deduction of ⅓ marks for a 1-mark question and ⅔ marks for a 2-mark question. 8. Non-programmable type Calculator is allowed

Size: px
Start display at page:

Download "deduction of ⅓ marks for a 1-mark question and ⅔ marks for a 2-mark question. 8. Non-programmable type Calculator is allowed"

Transcription

1 . This question paper consists of sections, General Aptitude (GA) for 5 marks and the subject specific GATE paper for 85 marks. Both these sections are compulsory. The GA section consists of questions. Question numbers to 5 are of -mark each, while question numbers 6 to are of -mark each. The subject specific GATE paper section consists of 55 questions, out of which question numbers to 5 are of -mark each, while question numbers 6 to 65 are of -mark each.. The question paper may consist of questions of multiple choice type (MCQ) and numerical answer type. 4. Multiple choice type questions will have four choices against (a),, (c), (d), out of which only ONE is the correct answer. 5. For numerical answer type questions, each question will have a numerical answer and there will not be any choices. 6. All questions that are not attempted will result in zero marks. However, wrong answers for multiple choice type questions (MCQ) will result in NEGATIVE marks. For all MCQ questions a wrong answer will result in deduction of ⅓ marks for a -mark question and ⅔ marks for a -mark question. 7. There is NO NEGATIVE MARKING for questions of NUMERICAL ANSWER TYPE. 8. Non-programmable type Calculator is allowed -5, Mall Road, G.T.B. Nagar, Opp. G.T.B. Nagar Metro Station Gate No., Delhi- 9 Delhi- 6 DOWNLOAD CAREER ENDEAVOUR APP E : info@careerendeavour.com South Delhi : 8-A/, Jia Sarai, w : Near-IIT ww w.careerendeavour.com Hauz Khas, New Delhi-6, Ph : -6858, 6869 North Delhi : -5, Mall Road, G.T.B. Nagar (Opp. Metro Gate No. ), Delhi-9, Ph: ,

2 Q.-Q. 5 carry ONE mark each.. The digit in the unit position of the integer is x 4. If, then x 6 x 6 (a) x x (c) x 6 (d) x 6. In a flag, there are 5 paise coins, 5 paise coins and rupee coins, proportional to the numbers, 4 and. If the amount to Rs,, then number of rupee coins is (a) 4 5 (c) 8 (d) Choose the most appropriate word from the options given below to complete the following sentence. The official aswered that the complaints of the citizen would be looked into (a) respectably respectfully (c) reputably (d) respectively 5. Choose the statement where underlined word is used correctly (a) The minister insured the victims that everything would be all right He ensured that the company will not have to bear any loss (c) The actor got himself ensured against any accident (d) The teacher insured students of good result. Q.6-Q. carry TWO marks each. 6. The graph shows the production of rice in 6 states in 5, 6 and 7. What is the ratio of minimum production and maximum production in any of the given states in any of the given years? A B C D E F STATE (a) : : (c) : (d) : 4 7. If FRIEND is coded as HUMJTK, how is CANDLE written in that code? (a) EDRIRL DCQHQV (c) ESJFME (d) FYOBOC South Delhi : 8-A/, Jia Sarai, Near-IIT Hauz Khas, New Delhi-6, Ph : -6858, 6869 North Delhi : -5, Mall Road, G.T.B. Nagar (Opp. Metro Gate No. ), Delhi-9, Ph: ,

3 8. The word similar in meaning to dreary is (a) cheerful dreamy (c) hard (d) dismal 9. Fill in the blank with the correct idiom/phrase That boy from the town was a in the sleepy village (a) dog out of herd sheep from the heap (c) fish out of water (d) bird from the flock. Consider the statement Every house in every locality has atleast one member serving in either, Indian army or Indian airforce Negation of this statement is (a) There is a house in every locality that has no member serving in either Indian army or Indian airforce. There is a house in a locality that has all the members serving in either Indian army or Indian airforce. (c) There is a house in a locality that has no member serving in either Indian army or Indian airforce. (d) Every house in a locality has all the members serving in either Indian army or Indian airforce. Q.-Q.5 carry one mark each.. The average kinetic energy of an electron in the n = state of Li ++ is ev (upto one decimal places). A spin ½ particle is in a state where and are the eigenstates of S ˆz operator. The expectation value of the spin angular momentum measured along x-direction, is (a). The value of the commutator bracket xˆ (c) (d) ˆ 4, px (a) 4 i xˆ, pˆ x i xˆ, pˆ x (c) i xˆ, pˆ x (d) 4 ixˆ, pˆ x is 4. Let, m be the simultaneous eigenkets of ˆL and L ˆz respectively. The value of, Lˆ ˆ x ily, is (upto two decimal places) 5. An electron makes a transition from the valence band to the conduction band in a direct band gap semiconductor. Which of the following is not true? (a) there is momentum change in the electron a photon is absorbed in the process (c) electrons and hole pairs are created (d) the threshold of continuous optical absorption at frequency 6. An intrinsic material A has an energy gap.6 ev while material B has an energy gap of.7 ev. The ratio of intrinsic carriers densities n i i A n B at K is 7. The highest spin multiplicity of the spectroscopic terms resulting from the LS coupling of a p p 4d electrons. (a) (c) (d) 4 8. If the mass of the electron will be halved then ground state energy of the He + will (a) increase decrease (c) remain same (d) can t say South Delhi : 8-A/, Jia Sarai, Near-IIT Hauz Khas, New Delhi-6, Ph : -6858, 6869 North Delhi : -5, Mall Road, G.T.B. Nagar (Opp. Metro Gate No. ), Delhi-9, Ph: ,

4 9. The reduced mass of a molecule A is twice the reduced mass of a molecule B and also force constant of molecule A is twice the force constant of molecule B. Then the ratio of their ground state energy of pure vibrational motion is. If the reaction, p X proceeds via strong interaction, then the value of isospin I and its third component I of the particle X are respectively (a) and and (c) and (d) and. For the reaction, p k MeV MeV MeV, if m 6, m 98., 49.8 p m k c c and c m 9.5 MeV c MeV (upto two decimal places)., then the threshold kinetic energy of the pions when target proton is at rest is equal to. How many different output states the following circuit is having? S Q S Q S Q 4 CLK R Q R Q R Q (a) 4 (c) 5 (d) 6. In the transistor circuit shown in Figure, collector-to-ground voltage is + V. Which of the following is the probable cause of error? + V k + V 47 k (a) Collector-emitter terminals shorted (c) k resistor open Emitter to ground connection open (d) Collector-base terminals shorted 4. Which of the following cannot be Lagrangian of a particle where equation of motino is x x (a) x x (c) t t x x xx x x xe xe (d) x x xe t 5. A charged particle is placed in uniform electric field. The phase space trajectory of the particle is (a) straight line ellipse (c) parabola (d) hyperbola 6. Consider the following complex function, cot z f z z which of the following statements is/are CORRECT? (a) z n,,,... are simple poles of f(z) z= is a second order pole of f(z) (c) z = is a third order pole of f(z). (d) z = is removable singular point of f(z) South Delhi : 8-A/, Jia Sarai, Near-IIT Hauz Khas, New Delhi-6, Ph : -6858, 6869 North Delhi : -5, Mall Road, G.T.B. Nagar (Opp. Metro Gate No. ), Delhi-9, Ph: ,

5 7. The value of the integral 5 4 x e x dx is equal to (upto one decima; places) 8. A semicircular ring of radius R has uniform charge Q on its periphery. Its dipole moment with respect to origin at centre is (a) QR Q R (c) QR (d) 4 QR 9. Magnetic field in a region through which electromagnetic waves are propagating is given to be B B B ˆ cos kz cos tj. Average value of poynting vector is, then the value of k (an integer). A dielectric sphere of radius a and permitivity is surrounded by a dielectric shell of inner and outer radii a and b respectively. The potential inside the sphere and the shell are given respectively by ( r, ) Ar and ( r, ) Aa / r. The free charge density on the interface (a) zero ( ) A (c) ( ) A (d) A. A longwire carrying current I lies at rest in labframe in x-direction. An observer moves in x-direction with velocity v with respect to the wire. Charge density on wire measured by the observer will be Iv (a) c I c Iv (c) c v / c (d) Iv v / c. The heat of melting of ice at atmosphere pressure and ºC is.46 kcal/mol. The density of ice under these conditions is.97 g/cm and the density of water is.9998 g/cm. If mole of ice melted under these conditions, then the change in the internal energy will be (a).46 cal. cal (c). cal (d). cal. A system consists of N very weakly interacting particles at a temperature sufficiently high such that classical statistics are applicable. Each particle has mass m and oscillates in one direction about its equilibrium position. The heat capacity at temperature T,if restoring force is proportional to x. (a) Nk 5 Nk (c) Nk (d) Nk 4 4. Mass density of a circular disc of radius R and mass M is proportional to n th power of distance from center of 5 disc. If moment of inertia of disc about its axis passing through center and perpendicular to its plane lie 7 MR then value of n is (a) (c) `(d) 4 5. Let (p, q) and (P, Q) be two pairs of canonical variables. The transformation Q q cos p, P q sin p is canonical for (a),, (c), (d), c South Delhi : 8-A/, Jia Sarai, Near-IIT Hauz Khas, New Delhi-6, Ph : -6858, 6869 North Delhi : -5, Mall Road, G.T.B. Nagar (Opp. Metro Gate No. ), Delhi-9, Ph: ,

6 Q.6-Q.65 carry TWO marks each. 6. A particle of mass m is moving inside a deep square well potential, extending from x = to x = L. At time t =, the state vector of the particle is given as x x, t sin L L The uncertainty in the position of the particle, will be L. (Upto decimal places) 7. Consider the elastic scattering of 5 MeV neutrons from a nucleus. If the scattering is due to s wave and p wave only with phase shifts and respectively, then total cross-section will be barn. 6 (Upto decimal places). [Given : barn = 8 m ) V r, where is a positive constant. In a r stationary state, the relation between average kinetic energy and energy of the particle is 8. A particle is moving in a spherically symmetric potential (a) E E k Ek 5 E (c) Ek E (d) Ek E 9. A spherical blackbody A of radius cm, is maintained at a temperature of K. Another spherical blackbody B of radius 5 cm, is maintained at a temperature 4K. Let I and max denote the total intensity of radiation and the wavelength where maximum radiation is emitted. Then A (a) max B A B max, I A I B max max, I 6 A 9 I 5 A B A B 9 (c) max max, I A I B (d) max max, I A IB Consider a spinless particle of mass m, moving in an infinite potential well of length L, with walls at x = L and x = L V x L x L otherwise If the bottom of the potential, is modified by the perturbation V x V correction to ground state energy of the particle, is (a) 8V (c) V p B sin x L then first order 4. Which of the following is not true about BCS theory of superconductivity? (a) the electron-lattice-electron leads to an energy gap of observed magnitude an attractive interaction between electrons can lead to a ground state separated from excited state by an energy gap (c) magnetic flux through a superconductivity ring is quantised and effective unit of charge is e (d) the coherence length and penetration are not emerges as natural consequence of BCS theory. (d) V 6 South Delhi : 8-A/, Jia Sarai, Near-IIT Hauz Khas, New Delhi-6, Ph : -6858, 6869 North Delhi : -5, Mall Road, G.T.B. Nagar (Opp. Metro Gate No. ), Delhi-9, Ph: ,

7 4. The total resistivity of a sample can be written as the sum of contribution coming out from individual scattering process m ne impurity el el el phonon where, is the scattering rate. Which of the following is correct? (T = temperature) el el el phonon (a) goes as T while goes as T 5 el phonon impurity (c) goes as T (d) none of these goes as T while el el goes as T. 4. The debye temperature of carbon (diamond) is 8.5 K. The heighest lattice frequency involved in the debye theory is Hz (correct upto decimal places). 44. The magnetic moment of spectroscopic term p, in terms of Bohr s magneton is 45. A sodium atom in the first excited p states has a lifetime of 5 ns for decaying to the gro und s state. The corresponding line width of the transition (in frequency) units is (a). 7 Hz. 7 Hz (c) 4 6 Hz (d).5 7 Hz 46. The strangeneous and hypercharge of a neutral elementary particle which has baryon number B = + and third component of Isospin I = ½ are, respectively (a) and and (c) and (d) and X7 and Y 7 are mirror nuclei. If their coulomb energy difference is MeV, then their radius is equal to fermi. (upto two decimal places) V 48. A diode whose terminal characteristic are related as I D I s, where I s is the reverse saturation current VT and V T is the thermal voltage (= 5 mv), is based at ID ma. Its dynamic resistance is ohms (an integer). 49. For the diode circuit shown, VZ ON is V i 6 V, V of diodes to be.7 V the required value of V i to get zener diode k D k V 6V V 7 (a).7 Vi 6V Vi 6V (c).7 Vi 8.V (d) Vi 8.V 5. For the circuit shown in the figure, the delays of NOR gates, multiplexers and inverters are ns,.5 ns and ns, respectively. If all the inputs P, Q, R, S and T are applied at the same time instant, the maximum propagation delay (in ns) of the circuit is P Q R S MUX S MUX S Y T South Delhi : 8-A/, Jia Sarai, Near-IIT Hauz Khas, New Delhi-6, Ph : -6858, 6869 North Delhi : -5, Mall Road, G.T.B. Nagar (Opp. Metro Gate No. ), Delhi-9, Ph: ,

8 5. A solid sphere of mass M and radius R rolls down an inclined plane of inclination, from a height h. If the sphere starts from rest then work done by frictional torque on the sphere during the time it take to reach bottom of inclined plane is (a) mgh sin 5 mgh (c) 7 mgh (d) 5 7 mgh 5. Two particle each of rest mass m are moving in +x and +y direction with equal speed c/ with respect to lab frame. The energy of one particle in rest frame of the other is (a) m c 4 m c (c) m c (d) m c 5. The alzebraic multiplicity of the eigenvalue, corresponding to the following matrix 4 is equal to (an integer) 54. The fourier transform of the function, 5 8 ikx F f x f x e dx f x e a xb (a, b are positive real constant) will be ikb a ikb a kb a (a) e e (c) e k a k a k a kb a (d) e k a 55. Consider the following function, If f f x (where for x for x x is represented by the following series, f x CP x CP x... CnPn x... Pn x is Legendre polynomial of order n), then the value of the coefficient C will be equal to (upto two decimal places) 56. Which of the following relation is/are not CORRECT? (Symbols have their usual meanings) (a) Lˆ, ˆ ˆ i L j i ijk Lk ˆi, ˆ j i ijk k South Delhi : 8-A/, Jia Sarai, Near-IIT Hauz Khas, New Delhi-6, Ph : -6858, 6869 North Delhi : -5, Mall Road, G.T.B. Nagar (Opp. Metro Gate No. ), Delhi-9, Ph: ,

9 (c) ˆ ˆ i ˆ (d) ijk i j k i j ijk k A B C A B C A long wire lying in z-direction carries a time varying current. At some point (x, y, z) near the middle of wire which of the following is true for electric field (a) E E E E E, E x y z x y z (c) E E, E (d) E, E, E x y z x y z 58. A circular wire of radius R carries a current I I cost. Magnetic field at the distance r from centre of wire c for r >> R and r n varies as B kr. The value of n is (an integer) 59. When relativistic charge particle is thrown into perpendicular magnetic field. It moves in circular path. If radius of circular orbits be R and R for kinetic energies m c and m c respectively then value of 6. A carnot engine has a cycle as shown in the figure below. If W and W ' represents work done by mole of monatomic and diatomic gas, respectively, then the ratio (Your answer should be upto two decimal places) P 4T W ' W R R is 4 T V 64V 6. A ohm resistor is held at a constant temperature of K. A current of amperes is passed through the resistor for sec. The change in entropy of the resistor is (J/K) 6. The relative energy fluctuation E of an ideal gas of N atoms at temperature T is : E (a) / N N / (c) N (d) 6. Consider a system of two atoms, each having only quantum states of energies, and. The system is in contact with a heat reservoir at temperature T. Assume the particles obey classical statistics and are indistinguishable The partition function of the system will be V N (a) exp exp exp exp (c) exp exp exp (d) exp exp exp South Delhi : 8-A/, Jia Sarai, Near-IIT Hauz Khas, New Delhi-6, Ph : -6858, 6869 North Delhi : -5, Mall Road, G.T.B. Nagar (Opp. Metro Gate No. ), Delhi-9, Ph: ,

10 64. The Lagrangian of a diatomic molecule is given by m k L x x x x where, m is the mass each atom and x, x are displacements from equilibrium position and k >. The normal frequencies are (a) k m / k m /4 (c) k m /4 (d) k m / p 65. The Hamiltonian of a particle is H pq, where q is generalised coordinate and p is the corresponding canonical momentum. The Lagrangian m is (a) m dq q dt m dq q dt (c) m dq dq q q dt dt (d) m dq dq q q dt dt South Delhi : 8-A/, Jia Sarai, Near-IIT Hauz Khas, New Delhi-6, Ph : -6858, 6869 North Delhi : -5, Mall Road, G.T.B. Nagar (Opp. Metro Gate No. ), Delhi-9, Ph: ,

11 Space for rough work South Delhi : 8-A/, Jia Sarai, Near-IIT Hauz Khas, New Delhi-6, Ph : -6858, 6869 North Delhi : -5, Mall Road, G.T.B. Nagar (Opp. Metro Gate No. ), Delhi-9, Ph: ,

12 PHYSICS-PH GATE TEST SERIES-D Date: 4--8 ANSWER KEY. (). (d) (a) 7. (a) 8. (d) 9. (d). (c). (.5 to.7).. (d) 4. (.4 to.48) 5. (a) 6. ( to ) 7. (d) 8. (a) 9. (). (a). (899 to 89). (d). 4. (d) 5. (c) 6. (c) 7. (.5) 8. (a) 9. (). (c). (c).. (d) 4. (c) 5. (d) 6. (.6 to.9) 7. (.7 to.9) 8. (a) 9. (a) 4. (a) 4. (d) 4. (a) 4. (.86) 44. (.64 to.69) 45. (a) 46. (d) 47. (7.75 to 7.79) 48. (.4 to.7) 49. (d) 5. (7) 5. (c) () () 56. (c) ( ) 59. (.6 to.65) 6. (. to.4) 6. () 6. (a) (d) 65. South Delhi : 8-A/, Jia Sarai, Near-IIT Hauz Khas, New Delhi-6, Ph : -6858, 6869 North Delhi : -5, Mall Road, G.T.B. Nagar (Opp. Metro Gate No. ), Delhi-9, Ph: ,

deduction of ⅓ marks for a 1-mark question and ⅔ marks for a 2-mark question. 8. Non-programmable type Calculator is allowed

deduction of ⅓ marks for a 1-mark question and ⅔ marks for a 2-mark question. 8. Non-programmable type Calculator is allowed . This question paper consists of sections, General Aptitude (GA) for 5 marks and the subject specific GATE paper for 85 marks. oth these sections are compulsory. The GA section consists of 0 questions.

More information

Regn. No. North Delhi : 33-35, Mall Road, G.T.B. Nagar (Opp. Metro Gate No. 3), Delhi-09, Ph: ,

Regn. No. North Delhi : 33-35, Mall Road, G.T.B. Nagar (Opp. Metro Gate No. 3), Delhi-09, Ph: , 1. Section-A contains Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ). Each question has 4 choices, (b), (c) and, for its answer, out of which ONLY ONE is correct. From Q.1 to Q.1 carries 1 Marks and Q.11 to Q. carries

More information

PHYSICAL SCIENCES MODEL QUESTION PAPER PART A PART B

PHYSICAL SCIENCES MODEL QUESTION PAPER PART A PART B PHYSICAL SCIENCES This Test Booklet will contain 65 ( Part `A + Part `B+5 Part C ) Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs). Candidates will be required to answer 5 in part A, in Part B and questions in Part C

More information

Regn. No. North Delhi : 33-35, Mall Road, G.T.B. Nagar (Opp. Metro Gate No. 3), Delhi-09, Ph: ,

Regn. No. North Delhi : 33-35, Mall Road, G.T.B. Nagar (Opp. Metro Gate No. 3), Delhi-09, Ph: , 1. Section-A contains 0 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ). Each question has 4 choices (a), (b), (c) and (d), for its answer, out of which ONLY ONE is correct. From Q.1 to Q.10 carries 1 Marks and Q.11 to

More information

deduction of ⅓ marks for a 1-mark question and ⅔ marks for a 2-mark question. 8. Non-programmable type Calculator is allowed TRGET GTE-9. This question paper consists of sections, General ptitude (G) for 5 marks and the subject specific GTE paper for 85 marks. Both these sections are compulsory. The G section consists of questions.

More information

Regn. No. South Delhi : 28-A/11, Jia Sarai, Near-IIT Metro Station, New Delhi-16, Ph : ,

Regn. No. South Delhi : 28-A/11, Jia Sarai, Near-IIT Metro Station, New Delhi-16, Ph : , 1. Section-A contains 3 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ). Each question has 4 choices (a), (b), (c) and (d), for its answer, out of which ONLY ONE is correct. From Q.1 to Q.1 carries 1 Marks and Q.11 to

More information

Regn. No. South Delhi : 28-A/11, Jia Sarai, Near-IIT Hauz Khas, New Delhi-16, Ph : ,

Regn. No. South Delhi : 28-A/11, Jia Sarai, Near-IIT Hauz Khas, New Delhi-16, Ph : , . Section-A contains Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ). Each question has 4 choices,, and, for its answer, out of which ONLY ONE is correct. From Q. to Q. carries Marks and Q. to Q. carries Marks each..

More information

MOCK cet paper II 2012 (PHYSICS)

MOCK cet paper II 2012 (PHYSICS) MOCK cet paper II 2012 (PHYSICS) 1. The equations of two sound waves are given by Y 1 = 3 sin 100πt and Y 2 = 4 Sin 150 πt. The ratio of the intensities of sound produced in the medium is 1)1:2 2) 1:4

More information

NET (DECEMBER) PHYSICAL SCIENCES TEST BOOKLET A PART - A

NET (DECEMBER) PHYSICAL SCIENCES TEST BOOKLET A PART - A NET - 7 (DECEMBER) PHYSICAL SCIENCES TEST BOOKLET A PART - A. In a group of students, % play only cricket, % play only football and % play only basketball. % of the students play both football and cricket,

More information

A few principles of classical and quantum mechanics

A few principles of classical and quantum mechanics A few principles of classical and quantum mechanics The classical approach: In classical mechanics, we usually (but not exclusively) solve Newton s nd law of motion relating the acceleration a of the system

More information

PHYSICAL SCIENCES PART A

PHYSICAL SCIENCES PART A PHYSICAL SCIENCES PART A 1. The calculation of the probability of excitation of an atom originally in the ground state to an excited state, involves the contour integral iωt τ e dt ( t τ ) + Evaluate the

More information

Graduate Written Exam Part I (Fall 2011)

Graduate Written Exam Part I (Fall 2011) Graduate Written Exam Part I (Fall 2011) 1. An elevator operator in a skyscraper, being a very meticulous person, put a pendulum clock on the wall of the elevator to make sure that he spends exactly 8

More information

STD : 12 TH GSEB PART A. 1. An electric dipole is placed in a uniform field. The resultant force acting on it...

STD : 12 TH GSEB PART A. 1. An electric dipole is placed in a uniform field. The resultant force acting on it... STD : 1 TH PHYSICS RJ VISION PVT. LTD. (MOST STABLE & INNOVATIVE INSTITUTE) GSEB COURSE NAME: 1 TH Total Marks : 100 Time : 3 hrs PART A Multiple Choice uestions : 1. An electric dipole is placed in a

More information

Math Questions for the 2011 PhD Qualifier Exam 1. Evaluate the following definite integral 3" 4 where! ( x) is the Dirac! - function. # " 4 [ ( )] dx x 2! cos x 2. Consider the differential equation dx

More information

1. Electricity and Magnetism (Fall 1995, Part 1) A metal sphere has a radius R and a charge Q.

1. Electricity and Magnetism (Fall 1995, Part 1) A metal sphere has a radius R and a charge Q. 1. Electricity and Magnetism (Fall 1995, Part 1) A metal sphere has a radius R and a charge Q. (a) Compute the electric part of the Maxwell stress tensor T ij (r) = 1 {E i E j 12 } 4π E2 δ ij both inside

More information

FIITJEE Solutions to AIEEE PHYSICS

FIITJEE Solutions to AIEEE PHYSICS FTJEE Solutions to AEEE - 7 -PHYSCS Physics Code-O 4. The displacement of an object attached to a spring and executing simple harmonic motion is given by x = cos πt metres. The time at which the maximum

More information

MOCK CET PHYSICS PAPER 1

MOCK CET PHYSICS PAPER 1 MOCK CET PHYSICS PAPER 1 1. Rotational kinetic energy of a body is given by the equation 2 2 where I is moment of inertia and ω angular velocity of the body. The dimensional formula of I using the above

More information

PHYSICS 2005 (Delhi) Q3. The power factor of an A.C. circuit is 0.5. What will be the phase difference between voltage and current in this circuit?

PHYSICS 2005 (Delhi) Q3. The power factor of an A.C. circuit is 0.5. What will be the phase difference between voltage and current in this circuit? General Instructions: 1. All questions are compulsory. 2. There is no overall choice. However, an internal choke has been pro vided in one question of two marks, one question of three marks and all three

More information

KENDRIYA VIDYALAYA SANGATHAN, HYDERABAD REGION

KENDRIYA VIDYALAYA SANGATHAN, HYDERABAD REGION KENDRIYA VIDYALAYA SANGATHAN, HYDERABAD REGION SAMPLE PAPER 04 (2017-18) SUBJECT: PHYSICS (043) BLUE PRINT : CLASS XII UNIT VSA (1 mark) SA - I (2 marks) SA II (3 marks) VBQ (4 marks) LA (5 marks) Total

More information

Transweb Educational Services Pvt. Ltd Tel:

Transweb Educational Services Pvt. Ltd     Tel: . The equivalent capacitance between and in the circuit given below is : 6F F 5F 5F 4F ns. () () 3.6F ().4F (3) 4.9F (4) 5.4F 6F 5F Simplified circuit 6F F D D E E D E F 5F E F E E 4F F 4F 5F F eq 5F 5

More information

AIPMT 2015 (Code: E) DETAILED SOLUTION

AIPMT 2015 (Code: E) DETAILED SOLUTION AIPMT 2015 (Code: E) DETAILED SOLUTION Physics 1. If energy (E), velocity (V) and time (T) are chosen as the fundamental quantities, the dimensional formula of surface tension will be: (1) [EV 2 T 1 ]

More information

Physics 107 Final Exam May 6, Your Name: 1. Questions

Physics 107 Final Exam May 6, Your Name: 1. Questions Physics 107 Final Exam May 6, 1996 Your Name: 1. Questions 1. 9. 17. 5.. 10. 18. 6. 3. 11. 19. 7. 4. 1. 0. 8. 5. 13. 1. 9. 6. 14.. 30. 7. 15. 3. 8. 16. 4.. Problems 1. 4. 7. 10. 13.. 5. 8. 11. 14. 3. 6.

More information

M04M.1 Particles on a Line

M04M.1 Particles on a Line Part I Mechanics M04M.1 Particles on a Line M04M.1 Particles on a Line Two elastic spherical particles with masses m and M (m M) are constrained to move along a straight line with an elastically reflecting

More information

A) m B) m C) m D) m E) m. 5. Which one of the following circuits has the largest resistance?

A) m B) m C) m D) m E) m. 5. Which one of the following circuits has the largest resistance? Use the following to answer question 1. Two point charges, A and B, lie along a line separated by a distance L. The point x is the midpoint of their separation. 1. Which combination of charges would yield

More information

Downloaded from

Downloaded from Duration: Three Hours Please read the following instructions carefully: General Instructions: PH: PHYSICS 1. Total duration of examination is 180 minutes (3 hours). Maximum Marks:100 2. The clock will

More information

Spring 2012 Qualifying Exam. Part I

Spring 2012 Qualifying Exam. Part I Spring 2012 Qualifying Exam Part I Calculators are allowed. No reference material may be used. Please clearly mark the problems you have solved and want to be graded. Mark exactly eight problems in section

More information

KCET PHYSICS 2014 Version Code: C-2

KCET PHYSICS 2014 Version Code: C-2 KCET PHYSICS 04 Version Code: C-. A solenoid has length 0.4 cm, radius cm and 400 turns of wire. If a current of 5 A is passed through this solenoid, what is the magnetic field inside the solenoid? ().8

More information

PHYSICS. Course Syllabus. Section 1: Mathematical Physics. Subject Code: PH. Course Structure. Electromagnetic Theory

PHYSICS. Course Syllabus. Section 1: Mathematical Physics. Subject Code: PH. Course Structure. Electromagnetic Theory PHYSICS Subject Code: PH Course Structure Sections/Units Topics Section 1 Section 2 Section 3 Section 4 Section 5 Section 6 Section 7 Section 8 Mathematical Physics Classical Mechanics Electromagnetic

More information

October Entrance Examination: Condensed Matter Multiple choice quizzes

October Entrance Examination: Condensed Matter Multiple choice quizzes October 2013 - Entrance Examination: Condensed Matter Multiple choice quizzes 1 A cubic meter of H 2 and a cubic meter of O 2 are at the same pressure (p) and at the same temperature (T 1 ) in their gas

More information

UGC ACADEMY LEADING INSTITUE FOR CSIR-JRF/NET, GATE & JAM PH 05 PHYSICAL SCIENCE TEST SERIES # 1. Quantum, Statistical & Thermal Physics

UGC ACADEMY LEADING INSTITUE FOR CSIR-JRF/NET, GATE & JAM PH 05 PHYSICAL SCIENCE TEST SERIES # 1. Quantum, Statistical & Thermal Physics UGC ACADEMY LEADING INSTITUE FOR CSIR-JRF/NET, GATE & JAM BOOKLET CODE SUBJECT CODE PH 05 PHYSICAL SCIENCE TEST SERIES # Quantum, Statistical & Thermal Physics Timing: 3: H M.M: 00 Instructions. This test

More information

BLUE-PRINT II XII Physics

BLUE-PRINT II XII Physics BLUE-PRINT II XII Physics S.No. UNIT VSA SA I SA II LA Total (1 Mark) (2 Marks) (3Marks) (5 Marks) 1. Electrostatics 1(1) 4(2) 3(1) - 8(4) 2. Current Electricity - 2(1) - 5(1) 7(2) 3. Magnetic Effect of

More information

Graduate Written Examination Spring 2014 Part I Thursday, January 16th, :00am to 1:00pm

Graduate Written Examination Spring 2014 Part I Thursday, January 16th, :00am to 1:00pm Graduate Written Examination Spring 2014 Part I Thursday, January 16th, 2014 9:00am to 1:00pm University of Minnesota School of Physics and Astronomy Examination Instructions Part 1 of this exam consists

More information

MODEL TEST - 1 PHYSICS

MODEL TEST - 1 PHYSICS MODEL TEST - 1 PHYSICS [Time: 3 Hrs] [Max. Marks: 70] Note: 1. All questions are compulsory. 2. Neat diagrams must be drawn wherever necessary. 3. Figures to the right indicate full marks. 4. Use of only

More information

1. If the mass of a simple pendulum is doubled but its length remains constant, its period is multiplied by a factor of

1. If the mass of a simple pendulum is doubled but its length remains constant, its period is multiplied by a factor of 1. If the mass of a simple pendulum is doubled but its length remains constant, its period is multiplied by a factor of 1 1 (A) 2 (B) 2 (C) 1 (D) 2 (E) 2 2. A railroad flatcar of mass 2,000 kilograms rolls

More information

CBSE PHYSICS QUESTION PAPER (2005)

CBSE PHYSICS QUESTION PAPER (2005) CBSE PHYSICS QUESTION PAPER (2005) (i) (ii) All questions are compulsory. There are 30 questions in total. Questions 1 to 8 carry one mark each, Questions 9 to 18 carry two marks each, Question 19 to 27

More information

Physics PhD Qualifying Examination Part I Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Physics PhD Qualifying Examination Part I Wednesday, August 26, 2015 Physics PhD Qualifying Examination Part I Wednesday, August 26, 2015 Name: (please print) Identification Number: STUDENT: Designate the problem numbers that you are handing in for grading in the appropriate

More information

Physics 213. Practice Final Exam Spring The next two questions pertain to the following situation:

Physics 213. Practice Final Exam Spring The next two questions pertain to the following situation: The next two questions pertain to the following situation: Consider the following two systems: A: three interacting harmonic oscillators with total energy 6ε. B: two interacting harmonic oscillators, with

More information

BLUE PRINT FOR MODEL QUESTION PAPER 4

BLUE PRINT FOR MODEL QUESTION PAPER 4 Unit Chapter Teaching Hours Marks allotted (VSA) mark (SA) 3 mark (SA) 5 mark (LA) 5 mark (NP) BLUE PRINT FOR MODEL QUESTION PAPER 4 SUBJECT : PHYSICS (33) CLASS : II PUC Topic Electric Charges and Fields

More information

Preliminary Examination - Day 2 August 16, 2013

Preliminary Examination - Day 2 August 16, 2013 UNL - Department of Physics and Astronomy Preliminary Examination - Day August 16, 13 This test covers the topics of Quantum Mechanics (Topic 1) and Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics (Topic ). Each

More information

PART A. 4cm 1 =1.4 1 =1.5. 5cm

PART A. 4cm 1 =1.4 1 =1.5. 5cm PART A Straight Objective Type This section contains 30 multiple choice questions. Each question has 4 choices (1), (), (3) and (4) for its answer, out of which ONLY ONE is correct. 1. The apparent depth

More information

IIT JEE PAPER The question paper consists of 3 parts (Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics). Each part has 4 sections.

IIT JEE PAPER The question paper consists of 3 parts (Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics). Each part has 4 sections. IIT JEE - 2009 PAPER 2 A. Question paper format: 1. The question paper consists of 3 parts (Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics). Each part has 4 sections. 2. Section I contains 4 multiple choice questions.

More information

Class XII Physics (Theory)

Class XII Physics (Theory) DATE : 0/03/209 SET-3 Code No. //3 Regd. Office : Aakash Tower, 8, Pusa Road, New Delhi-000. Ph.: 0-4762346 Class XII Physics (Theory) Time : 3 Hrs. Max. Marks : 70 (CBSE 209) GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS :. All

More information

13. Basic Nuclear Properties

13. Basic Nuclear Properties 13. Basic Nuclear Properties Particle and Nuclear Physics Dr. Tina Potter Dr. Tina Potter 13. Basic Nuclear Properties 1 In this section... Motivation for study The strong nuclear force Stable nuclei Binding

More information

GOVIND VIDYALAYA TAMULIA XII PHYSICS

GOVIND VIDYALAYA TAMULIA XII PHYSICS GOVIND VIDYALAYA TAMULIA XII PHYSICS Time : 3 Hours Max. Marks : 70 General Instructions (a) All questions are compulsory. (b) There are 30 questions in total. Questions 1 to 8 carry one mark each, questions

More information

Common Exam Department of Physics University of Utah August 24, 2002

Common Exam Department of Physics University of Utah August 24, 2002 Common Exam - 2002 Department of Physics University of Utah August 24, 2002 Examination booklets have been provided for recording your work and your solutions. Please note that there is a separate booklet

More information

3. Anaemia can be diagnosed by (a) 15 P 31 (b) 15 P 32 (c) 26 Fe 59 (d) 11 Na 24. (b) α particle (Alpha particle)

3. Anaemia can be diagnosed by (a) 15 P 31 (b) 15 P 32 (c) 26 Fe 59 (d) 11 Na 24. (b) α particle (Alpha particle) MARCH 2010 PHYSICS Time Allowed: 3 Hours Maximum Marks: 150 PART - I 30 x 1 = 30 Note: i) Answer all the questions. ii) Choose and write the correct answer. 1. Electron microscope works on the principle

More information

Appendix 1: List of symbols

Appendix 1: List of symbols Appendix 1: List of symbols Symbol Description MKS Units a Acceleration m/s 2 a 0 Bohr radius m A Area m 2 A* Richardson constant m/s A C Collector area m 2 A E Emitter area m 2 b Bimolecular recombination

More information

IIT-JEE 2012 PAPER - 1 PART - I : PHYSICS. Section I : Single Correct Answer Type

IIT-JEE 2012 PAPER - 1 PART - I : PHYSICS. Section I : Single Correct Answer Type IIT-JEE PAPER - PART - I : PHYSICS Section I : Single Correct Answer Type This section contains multiple choice questions. Each question has four choices (A), (B), (C) and (D) out of which ONLY ONE is

More information

SAMPLE PAPER-05 (solved) PHYSICS (Theory) Class XII. Time allowed: 3 hours Marks: 70

SAMPLE PAPER-05 (solved) PHYSICS (Theory) Class XII. Time allowed: 3 hours Marks: 70 SAMPLE PAPER-05 (solved) PHYSICS (Theory) Class XII Time allowed: 3 hours Marks: 70 Maximum General Instructions: a) All the questions are compulsory. b) There are 26 questions in total. c) Questions 1

More information

C. Show your answer in part B agrees with your answer in part A in the limit that the constant c 0.

C. Show your answer in part B agrees with your answer in part A in the limit that the constant c 0. Problem #1 A. A projectile of mass m is shot vertically in the gravitational field. Its initial velocity is v o. Assuming there is no air resistance, how high does m go? B. Now assume the projectile is

More information

UNIVERSITY OF SASKATCHEWAN Department of Physics and Engineering Physics

UNIVERSITY OF SASKATCHEWAN Department of Physics and Engineering Physics UNIVERSITY OF SASKATCHEWAN Department of Physics and Engineering Physics Physics 115.3 Physics and the Universe FINAL EXAMINATION December 9, 011 NAME: (Last) Please Print (Given) Time: 3 hours STUDENT

More information

Fundamental Constants

Fundamental Constants Fundamental Constants Atomic Mass Unit u 1.660 540 2 10 10 27 kg 931.434 32 28 MeV c 2 Avogadro s number N A 6.022 136 7 36 10 23 (g mol) 1 Bohr magneton μ B 9.274 015 4(31) 10-24 J/T Bohr radius a 0 0.529

More information

Physics PhD Qualifying Examination Part I Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Physics PhD Qualifying Examination Part I Wednesday, January 21, 2015 Physics PhD Qualifying Examination Part I Wednesday, January 21, 2015 Name: (please print) Identification Number: STUDENT: Designate the problem numbers that you are handing in for grading in the appropriate

More information

PHYSICS. 2. A force of 6 kgf and another force of 8 kg f can be applied to produce the effect of a single force equal to

PHYSICS. 2. A force of 6 kgf and another force of 8 kg f can be applied to produce the effect of a single force equal to PHYSICS 1. A body falls from rest, in the last second of its fall, it covers half of the total distance. Then the total time of its fall is (A) 2 + 2 sec (B) 2-2 sec (C) 2 2 (D) 4 sec 2. A force of 6 kgf

More information

TEACHER CERTIFICATION STUDY GUIDE

TEACHER CERTIFICATION STUDY GUIDE Table of Contents Pg. Domain I. Mechanics Vectors (properties; addition and subtraction)... 129H1 Vector multiplication (dot and cross product)... 130H3 Motion along a straight line (displacement, velocity,

More information

Physics 227 Final Exam December 18, 2007 Prof. Coleman and Prof. Rabe. Useful Information. Your name sticker. with exam code

Physics 227 Final Exam December 18, 2007 Prof. Coleman and Prof. Rabe. Useful Information. Your name sticker. with exam code Your name sticker with exam code Physics 227 Final Exam December 18, 2007 Prof. Coleman and Prof. Rabe SIGNATURE: 1. The exam will last from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Use a #2 pencil to make entries on the

More information

12) An infinite line charge produces a field of N C 1 at a distance of 2 cm. Calculate the linear charge density.

12) An infinite line charge produces a field of N C 1 at a distance of 2 cm. Calculate the linear charge density. PHYSICS UNIT 1 (ELECTOSTATICS) 1) State Coulomb s law in electrostatics and represent it in vector form. 2) What is an electric dipole? Define electric dipole moment? 3) Distinguish between electric potential

More information

ET-105(A) : PHYSICS. Show that only an infinitesimal rotation can be regarded as a vector.

ET-105(A) : PHYSICS. Show that only an infinitesimal rotation can be regarded as a vector. No. of Printed Pages : 7 ET-105(A) B.Tech. Civil (Construction Management) / B.Tech. Civil (Water Resources Engineering) / BTCLEVI / BTMEVI / BTELVI / BTECVI / BTCSVI Term-End Examination June, 2017 ET-105(A)

More information

UGC ACADEMY LEADING INSTITUE FOR CSIR-JRF/NET, GATE & JAM PHYSICAL SCIENCE TEST SERIES # 4. Atomic, Solid State & Nuclear + Particle

UGC ACADEMY LEADING INSTITUE FOR CSIR-JRF/NET, GATE & JAM PHYSICAL SCIENCE TEST SERIES # 4. Atomic, Solid State & Nuclear + Particle UGC ACADEMY LEADING INSTITUE FOR CSIR-JRF/NET, GATE & JAM BOOKLET CODE PH PHYSICAL SCIENCE TEST SERIES # 4 Atomic, Solid State & Nuclear + Particle SUBJECT CODE 05 Timing: 3: H M.M: 200 Instructions 1.

More information

FIITJEE Solutions to AIEEE PHYSICS

FIITJEE Solutions to AIEEE PHYSICS 41. A particle located at x = 0 at time t = 0, starts moving along the positive x-direction with a velocity v that varies as v= α x. The displacement of the particle varies with time as (1) t () t () t

More information

INSTRUCTIONS PART I : SPRING 2006 PHYSICS DEPARTMENT EXAM

INSTRUCTIONS PART I : SPRING 2006 PHYSICS DEPARTMENT EXAM INSTRUCTIONS PART I : SPRING 2006 PHYSICS DEPARTMENT EXAM Please take a few minutes to read through all problems before starting the exam. Ask the proctor if you are uncertain about the meaning of any

More information

5-A / 9, WEA, Sat Nagar, Karol Bagh New Delhi Web:

5-A / 9, WEA, Sat Nagar, Karol Bagh New Delhi Web: Keshaw Classes IIT/JEE Medical Classes 5-A 11028 / 9, WEA, Sat Nagar, Karol Bagh New Delhi-110005 Mob:9910915514,9953150192 Ph:011-45660510 E-mail : keshawclasses@gmail.com Web:www.keshawclasses.com MODERN

More information

is the minimum stopping potential for which the current between the plates reduces to zero.

is the minimum stopping potential for which the current between the plates reduces to zero. Module 1 :Quantum Mechanics Chapter 2 : Introduction to Quantum ideas Introduction to Quantum ideas We will now consider some experiments and their implications, which introduce us to quantum ideas. The

More information

Atomic Structure. Chapter 8

Atomic Structure. Chapter 8 Atomic Structure Chapter 8 Overview To understand atomic structure requires understanding a special aspect of the electron - spin and its related magnetism - and properties of a collection of identical

More information

Thermal and Statistical Physics Department Exam Last updated November 4, L π

Thermal and Statistical Physics Department Exam Last updated November 4, L π Thermal and Statistical Physics Department Exam Last updated November 4, 013 1. a. Define the chemical potential µ. Show that two systems are in diffusive equilibrium if µ 1 =µ. You may start with F =

More information

Ph.D. QUALIFYING EXAMINATION PART A. Tuesday, January 3, 2012, 1:00 5:00 P.M.

Ph.D. QUALIFYING EXAMINATION PART A. Tuesday, January 3, 2012, 1:00 5:00 P.M. PhD QUALIFYING EXAMINATION PART A Tuesday, January 3, 212, 1: 5: PM Work each problem on a separate sheet(s) of paper and put your identifying number on each page Do not use your name Each problem has

More information

5. You may use the following values of physical constants wherever necessary. Class XII Physics (042) Sample Question Paper

5. You may use the following values of physical constants wherever necessary. Class XII Physics (042) Sample Question Paper Class XII Physics (04) Sample Question Paper 018-19 Time allowed: hours. Max. Marks: 70 General Instructions: 1. All questions are compulsory. There are 7 questions in all.. This question paper has four

More information

APEX CARE INSTITUTE FOR PG - TRB, SLET AND NET IN PHYSICS

APEX CARE INSTITUTE FOR PG - TRB, SLET AND NET IN PHYSICS Page 1 1. Within the nucleus, the charge distribution A) Is constant, but falls to zero sharply at the nuclear radius B) Increases linearly from the centre, but falls off exponentially at the surface C)

More information

2016 Lloyd G. Elliott University Prize Exam Compiled by the Department of Physics & Astronomy, University of Waterloo

2016 Lloyd G. Elliott University Prize Exam Compiled by the Department of Physics & Astronomy, University of Waterloo Canadian Association of Physicists SUPPORTING PHYSICS RESEARCH AND EDUCATION IN CANADA 2016 Lloyd G. Elliott University Prize Exam Compiled by the Department of Physics & Astronomy, University of Waterloo

More information

Sample Question Paper. Class XII -Physics. (Applicable for March 2016 Examination) Time Allowed: 3 Hours Maximum Marks: 70

Sample Question Paper. Class XII -Physics. (Applicable for March 2016 Examination) Time Allowed: 3 Hours Maximum Marks: 70 Sample Question Paper Class XII -Physics (Applicable for March 2016 Examination) Time Allowed: 3 Hours Maximum Marks: 70 General Instructions 1. All questions are compulsory. There are 26 questions in

More information

Department of Physics PRELIMINARY EXAMINATION 2014 Part II. Long Questions

Department of Physics PRELIMINARY EXAMINATION 2014 Part II. Long Questions Department of Physics PRELIMINARY EXAMINATION 2014 Part II. Long Questions Friday May 16th, 2014, 14-17h Examiners: Prof. A. Clerk, Prof. M. Dobbs, Prof. G. Gervais (Chair), Prof. T. Webb, Prof. P. Wiseman

More information

(a) What are the probabilities associated with finding the different allowed values of the z-component of the spin after time T?

(a) What are the probabilities associated with finding the different allowed values of the z-component of the spin after time T? 1. Quantum Mechanics (Fall 2002) A Stern-Gerlach apparatus is adjusted so that the z-component of the spin of an electron (spin-1/2) transmitted through it is /2. A uniform magnetic field in the x-direction

More information

Chapter 4: Summary. Solve lattice vibration equation of one atom/unitcellcase Consider a set of ions M separated by a distance a,

Chapter 4: Summary. Solve lattice vibration equation of one atom/unitcellcase Consider a set of ions M separated by a distance a, Chapter 4: Summary Solve lattice vibration equation of one atom/unitcellcase case. Consider a set of ions M separated by a distance a, R na for integral n. Let u( na) be the displacement. Assuming only

More information

Qualifying Exam. Aug Part II. Please use blank paper for your work do not write on problems sheets!

Qualifying Exam. Aug Part II. Please use blank paper for your work do not write on problems sheets! Qualifying Exam Aug. 2015 Part II Please use blank paper for your work do not write on problems sheets! Solve only one problem from each of the four sections Mechanics, Quantum Mechanics, Statistical Physics

More information

PHYSICS. [Time 3 hours] [Maximum Marks: 720]

PHYSICS. [Time 3 hours] [Maximum Marks: 720] CBSE MAINS-07 PHYSICS [Time 3 hours] [Maximum Marks: 70] General Instructions:. The Answer Sheet is inside this Test Booklet. When you are directed to open the Test Booklet, take out the Answer Sheet and

More information

Dept. of Physics, MIT Manipal 1

Dept. of Physics, MIT Manipal 1 Chapter 1: Optics 1. In the phenomenon of interference, there is A Annihilation of light energy B Addition of energy C Redistribution energy D Creation of energy 2. Interference fringes are obtained using

More information

PHYSICS (Theory) Time Allowed: 3 hours Maximum Marks: 70

PHYSICS (Theory) Time Allowed: 3 hours Maximum Marks: 70 Sample Paper (CBSE) Series PHY/SP/1D Code No. SP/1-D PHYSICS (Theory) Time Allowed: hours Maximum Marks: 70 General Instructions: (i) (ii) (iii) (iv) (v) All questions are compulsory. This question paper

More information

Department of Physics PRELIMINARY EXAMINATION 2015 Part II. Long Questions

Department of Physics PRELIMINARY EXAMINATION 2015 Part II. Long Questions Department of Physics PRELIMINARY EXAMINATION 2015 Part II. Long Questions Friday May 15th, 2014, 14-17h Examiners: Prof. J. Cline, Prof. H. Guo, Prof. G. Gervais (Chair), and Prof. D. Hanna INSTRUCTIONS

More information

Physics 208 Final Exam December 15, 2008

Physics 208 Final Exam December 15, 2008 Page 1 Name: Student ID: Section #: Physics 208 Final Exam December 15, 2008 Print your name and section clearly above. If you do not know your section number, write your TA s name. Your final answer must

More information

f n+2 f n = 2 = = 40 H z

f n+2 f n = 2 = = 40 H z Coordinator: Dr.I.M.Nasser Monday, May 18, 2015 Page: 1 Q1. Q2. One end of a stretched string vibrates with a period of 1.5 s. This results in a wave propagating at a speed of 8.0 m/s along the string.

More information

Ph.D. Comprehensive Exam Department of Physics Georgetown University

Ph.D. Comprehensive Exam Department of Physics Georgetown University Ph.D. Comprehensive Exam Department of Physics Georgetown University Part I: Tuesday, July 10, 2018, 12:00pm - 4:00pm Proctors: Mak Paranjape and Ed Van Keuren Instructions: Please put your assigned number

More information

Cambridge International Examinations Cambridge International Advanced Level *6106210292* PHYSICS 9702/42 Paper 4 A2 Structured Questions May/June 2014 2 hours Candidates answer on the Question Paper. No

More information

k m Figure 1: Long problem L2 2 + L2 3 I 1

k m Figure 1: Long problem L2 2 + L2 3 I 1 LONG PROBLEMS 1: Consider the system shown in Figure 1: Two objects, of mass m 1 and m, can be treated as point-like. Each of them is suspended from the ceiling by a wire of negligible mass, and of length

More information

(a) Write down the total Hamiltonian of this system, including the spin degree of freedom of the electron, but neglecting spin-orbit interactions.

(a) Write down the total Hamiltonian of this system, including the spin degree of freedom of the electron, but neglecting spin-orbit interactions. 1. Quantum Mechanics (Spring 2007) Consider a hydrogen atom in a weak uniform magnetic field B = Bê z. (a) Write down the total Hamiltonian of this system, including the spin degree of freedom of the electron,

More information

Written Test A. [Solve three out of the following five problems.] ψ = B(x + y + 2z)e x 2 +y 2 +z 2

Written Test A. [Solve three out of the following five problems.] ψ = B(x + y + 2z)e x 2 +y 2 +z 2 Written Test A Solve three out of the following five problems.] Problem 1. A spinless particle is described by the wave function where B is a constant. ψ = B(x + y + z)e x +y +z 1. Determine the total

More information

February 18, In the parallel RLC circuit shown, R = Ω, L = mh and C = µf. The source has V 0. = 20.0 V and f = Hz.

February 18, In the parallel RLC circuit shown, R = Ω, L = mh and C = µf. The source has V 0. = 20.0 V and f = Hz. Physics Qualifying Examination Part I 7- Minute Questions February 18, 2012 1. In the parallel RLC circuit shown, R = 800.0 Ω, L = 160.0 mh and C = 0.0600 µf. The source has V 0 = 20.0 V and f = 2400.0

More information

PHYSICS Course Structure Units Topics Marks Electrostatics Current Electricity III Magnetic Effect of Current & Magnetism

PHYSICS Course Structure Units Topics Marks Electrostatics Current Electricity III Magnetic Effect of Current & Magnetism PHYSICS Course Structure Units Topics Marks I Chapter 1 Chapter 2 II Chapter 3 III Chapter 4 Chapter 5 IV Chapter 6 Chapter 7 V Chapter 8 VI Chapter 9 Electrostatics Electric Charges and Fields Electrostatic

More information

Model Paper QUESTION PAPER FOR EXTERNAL EXAMINATIONS. B Sc (Composite) Annual -2012: Subject: Physics

Model Paper QUESTION PAPER FOR EXTERNAL EXAMINATIONS. B Sc (Composite) Annual -2012: Subject: Physics Model Paper Roll No.. GOVERNMENT COLLEGE UNIVERSITY, FAISALABAD QUESTION PAPER FOR EXTERNAL EXAMINATIONS B Sc (Composite) Annual -2012: Subject: Physics Course Title: Mechanics, Waves, Oscilliation & optics

More information

In-class exercises. Day 1

In-class exercises. Day 1 Physics 4488/6562: Statistical Mechanics http://www.physics.cornell.edu/sethna/teaching/562/ Material for Week 8 Exercises due Mon March 19 Last correction at March 5, 2018, 8:48 am c 2017, James Sethna,

More information

AP Physics C Mechanics Objectives

AP Physics C Mechanics Objectives AP Physics C Mechanics Objectives I. KINEMATICS A. Motion in One Dimension 1. The relationships among position, velocity and acceleration a. Given a graph of position vs. time, identify or sketch a graph

More information

CBSE Sample Paper 7. Question 1 What is the ratio of radii of the orbits corresponding to first excited state and ground state in a hydrogen atom?

CBSE Sample Paper 7. Question 1 What is the ratio of radii of the orbits corresponding to first excited state and ground state in a hydrogen atom? 1 CBSE Sample Paper 7 General Instruction: 1. Answer all questions 2. Internal choices are provided for some questions 3. Question numbers 1 to 8 are very short answer questions and carry 1 mark each.

More information

Units (Different systems of units, SI units, fundamental and derived units)

Units (Different systems of units, SI units, fundamental and derived units) Physics: Units & Measurement: Units (Different systems of units, SI units, fundamental and derived units) Dimensional Analysis Precision and significant figures Fundamental measurements in Physics (Vernier

More information

Students are required to pass a minimum of 15 AU of PAP courses including the following courses:

Students are required to pass a minimum of 15 AU of PAP courses including the following courses: School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences Division of Physics and Applied Physics Minor in Physics Curriculum - Minor in Physics Requirements for the Minor: Students are required to pass a minimum of

More information

UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI-COLUMBIA PHYSICS DEPARTMENT. PART I Qualifying Examination. August 20, 2005, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI-COLUMBIA PHYSICS DEPARTMENT. PART I Qualifying Examination. August 20, 2005, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI-COLUMBIA PHYSICS DEPARTMENT PART I Qualifying Examination August, 5, 9: a.m. to : p.m. Instructions: The only material you are allowed in the examination room is a writing instrument

More information

ψ s a ˆn a s b ˆn b ψ Hint: Because the state is spherically symmetric the answer can depend only on the angle between the two directions.

ψ s a ˆn a s b ˆn b ψ Hint: Because the state is spherically symmetric the answer can depend only on the angle between the two directions. 1. Quantum Mechanics (Fall 2004) Two spin-half particles are in a state with total spin zero. Let ˆn a and ˆn b be unit vectors in two arbitrary directions. Calculate the expectation value of the product

More information

and another with a peak frequency ω 2

and another with a peak frequency ω 2 Physics Qualifying Examination Part I 7-Minute Questions September 13, 2014 1. A sealed container is divided into two volumes by a moveable piston. There are N A molecules on one side and N B molecules

More information

Preview from Notesale.co.uk Page 4 of 35

Preview from Notesale.co.uk Page 4 of 35 field 64 If a dielectric is inserted b/w the plates of a charged capacitor, its Remains Becomes infinite capacitance constant decreases increases 65 Selenium is an insulator in the dark but when exposed

More information

Optics Definitions. The apparent movement of one object relative to another due to the motion of the observer is called parallax.

Optics Definitions. The apparent movement of one object relative to another due to the motion of the observer is called parallax. Optics Definitions Reflection is the bouncing of light off an object Laws of Reflection of Light: 1. The incident ray, the normal at the point of incidence and the reflected ray all lie in the same plane.

More information

3. On cold, dark fall nights, why does frost preferentially form on the horizontal surfaces of cars and not on their vertical surfaces?

3. On cold, dark fall nights, why does frost preferentially form on the horizontal surfaces of cars and not on their vertical surfaces? Part I 7-Minute Questions 1. A tennis ball of mass m is held just above a basketball of mass M! m and radius R. The bottom of the basketball is held a height h above the ground. With their centers vertically

More information

Spring 2007 Qualifier- Part I 7-minute Questions

Spring 2007 Qualifier- Part I 7-minute Questions Spring 007 Qualifier- Part I 7-minute Questions 1. Calculate the magnetic induction B in the gap of a C-shaped iron core electromagnet wound with n turns of a wire carrying current I as shown in the figure.

More information