T104. c Dr. Md. Zahurul Haq (BUET) Second Law of Thermodynamics ME 201 (2015) 2 / 23 T136

Similar documents
CHAPTER 6 THE SECOND LAW OF THERMODYNAMICS

Lecture 21: Introducing the Second Law, Irreversibilities

Spring_#7. Thermodynamics. Youngsuk Nam.

Equivalence of Kelvin-Planck and Clausius statements

SECOND LAW OF THERMODYNAMICS

Classical Approach to 2 nd Law for CM

CHAPTER 2 THE SECOND LAW OF THERMODYNAMICS Instructor: Prof. Dr. Uğur Atikol

Free expansion (Joule); Constant U Forced expansion (Joule-Kelvin); Constant H. Joule-Kelvin coefficient - heating or cooling on JK expansion?

V. The Second Law of Thermodynamics. V. The Second Law of Thermodynamics

Engineering Thermodynamics. Chapter 5. The Second Law of Thermodynamics

Gechstudentszone.wordpress.com. Chapter 6. Vittal.K

SECOND LAW OF THERMODYNAMICS

Unit D-2: List of Subjects

The Kelvin-Planck statement of the second law

October 18, 2011 Carnot cycle - 1

Chapter 16 The Second Law of Thermodynamics

Chapter 12 Thermodynamics

Reversibility, Irreversibility and Carnot cycle. Irreversible Processes. Reversible Processes. Carnot Cycle

ME 2322 Thermodynamics I PRE-LECTURE Lesson 23 Complete the items below Name:

Basic thermodynamics. heat to the high temperature reservoir.

Thermodynamic Systems, States, and Processes

Chapter 11 Heat Engines and The Second Law of Thermodynamics

Chapter 12. The Laws of Thermodynamics. First Law of Thermodynamics

Chapter 5. The Second Law of Thermodynamics (continued)

Department of Mechanical Engineering ME 322 Mechanical Engineering Thermodynamics. Introduction to 2 nd Law and Entropy.

SOLUTION: Consider the system to be the refrigerator (shown in the following schematic), which operates over a cycle in normal operation.

Chapter 2. Energy and the First Law of Thermodynamics Continued-4

Part III Second Law of Thermodynamics

Lecture 9. Heat engines. Pre-reading: 20.2

Conservation of Energy for a Closed System. First Law of Thermodynamics. First Law of Thermodynamics for a Change in State

CARNOT CYCLE = T = S ( U,V )

Chapter 12. The Laws of Thermodynamics

c Dr. Md. Zahurul Haq (BUET) Thermodynamic Processes & Efficiency ME 6101 (2017) 2 / 25 T145 = Q + W cv + i h 2 = h (V2 1 V 2 2)

1. INTRODUCTION TO REFRIGERATION AND AIR CONDITION

THERMODYNAMICS Lecture 5: Second Law of Thermodynamics

Consequences of Second Law of Thermodynamics. Entropy. Clausius Inequity

Lecture Outline Chapter 18. Physics, 4 th Edition James S. Walker. Copyright 2010 Pearson Education, Inc.

Applied Thermodynamics. Gas Power Cycles

c Dr. Md. Zahurul Haq (BUET) Entropy ME 203 (2017) 2 / 27 T037

Chapter 20. Heat Engines, Entropy and the Second Law of Thermodynamics. Dr. Armen Kocharian

Lecture 26. Second law of thermodynamics. Heat engines and refrigerators.

Lecture Notes Set 4c: Heat engines and the Carnot cycle

Where F1 is the force and dl1 is the infinitesimal displacement, but F1 = p1a1

I.D The Second Law Q C

T222 T194. c Dr. Md. Zahurul Haq (BUET) Gas Power Cycles ME 6101 (2017) 2 / 20 T225 T226

Thermodynamics is the Science of Energy and Entropy

Consequences of Second Law of Thermodynamics. Entropy. Clausius Inequity

Classification following properties of the system in Intensive and Extensive

12 The Laws of Thermodynamics

Chapter 20 Second Law of Thermodynamics. Copyright 2009 Pearson Education, Inc.

Lecture 2 Entropy and Second Law

University Physics (Prof. David Flory) Chapt_21 Monday, November 26, 2007 Page 1

Examples. Fire Piston (demo) Example (Comparison of processes)

Lecture 44: Review Thermodynamics I

Physics 150. Thermodynamics. Chapter 15

The first law of thermodynamics. U = internal energy. Q = amount of heat energy transfer

IS A PARTICULAR PROCESS / REACTION FEASIBLE? TO WHAT EXTENT DOES THE PROCESS / REACTION PROCEED?

Chapter 1: FUNDAMENTAL CONCEPTS OF THERMODYNAMICS AND VARIOUS THERMODYMIC PROCESSES

ME6301- ENGINEERING THERMODYNAMICS UNIT I BASIC CONCEPT AND FIRST LAW PART-A

Thermodynamics Second Law Heat Engines

Entropy and the second law of thermodynamics

Thermodynamics Lecture Series

Chemistry 163B Refrigerators and Generalization of Ideal Gas Carnot (four steps to exactitude) E&R pp 86-91, Raff pp.

Basic Thermodynamics. Prof. S. K. Som. Department of Mechanical Engineering. Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur.

ΔU = Q W. Tue Dec 1. Assign 13/14 Friday Final: Fri Dec 11 2:30PM WALTER 145. Thermodynamics 1st Law. 2 nd Law. Heat Engines and Refrigerators

CLAUSIUS INEQUALITY. PROOF: In Classroom

Second Law of Thermodynamics -

CHAPTER - 12 THERMODYNAMICS

0 questions at random and keep in order

c describe the Carnot cycle. c interpret the Clausius inequality.

Basic Thermodynamics

Second Law of Thermodynamics: Concept of Entropy. While the first law of thermodynamics defines a relation between work and heat, in terms of

Photon steam engines. Work can be extracted from a single heat bath at the boundary between classical and quantum thermodynamics

T s change via collisions at boundary (not mechanical interaction)

LANDMARK UNIVERSITY, OMU-ARAN

T098. c Dr. Md. Zahurul Haq (BUET) First Law of Thermodynamics ME 201 (2012) 2 / 26

Existing Resources: Supplemental/reference for students with thermodynamics background and interests:

T718. c Dr. Md. Zahurul Haq (BUET) HX: Energy Balance and LMTD ME 307 (2018) 2/ 21 T793

CHEM Introduction to Thermodynamics Fall Entropy and the Second Law of Thermodynamics

ME Thermodynamics I. Lecture Notes and Example Problems

= for reversible < for irreversible

c Dr. Md. Zahurul Haq (BUET) Heat Exchangers: Rating & Sizing - I ME 307 (2017) 2 / 32 T666

Thermodynamic system is classified into the following three systems. (ii) Closed System It exchanges only energy (not matter) with surroundings.

5/6/ :41 PM. Chapter 6. Using Entropy. Dr. Mohammad Abuhaiba, PE

ME 2322 Thermodynamics I PRE-LECTURE Lesson 23 Complete the items below Name:

King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals

Chapter 7. Entropy. by Asst.Prof. Dr.Woranee Paengjuntuek and Asst. Prof. Dr.Worarattana Pattaraprakorn

Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach Seventh Edition Yunus A. Cengel, Michael A. Boles McGraw-Hill, Chapter 7 ENTROPY

Atkins / Paula Physical Chemistry, 8th Edition. Chapter 3. The Second Law

Thermodynamic Third class Dr. Arkan J. Hadi

Introduction to Aerospace Propulsion. Prof. Bhaskar Roy. Prof. A. M. Pradeep. Department of Aerospace Engineering

BME-A PREVIOUS YEAR QUESTIONS

18.13 Review & Summary

Handout 12: Thermodynamics. Zeroth law of thermodynamics

Chapter 20 Entropy and the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics

CHAPTER 15 The Laws of Thermodynamics. Units

Spring_#8. Thermodynamics. Youngsuk Nam

Lecture 2.7 Entropy and the Second law of Thermodynamics During last several lectures we have been talking about different thermodynamic processes.

Chapter 19. Heat Engines

Transcription:

Some Observations in Work & Heat Conversions & Second Law of Thermodynamics Dr. Md. Zahurul Haq Professor Department of Mechanical Engineering Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology (BUET) Dhaka-1000, Bangladesh T104 Work can always be converted to heat directly and completely, but the reverse is not true. zahurul@me.buet.ac.bd http://teacher.buet.ac.bd/zahurul/ ME 201: Basic Thermodynamics T054 c Dr. Md. Zahurul Haq (BUET) Second Law of Thermodynamics ME 201 (2015) 1 / 23 c Dr. Md. Zahurul Haq (BUET) Second Law of Thermodynamics ME 201 (2015) 2 / 23 Thermal Reservoir T055 c Dr. Md. Zahurul Haq (BUET) Second Law of Thermodynamics ME 201 (2015) 3 / 23 T136 A thermal reservoir is a closed system with the following characteristics: Temperature remains uniform and constant during a process. Changes within the thermal reservoir are internally reversible. Heat transfer to or from a thermal reservoir only results in an increase or decrease in the internal energy of the reservoir. A thermal reservoir is an idealization which in practice can be closely approximated. Large bodies of water, such as oceans and lakes, and the atmosphere behave essentially as thermal reservoirs. c Dr. Md. Zahurul Haq (BUET) Second Law of Thermodynamics ME 201 (2015) 4 / 23

Heat Engine: Classifications (Heat) Engine T105 T058 T106 T107 c Dr. Md. Zahurul Haq (BUET) Second Law of Thermodynamics ME 201 (2015) 5 / 23 c Dr. Md. Zahurul Haq (BUET) Second Law of Thermodynamics ME 201 (2015) 6 / 23 Refrigerator/Air-conditioner T109 T108 Thermal Efficiency, η th W net,out Q in = 1 Q out Q in = 1 Q L T110 T142 c Dr. Md. Zahurul Haq (BUET) Second Law of Thermodynamics ME 201 (2015) 7 / 23 c Dr. Md. Zahurul Haq (BUET) Second Law of Thermodynamics ME 201 (2015) 8 / 23

T144 T111 T138 Coefficient of Performance, COP R = Desired Output Required Input = Q L c Dr. Md. Zahurul Haq (BUET) Second Law of Thermodynamics ME 201 (2015) 9 / 23 c Dr. Md. Zahurul Haq (BUET) Second Law of Thermodynamics ME 201 (2015) 10 / 23 Heat Pump Reversible Engines T112 T137 Coefficient of Performance, COP HP = Desired Output Required Input = COP HP = = Q L+ = COP R + 1 c Dr. Md. Zahurul Haq (BUET) Second Law of Thermodynamics ME 201 (2015) 11 / 23 T035 T036 A reversible process for a system is defined as a process that once having taken place can be reversed and in so doing leave no change in either the system or the surrounding. A reversible power cycle can be changed to a reversible refrigeration cycle by just reversing all the heat and work flow quantities. c Dr. Md. Zahurul Haq (BUET) Second Law of Thermodynamics ME 201 (2015) 12 / 23

Kelvin-Planck (KP) Statement Kelvin-Planck (KP) statement It is impossible to construct a device that will operate in a cycle and produce no effect other than the raising of a weight and the exchange of heat with a single reservoir. Clausius Statement Clausius statement It is impossible to construct a device that operates in a cycle and produces no effect other than the transfer of heat from a cooler body to a hotter body. T028 δw 0 for single reservoir c Dr. Md. Zahurul Haq (BUET) Second Law of Thermodynamics ME 201 (2015) 13 / 23 T029 c Dr. Md. Zahurul Haq (BUET) Second Law of Thermodynamics ME 201 (2015) 14 / 23 Equivalence of Statements T030 Violation of Clausius (C) statement violation of Kevlin-Planck (KP) statement. c Dr. Md. Zahurul Haq (BUET) Second Law of Thermodynamics ME 201 (2015) 15 / 23 T113 Violation of Kevlin-Planck (KP) statement violation of Clausius (C) statement. c Dr. Md. Zahurul Haq (BUET) Second Law of Thermodynamics ME 201 (2015) 16 / 23

3 Observations of Two Statements 1 Both are negative statements; negative statements are impossible to prove directly. Every relevant experiment that has been conducted, either directly or indirectly, verifies the second law, and no experiment has ever been conducted that contradicts the second law. The basis of the second law is therefore experimental evidence. 2 Both statements are equivalent. Two statements are equivalent if the truth of either statement implies the truth of the other or if the violation of either statement implies the violation of the other. 3 Both statements state the impossibility of Perpetual Motion Machine of 2nd Kind (PMM2). Perpetual Motion Machines 1 A perpetual-motion machine of the first kind (PMM1) would create work from nothing or create mass or energy, thus violating the first law. 2 A perpetual-motion machine of the second kind (PMM2) would extract heat from a source and then convert this heat completely into other forms of energy, thus violating the second law. T140 c Dr. Md. Zahurul Haq (BUET) Second Law of Thermodynamics ME 201 (2015) 17 / 23 A perpetual-motion machine of the second kind. c Dr. Md. Zahurul Haq (BUET) Second Law of Thermodynamics ME 201 (2015) 18 / 23 Carnot s Principles Proof: η rev > η irr It is impossible to construct an engine that operates between two given reservoirs and is more efficient than a reversible engine operating between the same two reservoirs. All engines that operate on the Carnot cycle between two given constant-temperature reservoirs have the same efficiency. An absolute temperature scale may be defined which is independent of the measuring substances. c Dr. Md. Zahurul Haq (BUET) Second Law of Thermodynamics ME 201 (2015) 19 / 23 T114 T032 If η irr > η rev W IE > W RE for same. Hence, composite system produces net work output while exchanging heat with a single reservoir violation of K-P statement. c Dr. Md. Zahurul Haq (BUET) Second Law of Thermodynamics ME 201 (2015) 20 / 23

Proof: η rev = same for samet H & T L Thermodynamic Temperature Scale Thermal efficiency of a reversible heat engine at a given set of reservoirs is independent of construction, design and working fluid of the engine. The proof of this proposition is similar to the proof just outlined, which assumes that there is one Carnot cycle that is more efficient than another Carnot cycle operating between the same temperature reservoirs. Let the Carnot cycle with the higher efficiency replace the irreversible cycle of the previous argument, and let the Carnot cycle with the lower efficiency operate as the refrigerator. T057 η th = 1 Q L = 1 ψ(t L,T H ) Q 1 Q Q 2 = ψ(t 1,T 2 ), 2 Q 3 = ψ(t 2,T 3 ) Q 1 Q 3 = ψ(t 1,T 3 ) = Q 1 Q 2 Q2 Q 3 ψ(t 1,T 3 ) = ψ(t 1,T 2 ).ψ(t 2,T 3 ) }{{} Not a function of T 2 ψ(t 1,T 2 ) = f(t 1) f(t 2 ),ψ(t 2,T 3 ) = f(t 2) f(t 3 ) ψ(t 1,T 3 ) = f(t 1) f(t 3 ) = f(t 1) f(t 2 ) f(t 2) f(t 3 ) = Q L = ψ(t L,T H ) = f(t L) f(t H ) c Dr. Md. Zahurul Haq (BUET) Second Law of Thermodynamics ME 201 (2015) 21 / 23 Kelvin proposed that, f(t) = T Q L = T L T H η rev.engine = 1 T L T H c Dr. Md. Zahurul Haq (BUET) Second Law of Thermodynamics ME 201 (2015) 22 / 23 [Moran Ex. 5.1]: An inventor claims to have developed a power cycle capable of delivering a net work output of 410 kj for an energy input by heat transfer of 1000 kj. The system undergoing the cycle receives the heat transfer from hot gases at a temperature of 500 K and discharges energy by heat transfer to the atmosphere at 300 K. Evaluate this claim. Claimed efficiency: η = W Q in = 410 1000 = 0.41 = 41±. Maximum possible thermal efficiency: η max = 1 T L T H = 1 300 500 = 0.40 = 40±. T143 The Carnot corollaries provide a basis for evaluating the claim: Since the thermal efficiency of the actual cycle exceeds the maximum theoretical value, the claim cannot be valid. c Dr. Md. Zahurul Haq (BUET) Second Law of Thermodynamics ME 201 (2015) 23 / 23