Graph Transformations T1 and T2

Similar documents
Cographs; chordal graphs and tree decompositions

Trees. A tree is a graph which is. (a) Connected and. (b) has no cycles (acyclic).

Theory of Computation

Analysis of Algorithms. Outline. Single Source Shortest Path. Andres Mendez-Vazquez. November 9, Notes. Notes

,... We would like to compare this with the sequence y n = 1 n

Discrete Wiskunde II. Lecture 5: Shortest Paths & Spanning Trees

The Reduction of Graph Families Closed under Contraction

HW Graph Theory SOLUTIONS (hbovik) - Q

Observation 4.1 G has a proper separation of order 0 if and only if G is disconnected.

Observation 4.1 G has a proper separation of order 0 if and only if G is disconnected.

Notes on Freiman s Theorem

Connectivity and tree structure in finite graphs arxiv: v5 [math.co] 1 Sep 2014

Generalized Pigeonhole Properties of Graphs and Oriented Graphs

On shredders and vertex connectivity augmentation

Preliminaries. Graphs. E : set of edges (arcs) (Undirected) Graph : (i, j) = (j, i) (edges) V = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}, E = {(1, 3), (3, 2), (2, 4)}

An Algebraic View of the Relation between Largest Common Subtrees and Smallest Common Supertrees

Eulerian Subgraphs in Graphs with Short Cycles

CS154. Non-Regular Languages, Minimizing DFAs

Number Theory and Graph Theory. Prime numbers and congruences.

Induced Subgraph Isomorphism on proper interval and bipartite permutation graphs

5. Partitions and Relations Ch.22 of PJE.

Ring Sums, Bridges and Fundamental Sets

CS 154, Lecture 4: Limitations on DFAs (I), Pumping Lemma, Minimizing DFAs

1 Some loose ends from last time

Partition is reducible to P2 C max. c. P2 Pj = 1, prec Cmax is solvable in polynomial time. P Pj = 1, prec Cmax is NP-hard

Notes on Graph Theory

A shorter proof of Thomassen s theorem on Tutte paths in plane graphs

Bi-Arc Digraphs and Conservative Polymorphisms

Ramsey Theory. May 24, 2015

Kruskal s Theorem Rebecca Robinson May 29, 2007

Nowhere-zero flows in signed series-parallel graphs arxiv: v1 [math.co] 6 Nov 2014

Some operations preserving the existence of kernels

Reconstruction of certain phylogenetic networks from their tree-average distances

Domination and Total Domination Contraction Numbers of Graphs

Partitioning a graph into highly connected subgraphs

Even Cycles in Hypergraphs.

1.3 Vertex Degrees. Vertex Degree for Undirected Graphs: Let G be an undirected. Vertex Degree for Digraphs: Let D be a digraph and y V (D).

Nowhere-zero 3-flows in triangularly connected graphs

k-blocks: a connectivity invariant for graphs

Dynamic Programming on Trees. Example: Independent Set on T = (V, E) rooted at r V.

Lecture 10 February 4, 2013

MAS210 Graph Theory Exercises 5 Solutions (1) v 5 (1)

Packet #1: Logic & Proofs. Applied Discrete Mathematics

List of Theorems. Mat 416, Introduction to Graph Theory. Theorem 1 The numbers R(p, q) exist and for p, q 2,

DEGREE SEQUENCES OF INFINITE GRAPHS

4 Packing T-joins and T-cuts

HAMILTONIAN CYCLES AVOIDING SETS OF EDGES IN A GRAPH

Section 7.1 Relations and Their Properties. Definition: A binary relation R from a set A to a set B is a subset R A B.

Finding k disjoint paths in a directed planar graph

The Chvátal-Erdős condition for supereulerian graphs and the hamiltonian index

10.4 The Kruskal Katona theorem

Avoider-Enforcer games played on edge disjoint hypergraphs

On improving matchings in trees, via bounded-length augmentations 1

Counting independent sets of a fixed size in graphs with a given minimum degree

Characterizing binary matroids with no P 9 -minor

Advanced Combinatorial Optimization September 24, Lecture 5

This article appeared in a journal published by Elsevier. The attached copy is furnished to the author for internal non-commercial research and

ACO Comprehensive Exam 19 March Graph Theory

CSC D70: Compiler Optimization Dataflow-2 and Loops

Acyclic Digraphs arising from Complete Intersections

The edge-density for K 2,t minors

Models of Computation. by Costas Busch, LSU

Perfect matchings in highly cyclically connected regular graphs

Every line graph of a 4-edge-connected graph is Z 3 -connected

1 Matchings in Non-Bipartite Graphs

arxiv: v1 [math.co] 22 Jan 2018

Lecture 7: Relations

2 GRAPH AND NETWORK OPTIMIZATION. E. Amaldi Introduction to Operations Research Politecnico Milano 1

Hamilton-Connected Indices of Graphs

Decomposing planar cubic graphs

directed weighted graphs as flow networks the Ford-Fulkerson algorithm termination and running time

ON THE NUMBERS OF CUT-VERTICES AND END-BLOCKS IN 4-REGULAR GRAPHS

16 February 2010 Draft Version

Chapter 3 Deterministic planning

An 1.75 approximation algorithm for the leaf-to-leaf tree augmentation problem

Properties of the Integers

The Mixed Chinese Postman Problem Parameterized by Pathwidth and Treedepth

a + b = b + a and a b = b a. (a + b) + c = a + (b + c) and (a b) c = a (b c). a (b + c) = a b + a c and (a + b) c = a c + b c.

Regular matroids without disjoint circuits

Section Summary. Relations and Functions Properties of Relations. Combining Relations

Paths and cycles in extended and decomposable digraphs

Tree-width and planar minors

On the number of cycles in a graph with restricted cycle lengths

arxiv: v1 [math.co] 24 Dec 2018

Standard Diraphs the (unique) digraph with no vertices or edges. (modulo n) for every 1 i n A digraph whose underlying graph is a complete graph.

Definition: A binary relation R from a set A to a set B is a subset R A B. Example:

Extremal Graphs Having No Stable Cutsets

On the Fully Commutative Elements of Coxeter Groups

Tree-width. September 14, 2015

The following techniques for methods of proofs are discussed in our text: - Vacuous proof - Trivial proof

Section VI.31. Algebraic Extensions

Well Ordered Sets (continued)

Tree Decompositions and Tree-Width

CLIQUES IN THE UNION OF GRAPHS

Part V. Matchings. Matching. 19 Augmenting Paths for Matchings. 18 Bipartite Matching via Flows

Technische Universität Ilmenau Institut für Mathematik

CMPSCI611: The Matroid Theorem Lecture 5

Mathematics Course 111: Algebra I Part I: Algebraic Structures, Sets and Permutations

An approximate version of Hadwiger s conjecture for claw-free graphs

6.046 Recitation 11 Handout

Transcription:

Graph Transformations T1 and T2 We now introduce two graph transformations T1 and T2. Reducibility by successive application of these two transformations is equivalent to reducibility by intervals. The transformation T1 removes self arcs (i.e. arcs of the form (x,x)). The transformation T2 replaces two nodes x and y connected by an arc, and x only predecessor of y, with a single node z. Predecessors of x become predecessors of z and successors of x or y become successors of z. (x comsumes y). We denote the application of one of these transformations on a graph G as either G Ti G with i = 1, 2 or G G. Theorem 2. can only be applied a finite number of times. is a function. That is P Q and P R implies Q = R. Note: is the completion of. That is, P Q means that there is a sequence of graphs G 1, G 2,..., G k such that P = G 1 G 2... G k = Q, and there is no R Qsuch that Q R. 52

Lemma 10. If G is a flow graph, then G * I(G). ( * is the reflexive and transitive clousure of. That is P * Q means that either P=Q or there are G 1, G 2,..., G k such that P = G 1 G 2... G k = Q) Proof It is sufficient to show that each interval of G can be transformed using the T1 and T2 transformations. For each interval 1.Delete self loops from header using T1 2.Apply T2 in the order in which the nodes are included in the interval. If a self loop is generated, remove it applying T1. Corollary 1. If a flow graph G is reducible, then G * 0 (the trivial graph) Proof Apply Lemma 10 iteratively. 53

Theorem 3. If G 0, then G is reducible. Proof Assume G 0, but I (G) = G 0. Clearly G * G by Lemma 10. Also, G 0. The reason is that if G G then G G Now, because is a funtion and G 0, we have G = 0. We assume that I(G ) = G. But since G 0, either T1 or T2 can be applied to G. If T1 can be applied is because there is a self loop that is also removed by the I transformation. Therefore I(G ) G. If T2 can be applied to (x,y), then y should be in I(x) and therefore I(G ) G. The (*) graph: s a b c The lines represent disjoint paths, and nodes s and a could be the same. 54

Lemma 11. The absence of a subgraph (*) in a flow graph is preserved by the application of T1 and T2. Proof T1 and T2 do not create new paths or make two paths disjoint. Therefore, their application cannot create a (*) subgraph. Theorem 4. If a flow graph is irreducible then it contains a (*) subgraph. Proof By induction BASIS: (n=3) For three nodes the graph is irreducible INDUCTIVE STEP: (n>=3) Now assume that the theorem is true for a graph with n-1 or fewer nodes. Consider a graph G with n nodes. By the previous Lemma we may assume that neither T1 nor T2 is applicable to G (otherwise transform G G and if G can be shown to include (*), then we will also have shown that G has (*)). 55

Let T be the the Depth First Spanning Tree of G. Let y be the rightmost child of the root of T. At least two arcs enter y (otherwise T2 could be applied). One of them is a back arc (x,y) [cannot be forward arc because the only predecessor is the root. Cannot be a cross arc because they run from right to left] Let (x,y) be a back arc entering y Let L=(N,A ) be a subgraph of G such that: (a) N contains x,y and all nodes z such that there is a path (z, x) that does not pass through y (b) A = A (intersected) (N xn) 56

Two cases to consider: (A) Initial node is in N : y does not dominate x. Then there is a forward arc from s to w, where w = x or w is an ancestor of x and w and w neq x (not equal = neq) Because (x,y) is a back arc, y is an ancestor of x and there is a path in T from y to x. If w=x then nodes s,x,y play the roles of (a,b,c) in (*) (irreducible ) If w neq x then s,w,y form (*). The paths are easily seen to be disjoint. s forward arc y w back arc x 57

(B) The initial node is not in N. Thus y dominates x. We claim that H=(N,A,y) is a flow graph, because y dominates each node z in N. Furthermroe all arcs entering H from outside enter y. Thus any reduction by T1 or T2 taking place in H with y treated as initial node, will alos be a valid reduction in G. Since g is a limit flow graph, H is also a limit flow graph. Since s is not in H, H has at most n-1 node and the inductive hypothesis applies. But, since H has a (*) subgraph with initial y it is easy to show that G has a (*) subgarph with initial node s by adding ithe path from s to y. s y x Corollary If G is a nontrivial limit flow graph, then it has a (*) subgraph in which s=a, and the paths from a to b and from a to c are each a single arc. 58

Theorem 5. If a flow graph contains a (*) subgraph then it is irreducible Proof by induction. BASIS (n=3): Same as Theorem 4. INDUCTIVE STEP: Assume that hypothesis is true for n-1 nodes. Assume hypthesis false for n nodes. That is there is a graph G with n nodes that contains a (*) subgraph and is reducible. T1 and T2 can be applied to G to get the trivial graph. The (*) subgraph will not be removed when T2 is applied. But now we have a n-1 node subgraph that is reducible and contains a(*) subgraph. A contradiction. 59