Übungen zur Elektrodynamik (T3)

Similar documents

Week 1, solution to exercise 2

Overthrows a basic assumption of classical physics - that lengths and time intervals are absolute quantities, i.e., the same for all observes.

Lagrangian. µ = 0 0 E x E y E z 1 E x 0 B z B y 2 E y B z 0 B x 3 E z B y B x 0. field tensor. ν =

Physics 4183 Electricity and Magnetism II. Covariant Formulation of Electrodynamics-1

GRAVITATION F10. Lecture Maxwell s Equations in Curved Space-Time 1.1. Recall that Maxwell equations in Lorentz covariant form are.

General Relativity (j µ and T µν for point particles) van Nieuwenhuizen, Spring 2018

Dynamics of Relativistic Particles and EM Fields

We would like to give a Lagrangian formulation of electrodynamics.

matter The second term vanishes upon using the equations of motion of the matter field, then the remaining term can be rewritten

Continuity Equations and the Energy-Momentum Tensor

Quantum Field Theory I Examination questions will be composed from those below and from questions in the textbook and previous exams

Physics 411 Lecture 22. E&M and Sources. Lecture 22. Physics 411 Classical Mechanics II

FYS 3120: Classical Mechanics and Electrodynamics

PROBLEM SET 1 SOLUTIONS

GENERAL RELATIVITY: THE FIELD THEORY APPROACH

Lecturer: Bengt E W Nilsson

Chapter 1 LORENTZ/POINCARE INVARIANCE. 1.1 The Lorentz Algebra

Variational Principle and Einstein s equations

Quantum Field Theory Notes. Ryan D. Reece

Übungen zu RT2 SS (4) Show that (any) contraction of a (p, q) - tensor results in a (p 1, q 1) - tensor.

General Relativity (225A) Fall 2013 Assignment 2 Solutions

General Relativity and Cosmology Mock exam

Lecture 13 Notes, Electromagnetic Theory II Dr. Christopher S. Baird, faculty.uml.edu/cbaird University of Massachusetts Lowell

Outline. Basic Principles. Extended Lagrange and Hamilton Formalism for Point Mechanics and Covariant Hamilton Field Theory

Gravitation: Gravitation

221A Miscellaneous Notes Continuity Equation

Introduction to relativistic quantum mechanics

Lecturer: Bengt E W Nilsson

Special Theory of Relativity

Classical Mechanics in Hamiltonian Form

Lecture Notes on Electromagnetism

t, H = 0, E = H E = 4πρ, H df = 0, δf = 4πJ.

d 2 Area i K i0 ν 0 (S.2) when the integral is taken over the whole space, hence the second eq. (1.12).

=0 x i p j t + (pj v i )

MATH 423 January 2011

Massachusetts Institute of Technology Department of Physics. Final Examination December 17, 2004

SPECIAL RELATIVITY AND ELECTROMAGNETISM

Lecture: Lorentz Invariant Dynamics

The Dirac Field. Physics , Quantum Field Theory. October Michael Dine Department of Physics University of California, Santa Cruz

Lattice Gauge Theory and the Maxwell-Klein-Gordon equations

2.3 Calculus of variations

2.1 The metric and and coordinate transformations

arxiv:physics/ v1 [physics.class-ph] 3 Apr 2000

Instructor: Sudipta Mukherji, Institute of Physics, Bhubaneswar

Exercises Symmetries in Particle Physics

A Brief Introduction to Relativistic Quantum Mechanics

PAPER 309 GENERAL RELATIVITY

Linearized Gravity Return to Linearized Field Equations

Covariant Formulation of Electrodynamics

2 Classical Field Theory

Relativistic Mechanics

etc., etc. Consequently, the Euler Lagrange equations for the Φ and Φ fields may be written in a manifestly covariant form as L Φ = m 2 Φ, (S.

Rank Three Tensors in Unified Gravitation and Electrodynamics

Contravariant and covariant vectors

Solutions to problem set 6

221A Lecture Notes Electromagnetic Couplings

Lecture: General Theory of Relativity

Lecture 16 March 29, 2010

Week 9: Einstein s field equations

Covariant Formulation of Electrodynamics

Physics 506 Winter 2008 Homework Assignment #8 Solutions. Textbook problems: Ch. 11: 11.5, 11.13, 11.14, 11.18

Electrodynamics Exam Solutions

Math. 460, Sec. 500 Fall, Special Relativity and Electromagnetism

Electric and Magnetic Forces in Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Formalism

Special Relativity - QMII - Mechina

General Relativity (225A) Fall 2013 Assignment 8 Solutions

Physics 506 Winter 2006 Homework Assignment #8 Solutions

Parity P : x x, t t, (1.116a) Time reversal T : x x, t t. (1.116b)

MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY Physics Department 8.323: Relativistic Quantum Field Theory I PROBLEM SET 2

(a p (t)e i p x +a (t)e ip x p

Microscopic electrodynamics. Trond Saue (LCPQ, Toulouse) Microscopic electrodynamics Virginia Tech / 46

Tensors - Lecture 4. cos(β) sin(β) sin(β) cos(β) 0

Vector Field Theory (E&M)

Cartesian Tensors. e 2. e 1. General vector (formal definition to follow) denoted by components

Lorentz-covariant spectrum of single-particle states and their field theory Physics 230A, Spring 2007, Hitoshi Murayama

Solution to Problem Set 4

E & M Qualifier. January 11, To insure that the your work is graded correctly you MUST:

Exercise 1 Classical Bosonic String

An introduction to Birkhoff normal form

Problem 1, Lorentz transformations of electric and magnetic

Special Relativity. Chapter The geometry of space-time

611: Electromagnetic Theory II

Magnetostatics and the vector potential

Covarient Formulation Lecture 8

Week 1. 1 The relativistic point particle. 1.1 Classical dynamics. Reading material from the books. Zwiebach, Chapter 5 and chapter 11

Gravitation: Special Relativity

Spinor Formulation of Relativistic Quantum Mechanics

Question 1: Axiomatic Newtonian mechanics

Physics on Curved Spaces 2

Chapter 7 Curved Spacetime and General Covariance

STA G. Conformal Field Theory in Momentum space. Kostas Skenderis Southampton Theory Astrophysics and Gravity research centre.

Electrodynamics. 1 st Edition. University of Cincinnati. Cenalo Vaz

Attempts at relativistic QM

Physics on Curved Spaces 2

Relativistic Dynamics

A sky without qualities

Physics 582, Problem Set 1 Solutions

Metric-affine theories of gravity

Transcription:

Arnold Sommerfeld Center Ludwig Maximilians Universität München Prof. Dr. Ivo Sachs SoSe 08 Übungen zur Elektrodynamik (T3) Lösungen zum Übungsblatt 7 Lorentz Force Calculate dx µ and ds explicitly in terms of v and dt. In an inertial system (x µ ) = (ct, x) and hence if the worldline is parametrized w.r.t. the coordinate time: dx µ = (cdt, dx, dx, dx 3 ) = (cdt, cβdt). We may assume this since the Lagrangian is parametrisation invariant. = ds = dx µ dx µ = c dt c β dt = cdt β = c dt () γ = dx µ = ( cdt, cβdt ) () (ii) Calculate the Euler-Lagrange equation x i (t) for the action S to find the Lorentz force. Since from which we can read off the Lagrangian S = mc dt β e dt ( φ cβ A ) = dt (mc β + e ( φ cβ A )) (3) L = mc β + e ( φ cβ A ) (4) Now we need to compute the Euler-Lagrange equations x i d ( ) dt ẋ i = 0 (5) We find and x i = e ( i φ cβ i A ) = e i φ + eẋ j i A j (6) ẋ i = c β i = mc β i c + eca β i = γmẋ i + ea i (7) Taking the time derivative of (7) we get ( ) d dt ẋ i = d dt (γmẋi ) + e A i t + eẋj j A i (8)

where the last term appears due to the dependence A i (t, x i (t)). Inserting (6) and (8) in the Euler-Lagrange equations this yields e i φ + eẋ j i A j d dt (γmẋ i) e A i t eẋj j A i = 0 d ) dt (γmẋi ) = e ( i φ Ai + e ( ẋ j i A j ẋ j j A i) (9) t The left hand side is our momentum and the right hand side contains all terms of our field strength tensor F µν. (iii) Finally, express the covariant Lorentz force in terms of E and B. Since (ẋ ( A)) i = ɛ ijk ɛ klm ẋ j l A m = (δ il δ jm δ im δ jl )ẋ j l A m = j,k,l,m j,k,l,m = (0) ẋ j i A j ẋ j j A i = ẋ j i A j ẋ j j A i j where two indices where switched in ẋ j i A j and thus no sign was gained. By definition B = A and E i = i φ t A i, thus we arrive at the equation of motion with the r.h.s describing the Lorentz-force. d (γmẋ) = e (E + ẋ B) () dt Principle of Least Action Introduce the variation δϕ(x µ ) and show that the action can be rewritten as S = S + δs. In addition, show explicitly that δ µ ϕ can be rewritten as µ δϕ. For the variation of ϕ, we can write: ϕ = ϕ + δϕ () Regarding δϕ, we can think of it as a difference: δ µ ϕ = µ ϕ µ ϕ = µ (ϕ ϕ ) = µ δϕ (3) So the action integral takes the form S[ϕ + δϕ] = d 4 xl = d 4 x( µ ϕ + µ δϕ)( µ ϕ + µ δϕ) = d 4 x( µ ϕ µ ϕ + µ δϕ µ ϕ + µ ϕ µ δϕ + µ δϕ µ δϕ) = S[ϕ] d 4 x( µ δϕ µ ϕ + µ ϕ µ δϕ) = S[ϕ] d 4 xδ( µ ϕ µ ϕ) (4) δϕ is small, so we can safely assume that the square (δϕ) will not contribute.

(ii) Discuss under which assumption the boundary terms add no contribution and can be neglected. Using Gauß s theorem in four dimensions we find that for a ball of radius R centred at zero, denoted B R and corresponding sphere S R µ φ µ φd 4 x = ( µ (φ µ φ) (φ µ µ φ))d 4 x = φ µ φ d 3 x µ B R B R S R B R (φ µ µ φ)d 4 x To integrate over R 4 we have to let R, thus we may integrate by parts if the first term on the right hand side vanishes in that limit. A sufficient condition for this to occur would be that φ is compactly supported or that φ µ φ vanishes faster than R 3. (iii) Finally, derive the Euler Lagrange equation by imposing that the variation of the action does not contribute to the total action. Per the principle of least of action, a small variation should not have any effect on the action, thus 0 =! δs = d 4 x( µ δϕ µ ϕ + µ ϕ µ δϕ) = d 4 x µ δϕ µ ϕ (5) IBP = d 4 x( µ µ ϕ)δϕ where we assumed that the conditions for integration by parts are met. Thus the Euler Lagrange equation of this system is 0 = µ µ φ = ϕ (6) 3 Covariant Maxwell Equations Compute the eom by either applying the principle of least action or using the Euler Lagrange equation. Using principle of least action: ( ) δs = d 4 xδ F µν F µν + A µ j µ ( ) = d 4 x (F µν δf µν + δf µν F µν ) + δa µ j µ ( ) = d 4 x F µν δ( µ A ν µ A µ ) + δa µ j µ µ 0 ( ) = d 4 x (F µν µ δa ν F µν ν δa µ ) + δa µ j µ µ 0 ( ) IBP = d 4 x ( µ F µν δa ν ν F µν δa µ ) δa µ j µ µ 0 ( ) = d 4 x ν F νµ + j µ δa µ! = 0 µ 0 = µ F µν = µ 0 j ν (7) We used the antisymmetric property of the field strength tensor ( F µν = F νµ ) in the last equality.

(ii) First derive the inhomogeneous Maxwell equations. Set the index ν = 0 and inserting the definition of the electric field: µ F µ0 = 0 F 00 + a F a0 = c E = µ 0j 0 = µ 0 cρ = ρ cɛ 0 (8) which yields Gauß s law. Now setting ν = i and using the definition of the electric and magnetic field F ij = ε ijk B k : ( µ 0 j i = µ F µi = 0 F 0i + j F ji = i c te + B) (9) which is Maxwell s fourth equation. (iii) Second, derive the homogeneous Maxwell equations from the Bianchi Identity. The Bianchi identity is α F βγ + β F γα + γ F αβ = 0 (0) If all three indices are space indices then we may summarise this identity as ɛ ijk i F jk = 0. In this case using we find F ij = ε ijk B k B i = ε ijkf jk () For the other equation let α = i, β = j γ = 0, and apply ε ijk to get i B i = ε ijk i F jk = 0 () B = 0 (3) ( 0 = ε ijk i F j0 + j F 0i + 0 F ij ) ( = ε ijk j F 0i + j F 0i + 0 F ij ) = ε ijk j F }{{} 0i + ε ijk 0 F ij = E i/c (4) = c ε ijk i E j + ε ijk 0 F ij = c ( E) k + c t B k = E + t B = 0 (iv) Third, derive the continuity equation. Taking the divergence of the covariant inhomogeneous Maxwell equation: 0 = ν µ F µν + ν j ν = ν j ν (5) By decomposing the index ν into a temporal and spatial part, we get the ordinary expression of the continuity equation: ν j ν = 0 j 0 + i j i = c tcρ + i j i = t ρ = j (6)

(v) Use the Legendre transformation and find an expression in terms of E and B. a) F µν = µ A ν ν A µ which yields ( 0 A κ ) = η µρ η νσ ( 0 A κ ) (F ρσf µν ) = ( (η µ0 η νκ η µκ η ν0 )F µν + (η 0ρ η κσ η κρ η 0σ )F ρσ ) = (F 0κ F κ0 + F 0κ F κ0 ) = µ 0 F 0κ (7) We have F 0i = Ei c and F ij = ɛ ijk B k. Thus using ) F µν F µν = (B E c (8) Furthermore ( 0 A µ ) 0A µ = µ 0 F 0µ 0 A µ = µ 0 c Ei t A i = ɛ 0 E t A (9) Since E i = i φ t A i we have ɛ 0 E i t A i = ɛ 0 E i i φ E i E i = ɛ 0 E i i φ + E Inserting this into (9) the Hamiltonian becomes ( H ɛ 0 E + ɛ 0 E i i φ + ( B ɛ 0 µ 0 E ) ) + A µ j µ µ 0 ( ) ) (ɛ 0 E + µ0 B ɛ 0 φ E + A µ j µ ( ) ) (ɛ 0 E + µ0 B φρ + A µ j µ ( ) ) (ɛ 0 E + µ0 B + A i j i (30) where we used (φe) = i (φe i ) = E i i φ + φ i E i = E i i φ + φ E as well as the Maxwell-equation E = ɛ 0 ρ and from the first to the second line we integrated by parts using Gauß s theorem and dropped the boundary term due to the fall-off conditions of the Maxwell-fields. In the last line we used that A 0 j 0 = φ c cρ = φρ.