SYMBOLS DEFINED ON A POLYDISK

COMPOSITION OPERATORS INDUCED BY SYMBOLS DEFINED ON A POLYDISK COMPOSITION OPERATORS INDUCED BY SYMBOLS DEFINED ON A POLYDISK MICHAEL STESSIN AND KEHE ZHU* ABSTRACT. Suppose ϕ is a holomorphic mapping from the polydisk D m into the polydisk D n, or from the polydisk

More information

Max-Planck-Institut fur Mathematik in den Naturwissenschaften Leipzig Uniformly distributed measures in Euclidean spaces by Bernd Kirchheim and David Preiss Preprint-Nr.: 37 1998 Uniformly Distributed

More information

BANACH FUNCTION ALGEBRAS WITH DENSE INVERTIBLE GROUP

BANACH FUNCTION ALGEBRAS WITH DENSE INVERTIBLE GROUP PROCEEDINGS OF THE AMERICAN MATHEMATICAL SOCIETY Volume 00, Number 0, Pages 000 000 S 0002-9939(XX)0000-0 BANACH FUNCTION ALGEBRAS WITH DENSE INVERTIBLE GROUP H. G. DALES AND J. F. FEINSTEIN Abstract.

More information

Garrett: `Bernstein's analytic continuation of complex powers' 2 Let f be a polynomial in x 1 ; : : : ; x n with real coecients. For complex s, let f

Garrett: `Bernstein's analytic continuation of complex powers' 2 Let f be a polynomial in x 1 ; : : : ; x n with real coecients. For complex s, let f 1 Bernstein's analytic continuation of complex powers c1995, Paul Garrett, garrettmath.umn.edu version January 27, 1998 Analytic continuation of distributions Statement of the theorems on analytic continuation

More information

Comm. Korean Math. Soc. 13(1998), No. 1, pp SEMI-QUASITRIANGULARITY OF TOEPLITZ OPERATORS WITH QUASICONTINUOUS SYMBOLS In Hyoun Kim and Woo You

Comm. Korean Math. Soc. 13(1998), No. 1, pp SEMI-QUASITRIANGULARITY OF TOEPLITZ OPERATORS WITH QUASICONTINUOUS SYMBOLS In Hyoun Kim and Woo You Comm. Korean Math. Soc. 13(1998), No. 1, pp. 77-84 SEMI-QUASITRIANGULARITY OF TOEPLITZ OPERATORS WITH QUASICONTINUOUS SYMBOLS In Hyoun Kim and Woo Young Lee Abstract. In this note we show that if T ' is

More information

FURTHER STUDIES OF STRONGLY AMENABLE -REPRESENTATIONS OF LAU -ALGEBRAS

FURTHER STUDIES OF STRONGLY AMENABLE -REPRESENTATIONS OF LAU -ALGEBRAS FURTHER STUDIES OF STRONGLY AMENABLE -REPRESENTATIONS OF LAU -ALGEBRAS FATEMEH AKHTARI and RASOUL NASR-ISFAHANI Communicated by Dan Timotin The new notion of strong amenability for a -representation of

More information

MATH 722, COMPLEX ANALYSIS, SPRING 2009 PART 5

MATH 722, COMPLEX ANALYSIS, SPRING 2009 PART 5 MATH 722, COMPLEX ANALYSIS, SPRING 2009 PART 5.. The Arzela-Ascoli Theorem.. The Riemann mapping theorem Let X be a metric space, and let F be a family of continuous complex-valued functions on X. We have

More information

HYPERBOLIC DERIVATIVES AND GENERALIZED SCHWARZ-PICK ESTIMATES

HYPERBOLIC DERIVATIVES AND GENERALIZED SCHWARZ-PICK ESTIMATES PROCEEDINGS OF THE AMERICAN MATHEMATICAL SOCIETY Volume 132, Number 11, Pages 339 3318 S 2-9939(4)7479-9 Article electronically published on May 12, 24 HYPERBOLIC DERIVATIVES AND GENERALIZED SCHWARZ-PICK

More information

Igor E. Pritsker. plane, we consider a problem of the uniform approximation on E by

Igor E. Pritsker. plane, we consider a problem of the uniform approximation on E by Weighted Approximation on Compact Sets Igor E. Pritsker Abstract. For a compact set E with connected complement in the complex plane, we consider a problem of the uniform approximation on E by the weighted

More information

COMPOSITION SEMIGROUPS ON BMOA AND H AUSTIN ANDERSON, MIRJANA JOVOVIC, AND WAYNE SMITH

COMPOSITION SEMIGROUPS ON BMOA AND H AUSTIN ANDERSON, MIRJANA JOVOVIC, AND WAYNE SMITH COMPOSITION SEMIGROUPS ON BMOA AND H AUSTIN ANDERSON, MIRJANA JOVOVIC, AND WAYNE SMITH Abstract. We study [ϕ t, X], the maximal space of strong continuity for a semigroup of composition operators induced

More information

RESTRICTED UNIFORM BOUNDEDNESS IN BANACH SPACES

RESTRICTED UNIFORM BOUNDEDNESS IN BANACH SPACES RESTRICTED UNIFORM BOUNDEDNESS IN BANACH SPACES OLAV NYGAARD AND MÄRT PÕLDVERE Abstract. Precise conditions for a subset A of a Banach space X are known in order that pointwise bounded on A sequences of

More information

Solving the truncated moment problem. solves the full moment problem. Jan Stochel IMUJ PREPRINT 1999/31

Solving the truncated moment problem. solves the full moment problem. Jan Stochel IMUJ PREPRINT 1999/31 Solving the truncated moment problem solves the ull moment problem Jan Stochel IMUJ PEPINT 999/3 Abstract. It is shown that the truncated multidimensional moment problem is more general than the ull multidimensional

More information

AN INEQUALITY FOR THE NORM OF A POLYNOMIAL FACTOR IGOR E. PRITSKER. (Communicated by Albert Baernstein II)

AN INEQUALITY FOR THE NORM OF A POLYNOMIAL FACTOR IGOR E. PRITSKER. (Communicated by Albert Baernstein II) PROCDINGS OF TH AMRICAN MATHMATICAL SOCITY Volume 9, Number 8, Pages 83{9 S -9939()588-4 Article electronically published on November 3, AN INQUALITY FOR TH NORM OF A POLYNOMIAL FACTOR IGOR. PRITSKR (Communicated

More information

Composition Operators on the Fock Space

Composition Operators on the Fock Space Composition Operators on the Fock Space Brent Carswell Barbara D. MacCluer Alex Schuster Abstract We determine the holomorphic mappings of C n that induce bounded composition operators on the Fock space

More information

Peak Point Theorems for Uniform Algebras on Smooth Manifolds

Peak Point Theorems for Uniform Algebras on Smooth Manifolds Peak Point Theorems for Uniform Algebras on Smooth Manifolds John T. Anderson and Alexander J. Izzo Abstract: It was once conjectured that if A is a uniform algebra on its maximal ideal space X, and if

More information

COMPOSITION OPERATORS ON ANALYTIC WEIGHTED HILBERT SPACES

COMPOSITION OPERATORS ON ANALYTIC WEIGHTED HILBERT SPACES COMPOSITION OPERATORS ON ANALYTIC WEIGHTE HILBERT SPACES K. KELLAY Abstract. We consider composition operators in the analytic weighted Hilbert space. Various criteria on boundedness, compactness and Hilbert-Schmidt

More information

Homogeneous spaces of compact connected Lie groups which admit nontrivial invariant algebras

Homogeneous spaces of compact connected Lie groups which admit nontrivial invariant algebras Journal of Lie Theory Volume 9 (1999) 355 360 C 1999 Heldermann Verlag Homogeneous spaces of compact connected Lie groups which admit nontrivial invariant algebras Ilyas A. Latypov Communicated by E. B.

More information

Semi-strongly asymptotically non-expansive mappings and their applications on xed point theory

Semi-strongly asymptotically non-expansive mappings and their applications on xed point theory Hacettepe Journal of Mathematics and Statistics Volume 46 (4) (2017), 613 620 Semi-strongly asymptotically non-expansive mappings and their applications on xed point theory Chris Lennard and Veysel Nezir

More information

Banach Journal of Mathematical Analysis ISSN: (electronic)

Banach Journal of Mathematical Analysis ISSN: (electronic) Banach J. Math. Anal. 7 (2013), no. 1, 59 72 Banach Journal of Mathematical Analysis ISSN: 1735-8787 (electronic) www.emis.de/journals/bjma/ WEIGHTED COMPOSITION OPERATORS BETWEEN VECTOR-VALUED LIPSCHITZ

More information

Functional Analysis HW #5

Functional Analysis HW #5 Functional Analysis HW #5 Sangchul Lee October 29, 2015 Contents 1 Solutions........................................ 1 1 Solutions Exercise 3.4. Show that C([0, 1]) is not a Hilbert space, that is, there

More information

2 Garrett: `A Good Spectral Theorem' 1. von Neumann algebras, density theorem The commutant of a subring S of a ring R is S 0 = fr 2 R : rs = sr; 8s 2

2 Garrett: `A Good Spectral Theorem' 1. von Neumann algebras, density theorem The commutant of a subring S of a ring R is S 0 = fr 2 R : rs = sr; 8s 2 1 A Good Spectral Theorem c1996, Paul Garrett, garrett@math.umn.edu version February 12, 1996 1 Measurable Hilbert bundles Measurable Banach bundles Direct integrals of Hilbert spaces Trivializing Hilbert

More information

Dichotomy Of Poincare Maps And Boundedness Of Some Cauchy Sequences

Dichotomy Of Poincare Maps And Boundedness Of Some Cauchy Sequences Applied Mathematics E-Notes, 2(202), 4-22 c ISSN 607-250 Available free at mirror sites of http://www.math.nthu.edu.tw/amen/ Dichotomy Of Poincare Maps And Boundedness Of Some Cauchy Sequences Abar Zada

More information

This document is downloaded from DR-NTU, Nanyang Technological University Library, Singapore.

This document is downloaded from DR-NTU, Nanyang Technological University Library, Singapore. This document is downloaded from DR-NTU, Nanyang Technological University Library, Singapore. Title Composition operators on Hilbert spaces of entire functions Author(s) Doan, Minh Luan; Khoi, Le Hai Citation

More information

2 Section 2 However, in order to apply the above idea, we will need to allow non standard intervals ('; ) in the proof. More precisely, ' and may gene

2 Section 2 However, in order to apply the above idea, we will need to allow non standard intervals ('; ) in the proof. More precisely, ' and may gene Introduction 1 A dierential intermediate value theorem by Joris van der Hoeven D pt. de Math matiques (B t. 425) Universit Paris-Sud 91405 Orsay Cedex France June 2000 Abstract Let T be the eld of grid-based

More information

MARIA GIRARDI Fact 1.1. For a bounded linear operator T from L 1 into X, the following statements are equivalent. (1) T is Dunford-Pettis. () T maps w

MARIA GIRARDI Fact 1.1. For a bounded linear operator T from L 1 into X, the following statements are equivalent. (1) T is Dunford-Pettis. () T maps w DENTABILITY, TREES, AND DUNFORD-PETTIS OPERATORS ON L 1 Maria Girardi University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Pacic J. Math. 148 (1991) 59{79 Abstract. If all bounded linear operators from L1 into a

More information

On composition operators

On composition operators On composition operators for which C 2 ϕ C ϕ 2 Sungeun Jung (Joint work with Eungil Ko) Department of Mathematics, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies 2015 KOTAC Chungnam National University, Korea June

More information

Spectral isometries into commutative Banach algebras

Spectral isometries into commutative Banach algebras Contemporary Mathematics Spectral isometries into commutative Banach algebras Martin Mathieu and Matthew Young Dedicated to the memory of James E. Jamison. Abstract. We determine the structure of spectral

More information

Banach Algebras where the Singular Elements are Removable Singularities

Banach Algebras where the Singular Elements are Removable Singularities Banach Algebras where the Singular Elements are Removable Singularities Lawrence A. Harris Department of Mathematics, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40506-0027 E-mail: larry@ms.uky.edu Let

More information

Continuity of convex functions in normed spaces

Continuity of convex functions in normed spaces Continuity of convex functions in normed spaces In this chapter, we consider continuity properties of real-valued convex functions defined on open convex sets in normed spaces. Recall that every infinitedimensional

More information

Introduction to Functional Analysis

Introduction to Functional Analysis Introduction to Functional Analysis Carnegie Mellon University, 21-640, Spring 2014 Acknowledgements These notes are based on the lecture course given by Irene Fonseca but may differ from the exact lecture

More information

PROBLEMS. (b) (Polarization Identity) Show that in any inner product space

PROBLEMS. (b) (Polarization Identity) Show that in any inner product space 1 Professor Carl Cowen Math 54600 Fall 09 PROBLEMS 1. (Geometry in Inner Product Spaces) (a) (Parallelogram Law) Show that in any inner product space x + y 2 + x y 2 = 2( x 2 + y 2 ). (b) (Polarization

More information

arxiv: v1 [math.fa] 23 Jan 2019

arxiv: v1 [math.fa] 23 Jan 2019 arxiv:90.07736v [math.fa] 23 Jan 209 Numerical range of weighted composition operators which contain zero Mahsa Fatehi and Asma Negahdari January 24, 209 Abstract In this paper, we study when zero belongs

More information

TOPOLOGICAL GROUPS MATH 519

TOPOLOGICAL GROUPS MATH 519 TOPOLOGICAL GROUPS MATH 519 The purpose of these notes is to give a mostly self-contained topological background for the study of the representations of locally compact totally disconnected groups, as

More information

THE NEARLY ADDITIVE MAPS

THE NEARLY ADDITIVE MAPS Bull. Korean Math. Soc. 46 (009), No., pp. 199 07 DOI 10.4134/BKMS.009.46..199 THE NEARLY ADDITIVE MAPS Esmaeeil Ansari-Piri and Nasrin Eghbali Abstract. This note is a verification on the relations between

More information

Extreme points of compact convex sets

Extreme points of compact convex sets Extreme points of compact convex sets In this chapter, we are going to show that compact convex sets are determined by a proper subset, the set of its extreme points. Let us start with the main definition.

More information

BLOCH FUNCTIONS ON THE UNIT BALL OF AN INFINITE DIMENSIONAL HILBERT SPACE

BLOCH FUNCTIONS ON THE UNIT BALL OF AN INFINITE DIMENSIONAL HILBERT SPACE BLOCH FUNCTIONS ON THE UNIT BALL OF AN INFINITE DIMENSIONAL HILBERT SPACE OSCAR BLASCO, PABLO GALINDO, AND ALEJANDRO MIRALLES Abstract. The Bloch space has been studied on the open unit disk of C and some

More information

The Polynomial Numerical Index of L p (µ)

The Polynomial Numerical Index of L p (µ) KYUNGPOOK Math. J. 53(2013), 117-124 http://dx.doi.org/10.5666/kmj.2013.53.1.117 The Polynomial Numerical Index of L p (µ) Sung Guen Kim Department of Mathematics, Kyungpook National University, Daegu

More information

PRODUCTS OF MULTIPLICATION, COMPOSITION AND DIFFERENTIATION OPERATORS FROM MIXED-NORM SPACES TO WEIGHTED-TYPE SPACES. Fang Zhang and Yongmin Liu

PRODUCTS OF MULTIPLICATION, COMPOSITION AND DIFFERENTIATION OPERATORS FROM MIXED-NORM SPACES TO WEIGHTED-TYPE SPACES. Fang Zhang and Yongmin Liu TAIWANESE JOURNAL OF MATHEMATICS Vol. 18, No. 6, pp. 1927-1940, December 2014 DOI: 10.11650/tjm.18.2014.4311 This paper is available online at http://journal.taiwanmathsoc.org.tw PRODUCTS OF MULTIPLICATION,

More information

Weighted Composition Followed by Differentiation between Weighted Bergman Space and H on the Unit Ball 1

Weighted Composition Followed by Differentiation between Weighted Bergman Space and H on the Unit Ball 1 International Journal of Mathematical Analysis Vol 9, 015, no 4, 169-176 HIKARI Ltd, wwwm-hikaricom http://dxdoiorg/101988/ijma015411348 Weighted Composition Followed by Differentiation between Weighted

More information

TRANSLATION INVARIANCE OF FOCK SPACES

TRANSLATION INVARIANCE OF FOCK SPACES TRANSLATION INVARIANCE OF FOCK SPACES KEHE ZHU ABSTRACT. We show that there is only one Hilbert space of entire functions that is invariant under the action of naturally defined weighted translations.

More information

Invertible Composition Operators: The product of a composition operator with the adjoint of a composition operator.

Invertible Composition Operators: The product of a composition operator with the adjoint of a composition operator. Invertible Composition Operators: The product of a composition operator with the adjoint of a composition operator. John H. Clifford, Trieu Le and Alan Wiggins Abstract. In this paper, we study the product

More information

ON COMPACTNESS OF THE DIFFERENCE OF COMPOSITION OPERATORS. C φ 2 e = lim sup w 1

ON COMPACTNESS OF THE DIFFERENCE OF COMPOSITION OPERATORS. C φ 2 e = lim sup w 1 ON COMPACTNESS OF THE DIFFERENCE OF COMPOSITION OPERATORS PEKKA NIEMINEN AND EERO SAKSMAN Abstract. We give a negative answer to a conjecture of J. E. Shapiro concerning compactness of the dierence of

More information

LINEAR FRACTIONAL COMPOSITION OPERATORS ON H 2

LINEAR FRACTIONAL COMPOSITION OPERATORS ON H 2 J Integral Equations and Operator Theory (988, 5 60 LINEAR FRACTIONAL COMPOSITION OPERATORS ON H 2 CARL C COWEN Abstract If ϕ is an analytic function mapping the unit disk D into itself, the composition

More information

An Introduction to Complex Analysis and Geometry John P. D Angelo, Pure and Applied Undergraduate Texts Volume 12, American Mathematical Society, 2010

An Introduction to Complex Analysis and Geometry John P. D Angelo, Pure and Applied Undergraduate Texts Volume 12, American Mathematical Society, 2010 An Introduction to Complex Analysis and Geometry John P. D Angelo, Pure and Applied Undergraduate Texts Volume 12, American Mathematical Society, 2010 John P. D Angelo, Univ. of Illinois, Urbana IL 61801.

More information

FOCK SPACE TECHNIQUES IN TENSOR ALGEBRAS OF DIRECTED GRAPHS

FOCK SPACE TECHNIQUES IN TENSOR ALGEBRAS OF DIRECTED GRAPHS FOCK SPACE TECHNIQUES IN TENSOR ALGEBRAS OF DIRECTED GRAPHS ALVARO ARIAS Abstract. In [MS], Muhly and Solel developed a theory of tensor algebras over C - correspondences that extends the model theory

More information

1. If 1, ω, ω 2, -----, ω 9 are the 10 th roots of unity, then (1 + ω) (1 + ω 2 ) (1 + ω 9 ) is A) 1 B) 1 C) 10 D) 0

1. If 1, ω, ω 2, -----, ω 9 are the 10 th roots of unity, then (1 + ω) (1 + ω 2 ) (1 + ω 9 ) is A) 1 B) 1 C) 10 D) 0 4 INUTES. If, ω, ω, -----, ω 9 are the th roots of unity, then ( + ω) ( + ω ) ----- ( + ω 9 ) is B) D) 5. i If - i = a + ib, then a =, b = B) a =, b = a =, b = D) a =, b= 3. Find the integral values for

More information

NUMERICAL RADIUS OF A HOLOMORPHIC MAPPING

NUMERICAL RADIUS OF A HOLOMORPHIC MAPPING Geometric Complex Analysis edited by Junjiro Noguchi et al. World Scientific, Singapore, 1995 pp.1 7 NUMERICAL RADIUS OF A HOLOMORPHIC MAPPING YUN SUNG CHOI Department of Mathematics Pohang University

More information

Real and Complex Analysis, 3rd Edition, W.Rudin Elementary Hilbert Space Theory

Real and Complex Analysis, 3rd Edition, W.Rudin Elementary Hilbert Space Theory Real and Complex Analysis, 3rd Edition, W.Rudin Chapter 4 Elementary Hilbert Space Theory Yung-Hsiang Huang. It s easy to see M (M ) and the latter is a closed subspace of H. Given F be a closed subspace

More information

SOME ABSOLUTELY CONTINUOUS REPRESENTATIONS OF FUNCTION ALGEBRAS

SOME ABSOLUTELY CONTINUOUS REPRESENTATIONS OF FUNCTION ALGEBRAS Surveys in Mathematics and its Applications ISSN 1842-6298 Volume 1 (2006), 51 60 SOME ABSOLUTELY CONTINUOUS REPRESENTATIONS OF FUNCTION ALGEBRAS Adina Juratoni Abstract. In this paper we study some absolutely

More information

BKW-Operators on the Interval and the Sequence Spaces

BKW-Operators on the Interval and the Sequence Spaces journal of approximation theory 87, 159169 (1996) article no. 98 BKW-Operators on the Interval and the Sequence Spaces Keiji Izuchi Department of Mathematics, Faculty of Science, Niigata University, Niigata

More information

引用北海学園大学学園論集 (171): 11-24

引用北海学園大学学園論集 (171): 11-24 タイトル 著者 On Some Singular Integral Operato One to One Mappings on the Weight Hilbert Spaces YAMAMOTO, Takanori 引用北海学園大学学園論集 (171): 11-24 発行日 2017-03-25 On Some Singular Integral Operators Which are One

More information

A note on a construction of J. F. Feinstein

A note on a construction of J. F. Feinstein STUDIA MATHEMATICA 169 (1) (2005) A note on a construction of J. F. Feinstein by M. J. Heath (Nottingham) Abstract. In [6] J. F. Feinstein constructed a compact plane set X such that R(X), the uniform

More information

QUASI-UNIFORMLY POSITIVE OPERATORS IN KREIN SPACE. Denitizable operators in Krein spaces have spectral properties similar to those

QUASI-UNIFORMLY POSITIVE OPERATORS IN KREIN SPACE. Denitizable operators in Krein spaces have spectral properties similar to those QUASI-UNIFORMLY POSITIVE OPERATORS IN KREIN SPACE BRANKO CURGUS and BRANKO NAJMAN Denitizable operators in Krein spaces have spectral properties similar to those of selfadjoint operators in Hilbert spaces.

More information

Lecture Notes on Metric Spaces

Lecture Notes on Metric Spaces Lecture Notes on Metric Spaces Math 117: Summer 2007 John Douglas Moore Our goal of these notes is to explain a few facts regarding metric spaces not included in the first few chapters of the text [1],

More information

ON THE REGULARITY OF ONE PARAMETER TRANSFORMATION GROUPS IN BARRELED LOCALLY CONVEX TOPOLOGICAL VECTOR SPACES

ON THE REGULARITY OF ONE PARAMETER TRANSFORMATION GROUPS IN BARRELED LOCALLY CONVEX TOPOLOGICAL VECTOR SPACES Communications on Stochastic Analysis Vol. 9, No. 3 (2015) 413-418 Serials Publications www.serialspublications.com ON THE REGULARITY OF ONE PARAMETER TRANSFORMATION GROUPS IN BARRELED LOCALLY CONVEX TOPOLOGICAL

More information

Composition Operators with Multivalent Symbol

Composition Operators with Multivalent Symbol Composition Operators with Multivalent Symbol Rebecca G. Wahl University of South Dakota, Vermillion, South Dakota 57069 March 10, 007 Abstract If ϕ is an analytic map of the unit disk D into itself, the

More information

The Erwin Schrodinger International Boltzmanngasse 9. Institute for Mathematical Physics A-1090 Wien, Austria

The Erwin Schrodinger International Boltzmanngasse 9. Institute for Mathematical Physics A-1090 Wien, Austria ESI The Erwin Schrodinger International Boltzmanngasse 9 Institute for Mathematical Physics A-1090 Wien, Austria Common Homoclinic Points of Commuting Toral Automorphisms Anthony Manning Klaus Schmidt

More information

S. DUTTA AND T. S. S. R. K. RAO

S. DUTTA AND T. S. S. R. K. RAO ON WEAK -EXTREME POINTS IN BANACH SPACES S. DUTTA AND T. S. S. R. K. RAO Abstract. We study the extreme points of the unit ball of a Banach space that remain extreme when considered, under canonical embedding,

More information

Composition operators between weighted Bergman spaces and weighted Banach spaces of holomorphic functions

Composition operators between weighted Bergman spaces and weighted Banach spaces of holomorphic functions Irish Math. Soc. Bulletin Number 79, Summer 07, 75 85 ISSN 079-5578 Composition operators between weighted Bergman spaces and weighted Banach spaces of holomorphic functions ELKE WOLF Abstract. An analytic

More information

arxiv:math/ v1 [math.fa] 26 Oct 1993

arxiv:math/ v1 [math.fa] 26 Oct 1993 arxiv:math/9310217v1 [math.fa] 26 Oct 1993 ON COMPLEMENTED SUBSPACES OF SUMS AND PRODUCTS OF BANACH SPACES M.I.Ostrovskii Abstract. It is proved that there exist complemented subspaces of countable topological

More information

(convex combination!). Use convexity of f and multiply by the common denominator to get. Interchanging the role of x and y, we obtain that f is ( 2M ε

(convex combination!). Use convexity of f and multiply by the common denominator to get. Interchanging the role of x and y, we obtain that f is ( 2M ε 1. Continuity of convex functions in normed spaces In this chapter, we consider continuity properties of real-valued convex functions defined on open convex sets in normed spaces. Recall that every infinitedimensional

More information

2 DAVID W. BOYD AND R. DANIEL MAULDIN of a Pisot number, A() 6=, A(1=) 6=, and ja(z)j jq(z)j on jzj = 1. Thus jf(z)j 1onjzj = 1 and f(z) has a unique

2 DAVID W. BOYD AND R. DANIEL MAULDIN of a Pisot number, A() 6=, A(1=) 6=, and ja(z)j jq(z)j on jzj = 1. Thus jf(z)j 1onjzj = 1 and f(z) has a unique Topology and Its Applications, 69(1996), 115-12 THE ORDER TYPE OF THE SET OF PISOT NUMBERS David W. Boyd and R. Daniel Mauldin y University of British Columbia and University of North Texas September 7,

More information

Interpolating Sequences on Uniform Algebras

Interpolating Sequences on Uniform Algebras Interpolating Sequences on Uniform Algebras Pablo Galindo a, Mikael Lindström b, Alejandro Miralles,c a Departamento de Análisis Matemático, Universidad de Valencia. 46100 Burjasot, Valencia, Spain b Department

More information

Convex Geometry. Carsten Schütt

Convex Geometry. Carsten Schütt Convex Geometry Carsten Schütt November 25, 2006 2 Contents 0.1 Convex sets... 4 0.2 Separation.... 9 0.3 Extreme points..... 15 0.4 Blaschke selection principle... 18 0.5 Polytopes and polyhedra.... 23

More information

Multiplication Operators with Closed Range in Operator Algebras

Multiplication Operators with Closed Range in Operator Algebras J. Ana. Num. Theor. 1, No. 1, 1-5 (2013) 1 Journal of Analysis & Number Theory An International Journal Multiplication Operators with Closed Range in Operator Algebras P. Sam Johnson Department of Mathematical

More information

ON THE BANACH-ISOMORPHIC CLASSIFICATION OF L p SPACES OF HYPERFINITE SEMIFINITE VON NEUMANN ALGEBRAS F. A. SUKOCHEV Abstract. We present a survey of r

ON THE BANACH-ISOMORPHIC CLASSIFICATION OF L p SPACES OF HYPERFINITE SEMIFINITE VON NEUMANN ALGEBRAS F. A. SUKOCHEV Abstract. We present a survey of r ON THE BANACH-ISOMORPHIC CLASSIFICATION OF L p SPACES OF HYPERFINITE SEMIFINITE VON NEUMANN ALGEBRAS F. A. SUKOCHEV Abstract. We present a survey of recent results in the Banach space classication of non-commutative

More information

Math 240 (Driver) Qual Exam (5/22/2017)

Math 240 (Driver) Qual Exam (5/22/2017) 1 Name: I.D. #: Math 240 (Driver) Qual Exam (5/22/2017) Instructions: Clearly explain and justify your answers. You may cite theorems from the text, notes, or class as long as they are not what the problem

More information

Biholomorphic functions on dual of Banach Space

Biholomorphic functions on dual of Banach Space Biholomorphic functions on dual of Banach Space Mary Lilian Lourenço University of São Paulo - Brazil Joint work with H. Carrión and P. Galindo Conference on Non Linear Functional Analysis. Workshop on

More information

On the simplest expression of the perturbed Moore Penrose metric generalized inverse

On the simplest expression of the perturbed Moore Penrose metric generalized inverse Annals of the University of Bucharest (mathematical series) 4 (LXII) (2013), 433 446 On the simplest expression of the perturbed Moore Penrose metric generalized inverse Jianbing Cao and Yifeng Xue Communicated

More information

SHARP BOUNDARY TRACE INEQUALITIES. 1. Introduction

SHARP BOUNDARY TRACE INEQUALITIES. 1. Introduction SHARP BOUNDARY TRACE INEQUALITIES GILES AUCHMUTY Abstract. This paper describes sharp inequalities for the trace of Sobolev functions on the boundary of a bounded region R N. The inequalities bound (semi-)norms

More information

Theorem 1. Suppose that is a Fuchsian group of the second kind. Then S( ) n J 6= and J( ) n T 6= : Corollary. When is of the second kind, the Bers con

Theorem 1. Suppose that is a Fuchsian group of the second kind. Then S( ) n J 6= and J( ) n T 6= : Corollary. When is of the second kind, the Bers con ON THE BERS CONJECTURE FOR FUCHSIAN GROUPS OF THE SECOND KIND DEDICATED TO PROFESSOR TATSUO FUJI'I'E ON HIS SIXTIETH BIRTHDAY Toshiyuki Sugawa x1. Introduction. Supposebthat D is a simply connected domain

More information

ADJOINTS, ABSOLUTE VALUES AND POLAR DECOMPOSITIONS

ADJOINTS, ABSOLUTE VALUES AND POLAR DECOMPOSITIONS J. OPERATOR THEORY 44(2000), 243 254 c Copyright by Theta, 2000 ADJOINTS, ABSOLUTE VALUES AND POLAR DECOMPOSITIONS DOUGLAS BRIDGES, FRED RICHMAN and PETER SCHUSTER Communicated by William B. Arveson Abstract.

More information

Functional Analysis. Martin Brokate. 1 Normed Spaces 2. 2 Hilbert Spaces The Principle of Uniform Boundedness 32

Functional Analysis. Martin Brokate. 1 Normed Spaces 2. 2 Hilbert Spaces The Principle of Uniform Boundedness 32 Functional Analysis Martin Brokate Contents 1 Normed Spaces 2 2 Hilbert Spaces 2 3 The Principle of Uniform Boundedness 32 4 Extension, Reflexivity, Separation 37 5 Compact subsets of C and L p 46 6 Weak

More information

Chapter 3: Baire category and open mapping theorems

Chapter 3: Baire category and open mapping theorems MA3421 2016 17 Chapter 3: Baire category and open mapping theorems A number of the major results rely on completeness via the Baire category theorem. 3.1 The Baire category theorem 3.1.1 Definition. A

More information

UNIQUENESS OF THE UNIFORM NORM

UNIQUENESS OF THE UNIFORM NORM proceedings of the american mathematical society Volume 116, Number 2, October 1992 UNIQUENESS OF THE UNIFORM NORM WITH AN APPLICATION TO TOPOLOGICAL ALGEBRAS S. J. BHATT AND D. J. KARIA (Communicated

More information

balls, Edalat and Heckmann [4] provided a simple explicit construction of a computational model for a Polish space. They also gave domain theoretic pr

balls, Edalat and Heckmann [4] provided a simple explicit construction of a computational model for a Polish space. They also gave domain theoretic pr Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science 6 (1997) URL: http://www.elsevier.nl/locate/entcs/volume6.html 9 pages Computational Models for Ultrametric Spaces Bob Flagg Department of Mathematics and

More information

290 J.M. Carnicer, J.M. Pe~na basis (u 1 ; : : : ; u n ) consisting of minimally supported elements, yet also has a basis (v 1 ; : : : ; v n ) which f

290 J.M. Carnicer, J.M. Pe~na basis (u 1 ; : : : ; u n ) consisting of minimally supported elements, yet also has a basis (v 1 ; : : : ; v n ) which f Numer. Math. 67: 289{301 (1994) Numerische Mathematik c Springer-Verlag 1994 Electronic Edition Least supported bases and local linear independence J.M. Carnicer, J.M. Pe~na? Departamento de Matematica

More information

THE ALTERNATIVE DUNFORD-PETTIS PROPERTY FOR SUBSPACES OF THE COMPACT OPERATORS

THE ALTERNATIVE DUNFORD-PETTIS PROPERTY FOR SUBSPACES OF THE COMPACT OPERATORS THE ALTERNATIVE DUNFORD-PETTIS PROPERTY FOR SUBSPACES OF THE COMPACT OPERATORS MARÍA D. ACOSTA AND ANTONIO M. PERALTA Abstract. A Banach space X has the alternative Dunford-Pettis property if for every

More information

Near convexity, metric convexity, and convexity

Near convexity, metric convexity, and convexity Near convexity, metric convexity, and convexity Fred Richman Florida Atlantic University Boca Raton, FL 33431 28 February 2005 Abstract It is shown that a subset of a uniformly convex normed space is nearly

More information

PRODUCTS OF TOEPLITZ OPERATORS ON THE FOCK SPACE

PRODUCTS OF TOEPLITZ OPERATORS ON THE FOCK SPACE PRODUCTS OF TOEPLITZ OPERATORS ON THE FOCK SPACE HONG RAE CHO, JONG-DO PARK, AND KEHE ZHU ABSTRACT. Let f and g be functions, not identically zero, in the Fock space F 2 α of. We show that the product

More information

A CHARACTERIZATION OF STRICT LOCAL MINIMIZERS OF ORDER ONE FOR STATIC MINMAX PROBLEMS IN THE PARAMETRIC CONSTRAINT CASE

A CHARACTERIZATION OF STRICT LOCAL MINIMIZERS OF ORDER ONE FOR STATIC MINMAX PROBLEMS IN THE PARAMETRIC CONSTRAINT CASE Journal of Applied Analysis Vol. 6, No. 1 (2000), pp. 139 148 A CHARACTERIZATION OF STRICT LOCAL MINIMIZERS OF ORDER ONE FOR STATIC MINMAX PROBLEMS IN THE PARAMETRIC CONSTRAINT CASE A. W. A. TAHA Received

More information

5 Banach Algebras. 5.1 Invertibility and the Spectrum. Robert Oeckl FA NOTES 5 19/05/2010 1

5 Banach Algebras. 5.1 Invertibility and the Spectrum. Robert Oeckl FA NOTES 5 19/05/2010 1 Robert Oeckl FA NOTES 5 19/05/2010 1 5 Banach Algebras 5.1 Invertibility and the Spectrum Suppose X is a Banach space. Then we are often interested in (continuous) operators on this space, i.e, elements

More information

Boundedly complete weak-cauchy basic sequences in Banach spaces with the PCP

Boundedly complete weak-cauchy basic sequences in Banach spaces with the PCP Journal of Functional Analysis 253 (2007) 772 781 www.elsevier.com/locate/jfa Note Boundedly complete weak-cauchy basic sequences in Banach spaces with the PCP Haskell Rosenthal Department of Mathematics,

More information

ON WEAK INTEGRABILITY AND BOUNDEDNESS IN BANACH SPACES

ON WEAK INTEGRABILITY AND BOUNDEDNESS IN BANACH SPACES ON WEAK INTEGRABILITY AND BOUNDEDNESS IN BANACH SPACES TROND A. ABRAHAMSEN, OLAV NYGAARD, AND MÄRT PÕLDVERE Abstract. Thin and thick sets in normed spaces were defined and studied by M. I. Kadets and V.

More information

arxiv: v1 [math.fa] 2 Jan 2017

arxiv: v1 [math.fa] 2 Jan 2017 Methods of Functional Analysis and Topology Vol. 22 (2016), no. 4, pp. 387 392 L-DUNFORD-PETTIS PROPERTY IN BANACH SPACES A. RETBI AND B. EL WAHBI arxiv:1701.00552v1 [math.fa] 2 Jan 2017 Abstract. In this

More information

Richard DiSalvo. Dr. Elmer. Mathematical Foundations of Economics. Fall/Spring,

Richard DiSalvo. Dr. Elmer. Mathematical Foundations of Economics. Fall/Spring, The Finite Dimensional Normed Linear Space Theorem Richard DiSalvo Dr. Elmer Mathematical Foundations of Economics Fall/Spring, 20-202 The claim that follows, which I have called the nite-dimensional normed

More information

Lax Solution Part 4. October 27, 2016

Lax Solution Part 4.   October 27, 2016 Lax Solution Part 4 www.mathtuition88.com October 27, 2016 Textbook: Functional Analysis by Peter D. Lax Exercises: Ch 16: Q2 4. Ch 21: Q1, 2, 9, 10. Ch 28: 1, 5, 9, 10. 1 Chapter 16 Exercise 2 Let h =

More information

Notes on Integrable Functions and the Riesz Representation Theorem Math 8445, Winter 06, Professor J. Segert. f(x) = f + (x) + f (x).

Notes on Integrable Functions and the Riesz Representation Theorem Math 8445, Winter 06, Professor J. Segert. f(x) = f + (x) + f (x). References: Notes on Integrable Functions and the Riesz Representation Theorem Math 8445, Winter 06, Professor J. Segert Evans, Partial Differential Equations, Appendix 3 Reed and Simon, Functional Analysis,

More information

Weak and strong convergence theorems of modified SP-iterations for generalized asymptotically quasi-nonexpansive mappings

Weak and strong convergence theorems of modified SP-iterations for generalized asymptotically quasi-nonexpansive mappings Mathematica Moravica Vol. 20:1 (2016), 125 144 Weak and strong convergence theorems of modified SP-iterations for generalized asymptotically quasi-nonexpansive mappings G.S. Saluja Abstract. The aim of

More information

ITERATIVE SCHEMES FOR APPROXIMATING SOLUTIONS OF ACCRETIVE OPERATORS IN BANACH SPACES SHOJI KAMIMURA AND WATARU TAKAHASHI. Received December 14, 1999

ITERATIVE SCHEMES FOR APPROXIMATING SOLUTIONS OF ACCRETIVE OPERATORS IN BANACH SPACES SHOJI KAMIMURA AND WATARU TAKAHASHI. Received December 14, 1999 Scientiae Mathematicae Vol. 3, No. 1(2000), 107 115 107 ITERATIVE SCHEMES FOR APPROXIMATING SOLUTIONS OF ACCRETIVE OPERATORS IN BANACH SPACES SHOJI KAMIMURA AND WATARU TAKAHASHI Received December 14, 1999

More information

IN AN ALGEBRA OF OPERATORS

IN AN ALGEBRA OF OPERATORS Bull. Korean Math. Soc. 54 (2017), No. 2, pp. 443 454 https://doi.org/10.4134/bkms.b160011 pissn: 1015-8634 / eissn: 2234-3016 q-frequent HYPERCYCLICITY IN AN ALGEBRA OF OPERATORS Jaeseong Heo, Eunsang

More information

l(y j ) = 0 for all y j (1)

l(y j ) = 0 for all y j (1) Problem 1. The closed linear span of a subset {y j } of a normed vector space is defined as the intersection of all closed subspaces containing all y j and thus the smallest such subspace. 1 Show that

More information

Function Spaces - selected open problems

Function Spaces - selected open problems Contemporary Mathematics Function Spaces - selected open problems Krzysztof Jarosz Abstract. We discuss briefly selected open problems concerning various function spaces. 1. Introduction We discuss several

More information

arxiv: v2 [math.cv] 11 Mar 2016 BEYAZ BAŞAK KOCA AND NAZIM SADIK

arxiv: v2 [math.cv] 11 Mar 2016 BEYAZ BAŞAK KOCA AND NAZIM SADIK INVARIANT SUBSPACES GENERATED BY A SINGLE FUNCTION IN THE POLYDISC arxiv:1603.01988v2 [math.cv] 11 Mar 2016 BEYAZ BAŞAK KOCA AND NAZIM SADIK Abstract. In this study, we partially answer the question left

More information