d = ½(v o + v f) t distance = ½ (initial velocity + final velocity) time

Similar documents
KINEMATICS IN ONE DIMENSION

Physics 180A Fall 2008 Test points. Provide the best answer to the following questions and problems. Watch your sig figs.

Today: Falling. v, a

IB Physics Kinematics Worksheet

Conceptual Physics Review (Chapters 2 & 3)

Displacement ( x) x x x

Physics 20 Lesson 5 Graphical Analysis Acceleration

Physics 221 Fall 2008 Homework #2 Solutions Ch. 2 Due Tues, Sept 9, 2008

v x + v 0 x v y + a y + v 0 y + 2a y + v y Today: Projectile motion Soccer problem Firefighter example

x(m) t(sec ) Homework #2. Ph 231 Introductory Physics, Sp-03 Page 1 of 4

WEEK-3 Recitation PHYS 131. of the projectile s velocity remains constant throughout the motion, since the acceleration a x

Two Dimensional Dynamics

Chapter 3 Kinematics in Two Dimensions

Q2.1 This is the x t graph of the motion of a particle. Of the four points P, Q, R, and S, the velocity v x is greatest (most positive) at

!!"#"$%&#'()!"#&'(*%)+,&',-)./0)1-*23)

Unit 1 Test Review Physics Basics, Movement, and Vectors Chapters 1-3

- Graphing: Position Velocity. Acceleration

a 10.0 (m/s 2 ) 5.0 Name: Date: 1. The graph below describes the motion of a fly that starts out going right V(m/s)

In this chapter the model of free motion under gravity is extended to objects projected at an angle. When you have completed it, you should

Lecture 2-1 Kinematics in One Dimension Displacement, Velocity and Acceleration Everything in the world is moving. Nothing stays still.

Two Dimensional Dynamics

Of all of the intellectual hurdles which the human mind has confronted and has overcome in the last fifteen hundred years, the one which seems to me

1. Kinematics I: Position and Velocity

Solution: b All the terms must have the dimension of acceleration. We see that, indeed, each term has the units of acceleration

1. The graph below shows the variation with time t of the acceleration a of an object from t = 0 to t = T. a

Decimal moved after first digit = 4.6 x Decimal moves five places left SCIENTIFIC > POSITIONAL. a) g) 5.31 x b) 0.

Guest Lecturer Friday! Symbolic reasoning. Symbolic reasoning. Practice Problem day A. 2 B. 3 C. 4 D. 8 E. 16 Q25. Will Armentrout.

Testing What You Know Now

~v = x. ^x + ^y + ^x + ~a = vx. v = v 0 + at. ~v P=A = ~v P=B + ~v B=A. f k = k. W tot =KE. P av =W=t. W grav = mgy 1, mgy 2 = mgh =,U grav

Today: Graphing. Note: I hope this joke will be funnier (or at least make you roll your eyes and say ugh ) after class. v (miles per hour ) Time

Physics Notes - Ch. 2 Motion in One Dimension

Ground Rules. PC1221 Fundamentals of Physics I. Kinematics. Position. Lectures 3 and 4 Motion in One Dimension. A/Prof Tay Seng Chuan

CHEAPEST PMT ONLINE TEST SERIES AIIMS/NEET TOPPER PREPARE QUESTIONS

Lab #2: Kinematics in 1-Dimension

Phys 221 Fall Chapter 2. Motion in One Dimension. 2014, 2005 A. Dzyubenko Brooks/Cole

MOMENTUM CONSERVATION LAW

Position, Velocity, and Acceleration

Best test practice: Take the past test on the class website

AP CALCULUS AB 2003 SCORING GUIDELINES (Form B)

Summary:Linear Motion

PHYSICS 220 Lecture 02 Motion, Forces, and Newton s Laws Textbook Sections

Motion along a Straight Line

2.1: What is physics? Ch02: Motion along a straight line. 2.2: Motion. 2.3: Position, Displacement, Distance

Practicing Problem Solving and Graphing

Phys1112: DC and RC circuits

Biol. 356 Lab 8. Mortality, Recruitment, and Migration Rates

SPH3U: Projectiles. Recorder: Manager: Speaker:

Suggested Practice Problems (set #2) for the Physics Placement Test

AP Calculus BC Chapter 10 Part 1 AP Exam Problems

1. VELOCITY AND ACCELERATION

LAB 5 - PROJECTILE MOTION

MEI Mechanics 1 General motion. Section 1: Using calculus

Linear Motion I Physics

Physics 101 Fall 2006: Exam #1- PROBLEM #1

LAB 6: SIMPLE HARMONIC MOTION

4.5 Constant Acceleration

Physics 218 Exam 1. with Solutions Fall 2010, Sections Part 1 (15) Part 2 (20) Part 3 (20) Part 4 (20) Bonus (5)

4 3 a b (C) (a 2b) (D) (2a 3b)

2. What is the displacement of the bug between t = 0.00 s and t = 20.0 s? A) cm B) 39.9 cm C) cm D) 16.1 cm E) +16.

UCLA: Math 3B Problem set 3 (solutions) Fall, 2018

x i v x t a dx dt t x

Farr High School NATIONAL 5 PHYSICS. Unit 3 Dynamics and Space. Exam Questions

University Physics with Modern Physics 14th Edition Young TEST BANK

PHYSICS 149: Lecture 9

0 time. 2 Which graph represents the motion of a car that is travelling along a straight road with a uniformly increasing speed?

Equations of motion for constant acceleration

Kinematics Vocabulary. Kinematics and One Dimensional Motion. Position. Coordinate System in One Dimension. Kinema means movement 8.

Chapter 15: Phenomena. Chapter 15 Chemical Kinetics. Reaction Rates. Reaction Rates R P. Reaction Rates. Rate Laws

AP CALCULUS AB/CALCULUS BC 2016 SCORING GUIDELINES. Question 1. 1 : estimate = = 120 liters/hr

Parametrics and Vectors (BC Only)

Speed and Velocity. Overview. Velocity & Speed. Speed & Velocity. Instantaneous Velocity. Instantaneous and Average

Physics 3A: Basic Physics I Shoup Sample Midterm. Useful Equations. x f. x i v x. a x. x i. v xi v xf. 2a x f x i. y f. a r.

Section A: Forces and Motion

Constant Acceleration

One-Dimensional Kinematics

WELCOME TO 1103 PERIOD 3. Homework Exercise #2 is due at the beginning of class. Please put it on the stool in the front of the classroom.

AP Physics 1 - Summer Assignment

1998 Calculus AB Scoring Guidelines

Two Coupled Oscillators / Normal Modes

Kinematics. See if you can define distance. We think you ll run into the same problem.

Physics 131- Fundamentals of Physics for Biologists I

9702/1/O/N/02. are set up a vertical distance h apart. M 1 M 2. , it is found that the ball takes time t 1. to reach M 2 ) 2

3.6 Derivatives as Rates of Change

02. MOTION. Questions and Answers

15210 RECORDING TIMER - AC STUDENT NAME:

15. Bicycle Wheel. Graph of height y (cm) above the axle against time t (s) over a 6-second interval. 15 bike wheel

dt = C exp (3 ln t 4 ). t 4 W = C exp ( ln(4 t) 3) = C(4 t) 3.

s in boxe wers ans Put

15. Vector Valued Functions

Q.1 Define work and its unit?

Physics 5A Review 1. Eric Reichwein Department of Physics University of California, Santa Cruz. October 31, 2012

Giambattista, Ch 3 Problems: 9, 15, 21, 27, 35, 37, 42, 43, 47, 55, 63, 76

Some Basic Information about M-S-D Systems

Physics 30: Chapter 2 Exam Momentum & Impulse

and v y . The changes occur, respectively, because of the acceleration components a x and a y

Math 2214 Solution Test 1B Fall 2017

The average rate of change between two points on a function is d t

SOLUTIONS TO CONCEPTS CHAPTER 3

Unit 1 - Descriptive Models for Linear Motion

Transcription:

BULLSEYE Lab Name: ANSWER KEY Dae: Pre-AP Physics Lab Projecile Moion Weigh = 1 DIRECTIONS: Follow he insrucions below, build he ramp, ake your measuremens, and use your measuremens o make he calculaions following. 1. (10 poins) Using he maerials in he back (insulaion foam, siding, cardboard, pvc pipe, ape, books, marbles, bullseye sign), build a ramp like he one shown a righ. The mos imporan x r building aspec is ha he ball roll off he able horizonally afer coming down an incline of some sor (i shouldn arc upwards ino he air or face downwards as i rolls off).. Selec a disance away from he able & ape down your bullseye arge. The cener of he bullseye mus be a leas 50 cm away from he place where he ball rolls off he able. 3. Adjus he heigh of your ramp (or he locaion of he bullseye) unil you are able o roll he seel ball down and make a bullseye (he small cener circle no jus any par of he arge) a leas wice in a row. Call he eacher, show him/her ha your se up can hi he bullseye y o wice in a row, and have him/her iniial here when you do i. INITIALS (five poins) 4. (one poin) Measure he disance x r he ball rolls down he ramp (see Figure a righ). Pu your measuremen in he able below in he correc blank (answer in meers). EX: 0.45 m x 50 cm 5. (one poin) Measure he ime o roll down he ramp (hrough he disance x). Pu your measuremen for ime in he able below (answer in seconds). EX: = 0.5 sec 6. Calculae he acceleraion a of he ball as i goes down he ramp by doing he following seps. a. (one poin) Deermine which of he following moion formulas from Uni will allow us o find he acceleraion of he marble down he ramp if we know he disance ravelled x r by he marble, and he ime elapsed. Pu an in he righ box. v = d velociy = disance ime + a final velociy = iniial velociy + acceleraionime d = ½(v o + ) disance = ½ (iniial velociy + final velociy)ime + ad (final velociy) = (iniial velociy) + acceleraiondisance a = v acceleraion = velociy ime d + ½a disance = iniial velociyime+ ½acceleraionime This is he only formula ha has disance, ime,, and acceleraion, a b. zero_ (one poin) Wha is he iniial velociy v o of he marble as i jus begins is rip down he ramp a disance x? The ball is no moving a all a he beginning. 1

c. Based on your answer o Sep b., how does he moion formula you picked in Sep a. simplify? The formula d + ½a becomes d = ½a because he v o erm drops ou since v o is zero and anyhing imes zero is zero. Wrie he simplified formula here: d = ½a (one poin). d. Now solve he moion formula from Sep c. for he acceleraion, a. In oher words, leave a by iself and ge everyhing else on he oher side of he equal sign. d = ½a d = ½a d = a d Wrie your formula for a here. a = d (one poin) a d = e. (one poin) Find he acceleraion a of he marble as i moves down he ramp using he daa you obained for disance, x r, and ime,, in Seps 4 and 5 above. Record your value for acceleraion in he able below. Show your work here. Acceleraion is measured in m/s. a = d (0.45 m) = (0.5) = 14.4 m/s 7. (one poin) Now look a he moion formula able below. Deermine which of he following moion formulas from Uni will allow us o find he final velociy of he marble as i comes down he ramp and ono he able if we know he iniial velociy of he marble v o, he acceleraion of he marble a, and he ime elapsed. Pu an in he righ box. v = d d = ½(v o + ) velociy = disance ime disance = ½ (iniial velociy + final velociy)ime + a final velociy = iniial velociy + acceleraionime The only formula ha has v o, he iniial velociy, a, he acceleraion, and, he ime = a + ad (final velociy) = (iniial velociy) + acceleraiondisance a = v acceleraion = velociy ime d + ½a disance = iniial velociyime+ ½acceleraionime 8. (one poin) Using he moion formula you seleced in Sep 7, find he final velociy of he marble as i leaves he ramp and makes is way across he horizonal able surface. Show your work here and record your answer in he correc blank in he answer able below. + a = 0 + 14.4 m/s (0.5 s) = 3.6 m/s DIRECTIONS: Fill in he missing blanks here: a. (one poin) Noice we are calling he final velociy and no jus because we are indicaing he marble s velociy when i leaves he ramp is horizonal and no _verical. b. (wo poins) Also, since he able is horizonal, he velociy a which he marble leaves he ramp is he same as he velociy he marble moves a when i falls of he able. The marble has a consan_ velociy on he able, meaning i does no accelerae. 9. (one poin) Now in he able below record (in meers) in he correc blank how far he bullseye is horizonally from he base of your able, x (see Figure a righ on p. 1). Remember ha he horizonal disance had o be a leas 0.50 m away from he able. EX: 1.5 m

DIRECTIONS: Fill in he missing blanks here: a. (four poins) Afer he marble flies off he able horizonally, i will experience wo kinds of moion. I will coninue o move horizonally as i was before bu i will now also sar o _ move/fall verically due o he pull of he force of graviy on i. b. (hree poins) Bu as we saw in he Falling Monkey Firesarer/video and he Firesarer/Myhbusers video abou shooing a _bulle ou of a gun a he same ime as you dropped he bulle nex o he gun, horizonal movemen is independen of verical movemen. Graviy doesn _affec/impac horizonal movemen. 10. (one poin) Now look a he moion formula able below. Deermine which of he following moion formulas from Uni will allow us o find he ime i akes he marble o fly horizonally from he able hrough a horizonal disance x o hi he bullseye if i is moving a a horizonal velociy of. Remember: he acceleraion due o graviy does NOT affec horizonal moion. Pu an in he righ box. v = d velociy = disance ime This is he formula for consan velociy problems where here is no acceleraion. + a final velociy = iniial velociy + acceleraionime d = ½(v o + ) disance = ½ (iniial velociy + final velociy)ime + ad (final velociy) = (iniial velociy) + acceleraiondisance a = v acceleraion = velociy ime d + ½a disance = iniial velociyime+ ½acceleraionime 11. (one poin) Solve for ime in he formula you seleced in Sep 10. and find he ime i ook he marble o hi he bullseye. Record your answer in he correc blank in he able below. Show your work here. v = d = d 1.5 m = = 0.4 s 1.50 m was he horizonal disance from he able o he bullseye and 3.6 m/s was vxf, he horizonal v 3.6 m/s velociy of he marble. 1. Now le s verify if our ime ha we found in Sep 11. is reasonable by doing he following seps. a. (one poin) Measure he heigh y o of he able off he ground (See Figure a righ on p. 1) in meers. Record your answer in he correc blank in he able below. EX: 0.9 m DIRECTIONS: Fill in he missing blanks here: a. (one poin) The ime for he marble o move horizonally from he able o he arge is he same ime for he marble o _fall down o he ground as graviy pulls i down. b. (hree poins) Graviy pulls hings down o he ground a a rae of negaive _10 meers per second per second. Graviy is very predicable. So if we did our mah righ, we should be able o find ou how _far_ (in m) he marble fell in he ime 3

we found in Sep. 11 when pulled down by graviy. This disance fallen by he marble should mach up prey closely wih he _heigh_ of he able ha we measured in Sep. 1.a. c. (one poin) Look again a he moion formula able below. Deermine which of he following moion formulas from Uni will allow us o find he disance d he marble falls from he able afer seconds have passed if he marble has an iniial velociy of v o and is being acceleraed due o graviy. Pu an in he righ box. v = d d = ½(v o + ) velociy = disance ime disance = ½ (iniial velociy + final velociy)ime + a final velociy = iniial velociy + acceleraionime + ad (final velociy) = (iniial velociy) + acceleraiondisance a = v acceleraion = velociy ime d + ½a disance = iniial velociyime+ ½acceleraionime This is he only formula wih disance d, ime, and acceleraion, a. d. Wai a second! Le s hink abou he verical velociy of he marble as i leaves he able. DIRECTIONS: Fill in he missing blanks here: (one poin) Since he marble flew off he able horizonally, i s iniial verical velociy is _zero. Graviy sill hasn had ime o ac upon i. e. (one poin) So our formula from Sep. c. simplifies. Wrie down your simplified formula here: d = ½a NOTE: his formula is a LOT like he formula in Sep 6.c. above. f. (one poin) The verical acceleraion is due o graviy which has a value of _-10 meers per second per second. g. (one poin) Plug in your value for a from Sep f. above and he ime you found in Sep 11 ino your formula and solve for he disance fallen, y o. Pu your answer here: d = ½(10 m/s )(0.4) _= 0.87 m. h. (one poin) Is he answer for Sep g. above reasonably close o he answer you go for y o from Sep 1.a.? YES NO 0.9 m (our measured able heigh) is reasonably close o 0.87 m (our calculaed falling disance/able heigh) 13. Now le s find he final verical velociy of he marble righ before i his he ground. This is one of your menal mah ricks. DIRECTIONS: Fill in he missing blanks here: (wo poins) I ook he marble 0.4 s_ (Ans. o Sep. 11) seconds o fall o he ground. If graviy increases he velociy of a falling objec by 10 meers per second per second, hen he final verical velociy of he marble is 4. m/s. Pu your answer in he correc blank in he able below. This is he menal mah hing we praciced. Graviy (10 m/s/s), g, imes he ime, = verical velociy 14. Final sep. We said earlier ha he marble is moving horizonally and falling a he same ime once i leaves he able. vy 4

15. Righ before i lands, i is moving diagonally a a velociy of meers per second as shown in he illusraion a righ: a. (hree poins) DIRECTIONS: Fill in he missing blanks here. To find he final diagonal velociy of he marble righ before i his he ground we have o recognize he geomeric shape of a righ riangle above formed by he hree velociies pu ogeher. This les us use he _Pyhagorean_ Theorem o find he value of, he final diagonal velociy, which is he hypoenuse of he riangle. is he adjacen side of he riangle and is he opposie side. b. (one poin) Find he final velociy, of he marble from Sep 15.a. and pu he answer in he correc blank in he able below. Lengh of ramp, x r (in m) ha he marble rolls down Heigh of able, y f (in m) above ground Y o Horizonal disance, x, from able o arge (in m), where he marble falls x Time, r (in s) o roll down he ramp o edge of able Time, f (in s) marble is in he air afer rolling off he able Acceleraion, a, of marble down he ramp (in m/s/s) a Horizonal velociy, v x, of he marble when i flies off he able Final verical velociy,, of he marble when i lands. Final diagonal velociy,, of he marble when i lands. x r 0.45 m 0.9 m 1.5 m 0.5 sec 0.4 s 14.4 m/s 3.6 m/s 4. m/s 5.5 m/s Final diagonal velociy from Pyhagorean Theorem: c = a + b = + = v y + = (4. m/s) + (3. 6 m/s) = 17. 36 + 1. 96 = 30. 3 = 5.5 m/s 5