COLE. * the percentage of lean cuts increase a8 the length of'body increa6es. t1

Size: px
Start display at page:

Download "COLE. * the percentage of lean cuts increase a8 the length of'body increa6es. t1"

Transcription

1 96 THE HOG DRESSlNG PfRCfhfTAGE PROBLEM J We COLE U N I V E R S I T Y OF T E N N E S S E E 0 0 I ~ 0 ~ ~ ' Last year a t t h e 6 t h Reciprocal Meat Conference I mde a statement t h a t we as meats men could "ride herd," s o t o speak, on carcass evaluation work i n order t h a t the type pendulum would not swing t o o f a r e i t h e r way A t t h e present time, a t t h e National Barrow Show and a t our leading hog type conferences, a method i s used whereby l i v e weights a r e adjusted t o the weight of the G I tract This adjusted l i v e weight i s then divided i n t o the chilled carcass weight t o get dressing percentage To be more e x p l i c i t, the weight of t h e G I tract i s made up of' the Bung, both large and small intestines, stomch and a l l contents, r u f f l e f a t and pancreas, and is subtracted f r o m t h e preslaughter l i v e weight This gives what has been termed as "empty body weight" Twelve and one-half per cent of t h i s empty body weight i s added back t o enlpty body weight t o give adjusted l i v e weight In t h i s paper, I propose t o show t h a t t h i s method of carcass evaluation gives d i s t i n c t advantage t o the longer hogs with l e s s f a t and a decided disadvantage t o shorter, f a t t e r hogs I hasten t o add t h a t no attempt is being made here t o encourage the production of short, lardy hogs The producer should be given the true picture, insofar a0 possible, as t o the carcass value of varying kinds of pork carcas8es A s early as 1929 Scott of Purdue made t h e observation t h a t fat thickness had conaiderable e f f e c t upon yields In workers at Oregon, including Mr A W Oliver, stated t h a t ''chunky" type hogs dressed s l i g h t l y higher than "big" type The chief of the B A I i n 1935 reported that length of carcas8 was a good index t o dressing per cent and cutting yields Bull of I l l i n o i s, in the same year, stated that chuffy hogs dressed somewhat higher than intermediate o r rangy hogs In 1937 Hankins and Hiner, i n comparing Landrace and Poland China hogs t o Durocs, found t h e Durocs t o have higher dressing percentage and thicker backfats It was a l s o pointed out t h a t t h e Landrace were longer i n body Hankins and E l l i s i n 1939 reported t h a t dressing percentage was materially affected by fatness based on 5,000 normally fed hogs Again i n 1940 Eiankins reported that dressing percentage was highest with small (chuffy) type carcasses than e i t h e r i n t e r mediate o r large type Hazel of Iowa made this statement recently" * the percentage of lean cuts increase a8 the length of'body increa6es t1 D r Craft's l e t t e r t o the Conference i n 1949 states t h a t "with hog buying based on dressing percentage, highest prices a r e paid f o r excessively f a t hogs, accordingly hogs yielding less lard and highly acceptable lean cuts are somewhat penalized'' I n the Home1 booklet describing t h e i r carcass grade many f a c t o r s being and weight method of buying, t h i s statement i f found equal, the f a t t e r the hog, the more he w i l l yield i n many cases, hogs t h a t a r e discounted f o r being overfat yield enough t o offset the discount" - " All of these references plus many, many more point up the f a c t t h a t shorter, f a t t e r hogs have higher dressing percentages than longer, leaner kinds I n f a c t, t h e whole U S D A b a s i s f o r objective grades of pork carcasses i s more o r l e s s based on t h i s assuaptfon, combined with the f a c t t h a t the longer kinds produce a higher percentage of primal cuts We do hear now and then of a hog o r an occasional group of hogs t h a t not only have superior carcassed but a l s o

2 97 have high dressing percentages We hope it will be possible through breeding and selection t o reduce fatness of hogs without sacrificing dressing percentage t fast year i n our conference Mr Hankins referred t o a piece of work a t B e l t s v i l l e involving 40 hogs of about 225 lbe that varied widely as t o type, fatness, macling, e t c Empty body weights were determined and dressing percentages were figured on that b a s i s with l i t t l e o r no difference i n dressing percentage A t the U T Experiment Station, the following results were obtained, based on over 270 hogs of rangy, intermediate, and chuffy types and handled the 8ame as t o feeding, shrink, slaughter procedures, etc Table 1 Mean Meaeurement of Values Depth of Che e t Chuffy Intermediate R&Dgy Backfat Thickness USD A Grade Length / ch-# 1 # 7, kdium Ch# 2 Table 2 Percentage of Mi8 cellane ous Cuts (Based on K i l l Weight) Type - Spareribs Lean Total Viscera T r i m Fat (31 Head Tract Tongue Heart Liver Feet Tail Kidney Chuffy Intermediate WngY 27- With the inf'omtion from these tables and Borne of the data i n t h e l i t e r a t u r e, here i e a hypothetical case baaed on the National Barrow Show technique, using 200 lb live hbgs Ae sumed Dressing Percentage - Type Tract Ad jus ted (UT Data) - Chilled Carcass Weight Adjusted Live Weight GI Adjusted Dressing Percent Short (chuffy) Intermediate _ I _ -

3 98 You can immediately see t h a t when yield i s based on an "equal f i l l " o r empty body weight basis, that dressing percentages a r e about the same This indicates t o m~ t h a t most of the a c t u a l difference i n dressing percent can be accowted f o r i n such thing6 as viscera, heart, l i v e r and head I bel i e v e we should be very skeptical with any method of evaluation where t h e viscera i s tampered with A6 f a r back a8 1934, with c a t t l e, Black, Semple and Lush observed w h a t appears t o be significant differences i n f u l l stomachs and i n t e s t i n e weights between English breeds and Brahman crosses with t h e Brahman crosses having lower percentage of t h e i r k i l l weight made up of these portions of the viscera More recently, D r Varwick (Texas) reported highly significant differences between paunch contents of Hereford and F1 crosses with B r a w n as part of the cross A t Tennessee, we have found highly signifi c a n t correlations of C I t r a c t with chest cavity depth of pork carcasses - Certainly " f i l l " i s a complicating f a c t o r i n the percentage of viscera However, based on these data, I would say it i s wrong t o as8ume that f i l l is the only f a c t o r that accounts f o r difference i n weights of viscera I n other words, it is not correct t o assume that a l l hogs have the sane percentage of GI t r a c t When you consider that a t t h e National Barrow Show i n 1953, the thickness of f a t back on hogs weighing from 200 t o 220 l b s varied from 10 inch t o 2,4 inches and t h e length of t h e carcass varied from 275 inches t o 320 inches, there probably were f a c t o r s other than " f i l l " that affected dressing percentage It is well t o keep in mind t h a t the average i n yield of primal cuts of the longer hogs can be somewhat o f f s e t by a s l i g h t l y higher dressing percentage This statement can be substantiated by several research projects I have offered no solution as t o the problem of " f i l l " at the various places where carcass evaluation is used f o r educational purposes However, I hope you can see the possible danger of producers and other people using t h i s "empty body" technique i n steering people t o go t o o f a r i n the direction of long hogs MR KLINE: Now t o lead the discussion, we w i l l l e t Mr Wheeler of Clemsoa Agricultural College, take charge WHEELER: You have heard Bill Cole's remarks r e l a t i v e t o t h i s subject and have seen t h e data that he has presented, Due t o EL l i t t l e mixup in address, B i l l mailed t h i s information t o me several days ago I understand but it did not get t o me So I didn't know what he was going t o pyesent u n t i l this morning As B i l l has already indicated, what he has given i s not necessarily the opinion of our conrmittee As you gather from B i l l ' s statement he i s not e n t i r e l y i n agreement with the procedure f o r adjusting f o r f i l l He has pointed out the reasons he i a not i n agreenent with t h a t procedure and has quoted quite a b i t of data along that l i n e I t h i n k he wanted t o bring t h i s before you t o get your reactions No doubt some of you have collected data which he has not 8een and have some ideas and suggestions along t h i s l i n e, I be-

4 99 l i e v e t h a t B i l l would w e l c o i ~any suggestiane o r comments that you have, whether you agree o r disagree with h i a feelings r e l a t i v e t o t h i s matter So t h e floor i s now open f o r any comments, MR C O B : I should like t o say that I have been i n written contact with Mr Fleer He knows my views, and he is open-minded about it, but he s t i l l f e e l s that he i s correcting more errors than he i s introducing I am on the other side I believe he ie introducing more e r r o r s than he i s correctibg But, as I said before, I have not offered any solution t o the p r a b l e m I understand t h a t these hogs a r e weighed one day, usually on Wednesday a t six-thirty So t h a t there are possible differences i n fill But I believe strongly, based on our findings, t h a t there i s very good p o s s i b i l i t y of giving t o o much advantage t o t h e long hog We r e a l i z e that t h e t o p barrow was valued a t $2422 and the second one a t $2421, and a s h i f t of even one per cent i n dressing percent might s h i f t a hog i n two o r three places MR KASTELIC: I m u s t rise t o raiee 8ome points about t h e National Barrow Show selection of hogs I was i n charge of the 1953 National Barrow Show with Mr P h i l l i p Anderson who i s here I might s t a t e that t h e way it was done is we f i r s t went i n t o t h e coolers and made subj e c t i v e evaluation of the carcass Kithout knowing what the dressing percentage was We divided t'ne choice No 1 i n t o approximately three groups, depending upon backf'at increments, one 1 plue and one 2 plusses When that c l a s s i f i c a t i o n had been made and agreed upon by the three judges we then obtained the data t o which M r Cole ha6 referred I might s t a t e here that I am not i n disagreement with h i s argument, t h a t t h e data i n the l i t e r a t u r e substantiates some of it I j u s t am not too 6ure how far you can go with that argument But t h e fact remains t h a t after the subjective evaluations were made only t h e hogs t h a t rated subjectively, based on the judges' opinions, 1 plus were cansidered in t h e f i n a l places, and there were animals that dressed very well that d i d n ' t place because of lack of conformation There were animals i n there that didn't place because t h e b e l l i e s were too thin The hams were too l i g h t, That was a part of the picture In Fremont, Nebraska, the 8ame technic was used on 319 carcassesr I have that data I w i l l be happy t o submit it t o anyone who i s i n t e r ested I am sure thtlt the Hormel Compny would be pleased t o allow me t o do that The same technic was used there Subjective f i r s t, This i s a deciding point MR WHEELER: MR C O U : Do you care t o say anything further, B i l l? I haven't anything more t o say than w h a t he said MR WHEELER: Is it your f e e l i n g that probably there i s more difference i n t h e f i l l than there i s in the t r a c t i t s e l f? I am not t o o c l e a r what the basis of t h e argument i s i n that direction MR COW: I have hi6 l e t t e r somewhere i n that folder He j u s t says t h a t he i s open-minded on it and he is interested in comments from t h i s group a d is w i l l i n g t o do Eqything that is workable

5 100 You cannot present something that is too complicated and cannot He says, "We f'ully r e a l i z e t h a t organs such as the l i v e r and heart w i l l vary between hogs of t h e same l i v e o r carcass weight, j u s t as they vary i n s i z e of stomach, weight of intestines, e t c We do need, however, t o agree on a plan that i s simple and p r a c t i c a l enough t o permit adoption by gackinghouse crews a t a speed t h a t i s not far removed from normal operations The plan we use at the National Barrow Show seems t o comply with these requirements a6 w e l l as anything e also we have been able t o contact W e know t h a t yield i s important W know that there a r e other factor8," e t c He says, "We f e e l we are correcting far more e r r o r that we may be introducing with our method, crude as it may s e e m mind is open, however, and I an i n t e r e s t e d i n any system that i s workable and W i l l more accurately determine dressing yield It be done i n a packinghouse cent? MR WHEELER: D o e s he indicate how he a r r i v e s a t the 123 per MR COLE: M r Wheeler, as t o the 124 per cent, some of the p o p l e i n Minnesota probably can say I don't know how many he k i l l e d, but he k i l l e d many hogs He weighed t h e G1 tract, and he f i r s t came out i n 1949 with a figure of 24 pounds I personally haven't found many hogs that had 24 pounds of viscera He must have done it on a full weight basis I cannot f i g u r e it out otherwise Then he arrived at t h e 124 per cent figure later That eeems t o be a l i t t l e closer t o it rather than just giving a s t r a i g h t 24-pound adjusted weight ' There are many people i n t h i s room who have served on these committees at t h e National Barrow shows MR MACKINTOSH: That o r i g i n a l weight deduction w&6 based on a nuuiber of hogs I don't r e c a l l how many they ran detailed data on a t Austin Also several hundred hogs came out of the Nebraska laboratory, a l l handled by Loeffel, and that work had nothing t o do with the other, except t h a t t h e information was available and they coincided very closely That was the basis of t h e o r i g i n a l deduction However, I: might say t h a t I euppose a l l of you know that if you hold hogs off feed two hours you can make a difference of eight pounds i n the weight You can find a difference of eight pounds i n the contents of the stomach alone Take a hog that i s j u s t off straight feed and one t h a t has been held off two hours You can a l s o f i n d a material difference i n t h e weight of the l i v e r as the r e s u l t of holding them off feed MR KEMP: Is t h a t 124 per cent GI t r a c t o r t o t a l viscera? MR COZJE: GI tract Mr Wheeler, I should l i k e t o say one thing about the dressing percentage formula which i s t h e purchased weight subtracting from it t h e chilled carcass weight and t h e difference i s made up of cooler shrinkage and o f f a l Is that approximately so? Now what things would contribute t o difference i n dressing percentage What things could possibly contribu t e t o difference i n dressing percentage? Certainly t h e contents of the G I t r a c t would have the biggest bearing, but the point I am making i s

6 101 that hogs may have, according t o our data, and according t o some other data, a difference i n a b i l i t y t o hold feed or the feed stays i n t h e i r GI t r a c t longer than i n others Fecal markers have been used that have shown differences of 24 t o 60 hours f r o m the time they were fed and t h e time they showed up So it looks l i k e there are individual differences i n hogs the 8ame as there are i n humans, So my point i e t h a t the biggest 6ource of the difference, if there i s a difference i n dressing percent probably l i e s in t h e hog's a b i l i t y t o r e t a i n o r t o expel t h e feed i n the GI t r a c t MR RUST: B i l l, w h a t would you recommend that we use as a standard for our rates o r do you have any recommendations? MR C0IZ: I don't have any garticular recommendation other than t o t r y t o standardize t h e feeding and shrinkage problems as much as possible It might man holding the hogs over another day Hogs come i n t o the National Barrow show on Sunday and are not slaughtered u n t i l Wednesday I think it was Tuesday t h i s year They could be weighed out maybe a day e a r l y and fed a day If t h i s data that we have gathered i n Tennessee i s correct and I believe it i s do you see where you can give a d i s t i n c t advantage t o a long hog? What the people a t the Wtional Barrow show a r e saying and if you believe t h i s I have no argument i s that all hogs t r a c t have the same percentwe of (31 MR, BUTLER: When you s t a r t taking an average backfat thickness and basing your y i e l d of lean cuts on the average and you 8ee t h e differences i n the shaps of backfat and you know t h a t we measure them a t only three points and get an average, I think you get even more e r r o r there than you do i n difference of yield, B i l l W e tried t h i s same system on six o r eight hogs The hog that won by t h i s system was a certain breed But I t o l d the other man, "Yours looks l i k e a better carca88" I cut the two hogs, and the one that came out second actually cut aut $135 a hundredweight more MR F W U : The f a c t is t h a t a t any of these liveetock shows, and especially hog shows, t h e herdsmen who own the hogs o r have charge of them (and t h i s includes college herdsmen, too) tamper with the weight of those hogs about as much as possible, and Carroll introduced a complicated factor, 80 that no matter what they did with the hogs, Carroll was going t o iron it out so there would be no use tampering w i t h them B i l l, if you bring them i n a day early the only way ;you can control them i s t o put an iron fence around them and have one man i n charge of feeding So there i s a f a c t o r involved there which they t h i n k i s ironed out and there i s no u8e messing around with these carca86 hides MR WHEEIER: Does anyone e l s e have any contribution o r discussion, agreement o r disagreement with B i l l? Butler was cmplaining before dimer t h a t we Em PIERCE: could not g e t any f i r e i n t h i s meeting and t h a t we could not get any disagreement I know very l i t t l e about aof the things that have been discussed, but I believe t h a t the correlation between backfat and yield of' %@an c u t s is considerably higher than mentioned e a r l i e r &b

7 10'2 MR COLE: No, it was GI t r a c t and depth of chest MR PIERCE: I used t h e wrong correlation, but anyhow a correl a t i o n coefficient of about 84 We a r e getting some 9 with ~ O W S, I believe, but t h a t i s a rather high correlation between backfat thickness and yield of lean cuts, and it might even be higher than the correlation between the accuracy of your knife as you cut up t w o hogs I n other words, there i s a l o t of human e r r o r involved i n t h i s thlng So it may not be s t r i c t l y a difference i n xwasurement of backfat MR BUTLER: How did you get it without human e r r o r? MR PIERCE: We 6 t i J l got something l i k e 8 W e are accounting f o r 64 per cent of the variation We still have 36 per cent i n there But we cut more than two hogs B m : I a m glad t o g e t something started The point is that we have t o decide and give a prize t o one among a few hogs, though J u s t as he pointed out, it was $2422 against $2421 If you are going t o set up a system and i n v i t e a l o t of people t o bring hogs in and give prizes, it should be p r e t t y good MR KASTELIC: I should l i k e t o ask Mr Pierce about t h e percentage of lean cuts For certain kinds of hogs the word "lean" should have quotation rcarks around it because I know of no way of trimming them t o get lean cuts You are correlating weight with average backfat thickness, not lean meat i n every case Joe way MR PIERCE: You have injected a new element i n t h i s discussion, Lean cuts, of course, r e f e r t o the four primal cuts trimmed t h e same They are not a l l the same leanness, of course MR KASTELIC: You can have a picnic t h a t has 50 per cent fat in It as compred with one with 25 per cent MR PIERCE: I Say that that i s d e f i n i t e l y another f a c t o r here, and t h i s i s merely on the cuts that a r e a l l trimmed the same way and t h e same cuts They are not all the 68me chemical fat composition, of course MR WHEELER: Any f u r t h e r discussion? MR BRATZLER: 1 wa& not going t o discuss t h i s subject, but I think we should t & e a l l the shows with a grain of salt A l l of us have worked on committees We have t o pick a winner, and t h i s one-cent d i f f e r ence j u s t happened t o come out t h i s way Personally I voted f o r the No 2' hog I think one other person here voted along with me, but we were outvoted and 60 t h i s hog was i n second place because he was one cent less The matter of pricing these cuts, of course, w i l l influence your r e s u l t s a l o t We had t o u6e the schedule that they were using a t that time and we did t h e best we could But I would not get t o o concerned about t h e i r methods at the National Barrow show It is a very good show M? COLE: Mr Wheeler, I have one observation The 38th placed carcass was Chester White 296 inches and 18 backfat, he dressed,

8 according t o the adjusted l i v e weight, 706 per cent On the other hand, the first placed pig was the Yorkshire He was 308 inches A l i t t l e mer an inch longer He had 14 backfat, and he dressed a per cent higher If that i s t r u e, then a l l t h i s data about t h e correlation of backfat and dressed percentege does not mean much i a the point I am getting at If there had been a chance f o r that Chester White t o have dreased a half per cent lower or a h a l f per cent higher and t h e Yorkshire a half per cent lower, you can see t h a t poeitions would have changed considerably MR SULZBACHER: e,cole, how m c h difference i n G I t r a c t have you fauud per inch of weight You spoke about long ones and chuffy ones and about t h e ones that are too long, but I d i d n ' t get the difference MR COLE: Well, I don't think we correlated with length We of course, i n t o type before they were slaughtered, We d i d correlate the chest depth, however, which might be an explanation f o r did divide them, som? of these longer hogs dressing high because they probably have shallow chests along wlth it W e have k i l l e d hogs t h a t had such small chest c a v i t i e s o r abdominal c a v i t i e s that they didn't have room f o r b i g G,I t r a c t s I think you have k i l l e d them, too I have pointed out t o students and staff members many times how extremely small t h i s cavity i e in some of these very short, l a d y hogs They s t i l l had the weight They had it on the outside in t h e form of fat m PIERCE: 30 8ome 0 - B i l l, did you feed your hog6 t o a certain weight? MR COLE: W e had six d i f f e r e n t weight groups 155, 185, 205, 245, and a l l that We had about MR KLfNE: B i l l, would you be i n favor of placing t h e hogs on t h e rail without eeeing any figures on dressing percentage? important * MR COLE: I don't believe yau can Dressing percentage f a t o o MR DEATAERAGE : I don't know anything about pork except t h a t I had some awfully good pork f o r dinner I would l i k e t o say if you are only weighing your hogs t o one pound you certainly cannot make your decision on a cent, In other words, if you are weighing your hogs 200 and you can only weigh and t e l l the difference between 200 and 201, i f t h a t is your least accurate measurement, then the best you can possibly do would be on a 10-cent basis on a $20 hog MR PIERCE: I should l i k e t o vote f o r what he suggested here a minute ago I like that idea, 1-8 up at Austin about a month ago when we had a contest class and we had just such a problem The thinnest hog i n the class, which was 8,1130 one of the l i g h t e s t ones, turned up with about 3 per cent, the highest dressing percentage of anything there, MR COLE: Based on what? MR PIERCE: I presume they figured the yield With that s o r t of variation i n dressing percentage, I think we might get f u r t h e r and not even worry about going t o t h e trouble of cutting any hogs, if we l e t some of you fellows who have had a l o t of experience determining cut-outs and

9 104 r e l a t i n g them t o values, place them on the rail "hat i s the way they do i n Chicago i n t h i s carcass contest, and a f t e r observing it a few years I think It is good I am not t o o Bure t h a t the end r e s u l t i s n ' t j u s t about as accurate as we are getting i n t h e other I certainly think t h a t we should not decide the winner on a difference i n value of one cent, and that i s certainly always going t o happen as long a s you use that f i n e r yardstick MR KLINE: I want t o make Just one more comment before we wind This last spring I had t h e opportunity t o work on two carcass conteats, One of them at Davenport, The hogs came i n l a t e i n the morning because it was rainy weather, and i n weighing the visceras of those hogs a l o t of the visceras weighed only 9, 1 0 and 11 pounds So with that i n mind we decided not t o take i n t o account dressing percentage We j u s t placed the carcasses on t h e i r merits as they hung on the r a i l I was of the opinion t h a t the committee d i d a p r e t t y good job t h i s thing up A t Milwaukee this spring we handled it p r e t t y much the aame way Even though a t both places we had a stand-out f o r our top carcass t o begin with, with the e r r o r involved perhaps on an adjusted l i v e weight basis, I wa8 of the opinion t h a t it is best t o disregard dressing percentage and j u s t place the carcass on i t s merits as you Gee it on t h e rail MR COLE: I 11dBUnder6tOOd you a while ago t o put an evaluation on it I thought you s a i d MR KLINE: No, j u a t placing, MR WHEELER: Any f u r t h e r discu6eion? Ed, we'll turn it back t o you MR KLINE: Well, I hope t h i s enthusiasm does not break down before the evening i s over I think we have something here t o which we should give f'urther thought I know the Pork Carcass Evaluation Committee w i l l take up where B i l l has l e f t off and carry t h i s work f u r t h e r and perhaps have more t o report t o you next year So without f u r t h e r ado f w i l l turn it back t o Chairman Walters C R A m : WALTERS: We appreciate those thought -provoking remarks from your cormnittee, Ed, A s you have indicated, t h e discussion w i l l probably continue pro and con A t t h i s time we are going t o cast our b a l l o t s f o r Chairman of t h e Executive Committee f o r next year Thoee elected t h i s afternoon t o that committee f o r next year were: Peareon, Wanderstock, Kline, Soule and Aunan, Slips of paper have been passed around Write t h e name of one person only f o r Chairman of the Executive Committee While t h e ballot6 a r e being cast, we w i l l go r i g h t ahead w i t h t h e introductory remarks concerning the next committee which i s t o report, namely, the Consumer Education Conunittee This i s another new committee appointed during t h e year j u s t past, a committee t h a t was appointed f o r the specific purpose of bringing t o us i n organized form

10 105 ideas which a r e new, which r e l a t e t o w h a t the consumer wants i n t h e way e have appointed a6 chairman of that committee Mr E D of meat W F a m l l of Michigan State CoUege Serving with him on the colmnittee have been Professor Ziegler, Professor Naumann, an8 Professor Aunan; Professor Vantier Noot, Professor Kline, and Professor King So Buck, we'll turn the meeting over t o you a t t h i a time f o r t h e report of your committee, MR, FARWELL: Thank you very much, bwell You probably know that the reason f o r the existence of t h i s committee i s because among the suggestions that you submitted last year I believe there were more f o r consumer education information i n our reciprocal meat conference program t4an anything else, and f o r t h a t reason we set this committee up, The Extension Committee t h i s morning did a wonderful job of inhroducing the subject f o r UB, They talked quite a b i t about consumer education, and I think i f there had been time f o r discussion following t h e i r report they would have gotten i n t o our subject some more, We are r e a l l y not saying that it is our subject any more t h a n it is t h e i r subject Actually it is a part, of extension It i s a l s o a research problem, So we have t o have extension and research working together in t h i s matter of consumer education I think it has enough ramlfications that we needed t o put a committee t o work on i t, W e have another dual responsibility and that i s t o work with the economists, and I am sure t h a t quite a b i t i s going t o be said about working with t h e economists, Well, l e t ' s get i n t o t h e program To introduce our p a r t of the program we asked a man who has done considerable work aut i n t h e field, a t Cornel1 and i n New York s t a t e W e asked George Wellington if he would take part in our panel tonight, and he ie going t o diecuss as an introduction t o the subject, "Where Do We Stand In Consumer Education?" I r e a l l y f e l t t h a t Roy Snyder gave on where we stand i n consumer education UB an awfully nice preview

THE. as it i s represented by a choice No. 1 grade as described by t h e Livestock. is meant by these words: Are you including dressing percent?

THE. as it i s represented by a choice No. 1 grade as described by t h e Livestock. is meant by these words: Are you including dressing percent? 180 THE EFFECT OF TYPE CARCASS ON CHARACTERlSTlCS As I attempt t o discuss t h i s topic, I f i n d myself a t r i f l e confused over t h e exact meaning of two words i n t h e t i t l e, F i r s t, what

More information

may be required in specific cases due to the objectives in mind, but such

may be required in specific cases due to the objectives in mind, but such THE USE O f THE U S D A G R A D E S T A N D A,? D S AS A T O O L I N E V d l U A T I N G PORK CARCASSES C L STRONG U H I T E D STATES DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE Pork Carcass evaluation assumes an important

More information

it behooves us t o consider the basis f o r the use of anyone, o r a combinat i o n of these indices.

it behooves us t o consider the basis f o r the use of anyone, o r a combinat i o n of these indices. 222. SWINE CARCASS C O N T E S T E V A L U A T I O N METHODS B. C. BRElOEWSTElH Over a period of t h e past several years swine carcass contests have become increasingly popular. T h i s increased popularity

More information

The aecond method reviewed by Professor Wilford was that which i s recommended by t h e National Livestock and Meat Board.

The aecond method reviewed by Professor Wilford was that which i s recommended by t h e National Livestock and Meat Board. 81 F I F T H AffNUAL RECIPROCAL MEATS h CONFERENCE - Uniform Slaughtering and Cutting Methods f o r Lamb: Last y e a r ' s conference r e p o r t by t h e Lamb Carcass Evaluation Committee pointed up t

More information

MR, RU3T (Ia.): While we are readily admitting there are

MR, RU3T (Ia.): While we are readily admitting there are 230 CHAIM BRAY: Thank you, Ed., for those very good remarks. I know that most of you are aware that Ed. has served as Superintendent of the Beef Carcass Contest, Quality Beef Contest, at the International

More information

P. A. ANDERSON. means t h e placing of a d i f f e r e n t value on products.

P. A. ANDERSON. means t h e placing of a d i f f e r e n t value on products. 44. THE N E E D FOR E S T A B L I S H I N G A C L O S E R CORRELATION I # THE J U D G I N G OF I I V E A N I M A L S AND T H E I R CARCASS GRADES AND C U T - O i l 1 V A L U E S P. A. ANDERSON U N l V

More information

ss VALUE ON L i v f HOGS

ss VALUE ON L i v f HOGS 91. HECHANICAL cama MEASUREMENT OF FATNESS ss VALUE ON L i v f HOGS AND E f f o r t s t o improve carcass value i n hogs by genetic means have been handicapped f o r lack of a rapid and accurate method

More information

F A C I L C I I E S N E E D E D, N E A T S REOUIRED AND TCME N E C E S S A R Y FOR

F A C I L C I I E S N E E D E D, N E A T S REOUIRED AND TCME N E C E S S A R Y FOR 38, F A C I L C I I E S N E E D E D, N E A T S REOUIRED AND TCME N E C E S S A R Y FOR T E A C H I N G I D E N T I F I C A T I O N O f C U T S AND G R A D I N G NATHAN S. HALE U N I V E R S I T Y OF M

More information

W. Y. Vaxney.) Van Stavern, B. D Personal communication. Service, Ohio S t a t e University.

W. Y. Vaxney.) Van Stavern, B. D Personal communication. Service, Ohio S t a t e University. 67 S a f f l e, R. L. and L. J. Bratzler. 1959. The e f f e c t of f a t n e s s on some processing and p a l a t a b i l i t y c h a r a c t e r i s t i c s of pork carcasses, Food Technol 13:236..- Van

More information

A T 7 5, 1 2 5, 1 7 5, 225, AND 275 POUNOS. Dr. A. Pearson has worked with the p r i n c i p l e of determining volume i n a closed chamber.

A T 7 5, 1 2 5, 1 7 5, 225, AND 275 POUNOS. Dr. A. Pearson has worked with the p r i n c i p l e of determining volume i n a closed chamber. 49 U l TRA'SONIC E V A 1 U A T I O N OF C O M P O S I T I O N I N HOGS ' S L A U G H T E R E D A T 7 5, 1 2 5, 1 7 5, 225, AND 2 POUNOS R I C H A R D L H I W E R and J W THORNTON Early research by Warner,

More information

The Shunammite Woman s Land Restored 2 Kings 8:1-6

The Shunammite Woman s Land Restored 2 Kings 8:1-6 Lesson 111 The Shunammite Woman s Land Restored 2 Kings 8:1-6 MEMORY VERSE 2 KIN GS 8:6 Restore all that w as hers, and all the proc eeds of the field from the day that she left the land until now. WHAT

More information

SWINE E V A L U A T I O N PROGRAMS IN RETROSPECT

SWINE E V A L U A T I O N PROGRAMS IN RETROSPECT 290. SWNE E V A L U A T O N PROGRAMS N RETROSPECT W. H. ERUWER Webster defines r e t r o s p e c t a s looking back on t h i n g s past; a review of t h e p a s t. n order t o review t h e accomplishments

More information

What i s t h e U.S.L.A.

What i s t h e U.S.L.A. 304. of products or a brand established f o r only t h e superior product? My own opinion i s t h a t t h e l e t t e r i s more u s e f u l. Then too, who should do t h e grading? I believe t h e system

More information

Pig organ transplants within 5 years

Pig organ transplants within 5 years www.breaking News English.com Ready-to-use ESL / EFL Lessons Pig organ transplants within 5 years URL: http://www.breakingnewsenglish.com/0509/050911-xenotransplant.html Today s contents The Article 2

More information

R V I W OF CURi? NT 1 4 N B C4RC4SS R E S E A R C H

R V I W OF CURi? NT 1 4 N B C4RC4SS R E S E A R C H 169 R V I W OF CURi? NT 1 4 N B C4RC4SS R E S E A R C H A. W e OLIVER OREGON S T A T E COLLEGE o.umcimm".ml. There a r e not as many projects i n lamb carcass research being worked on a s i n some other

More information

Introductory Quantum Chemistry Prof. K. L. Sebastian Department of Inorganic and Physical Chemistry Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore

Introductory Quantum Chemistry Prof. K. L. Sebastian Department of Inorganic and Physical Chemistry Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore Introductory Quantum Chemistry Prof. K. L. Sebastian Department of Inorganic and Physical Chemistry Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore Lecture - 4 Postulates Part 1 (Refer Slide Time: 00:59) So, I

More information

MITOCW ocw f99-lec05_300k

MITOCW ocw f99-lec05_300k MITOCW ocw-18.06-f99-lec05_300k This is lecture five in linear algebra. And, it will complete this chapter of the book. So the last section of this chapter is two point seven that talks about permutations,

More information

LOIN-EYE AREA AND HAM PERCENT National Barrow Shuw Austin, Minn.

LOIN-EYE AREA AND HAM PERCENT National Barrow Shuw Austin, Minn. 86. TAatE 10 LOIN-EYE AREA AND HAM PERCENT National Barrow Shuw Austin, Minn. This fornula combines a score f o r each ham and l o i n. The loin eye area is converted from a measurement t o a score and

More information

MITOCW MITRES_18-007_Part3_lec5_300k.mp4

MITOCW MITRES_18-007_Part3_lec5_300k.mp4 MITOCW MITRES_18-007_Part3_lec5_300k.mp4 The following content is provided under a Creative Commons license. Your support will help MIT OpenCourseWare continue to offer high quality educational resources

More information

MIT BLOSSOMS INITIATIVE

MIT BLOSSOMS INITIATIVE MIT BLOSSOMS INITIATIVE The Broken Stick Problem Taught by Professor Richard C. Larson Mitsui Professor of Engineering Systems and of Civil and Environmental Engineering Segment 1 Hi! My name is Dick Larson

More information

P R 0 C t S S I N G OF E R Y A N D S E M I D R Y SAUSAGES

P R 0 C t S S I N G OF E R Y A N D S E M I D R Y SAUSAGES 225. P R 0 C t S S I N G OF E R Y A N D S E M I D R Y SAUSAGES W I L L I A M J. SHANNON M E A T I N D U S T R YC O N S U L T A N T OMAHA. I NEBRASKA When we consider t h e t o t a l s u b j e c t of sausage

More information

Communication Engineering Prof. Surendra Prasad Department of Electrical Engineering Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi

Communication Engineering Prof. Surendra Prasad Department of Electrical Engineering Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi Communication Engineering Prof. Surendra Prasad Department of Electrical Engineering Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi Lecture - 41 Pulse Code Modulation (PCM) So, if you remember we have been talking

More information

MITOCW ocw-18_02-f07-lec02_220k

MITOCW ocw-18_02-f07-lec02_220k MITOCW ocw-18_02-f07-lec02_220k The following content is provided under a Creative Commons license. Your support will help MIT OpenCourseWare continue to offer high quality educational resources for free.

More information

Solving Equations by Adding and Subtracting

Solving Equations by Adding and Subtracting SECTION 2.1 Solving Equations by Adding and Subtracting 2.1 OBJECTIVES 1. Determine whether a given number is a solution for an equation 2. Use the addition property to solve equations 3. Determine whether

More information

Continuity and One-Sided Limits

Continuity and One-Sided Limits Continuity and One-Sided Limits 1. Welcome to continuity and one-sided limits. My name is Tuesday Johnson and I m a lecturer at the University of Texas El Paso. 2. With each lecture I present, I will start

More information

MITOCW MITRES_18-007_Part1_lec3_300k.mp4

MITOCW MITRES_18-007_Part1_lec3_300k.mp4 MITOCW MITRES_18-007_Part1_lec3_300k.mp4 The following content is provided under a Creative Commons license. Your support will help MIT OpenCourseWare continue to offer high-quality educational resources

More information

Note: Please use the actual date you accessed this material in your citation.

Note: Please use the actual date you accessed this material in your citation. MIT OpenCourseWare http://ocw.mit.edu 18.06 Linear Algebra, Spring 2005 Please use the following citation format: Gilbert Strang, 18.06 Linear Algebra, Spring 2005. (Massachusetts Institute of Technology:

More information

UN I FORM CUTTl NG AND METHODS OF MEASURING LAMB CARCASSES

UN I FORM CUTTl NG AND METHODS OF MEASURING LAMB CARCASSES UN I FORM CUTTl NG AND METHODS OF MEASURING LAMB CARCASSES E J Wilford UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY I n my opinion t h e r e a r e two desirable methods of blocking out lamb carcasses f o r reaearch studies

More information

MITOCW ocw f99-lec30_300k

MITOCW ocw f99-lec30_300k MITOCW ocw-18.06-f99-lec30_300k OK, this is the lecture on linear transformations. Actually, linear algebra courses used to begin with this lecture, so you could say I'm beginning this course again by

More information

One day an ant was drinking at a small stream and fell in. She made desperate

One day an ant was drinking at a small stream and fell in. She made desperate (A) One day an ant was drinking at a small stream and fell in. She made desperate efforts to reach the side, but made no progress at all. The poor ant almost exhausted was still bravely doing her best

More information

Special Theory Of Relativity Prof. Shiva Prasad Department of Physics Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay

Special Theory Of Relativity Prof. Shiva Prasad Department of Physics Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay Special Theory Of Relativity Prof. Shiva Prasad Department of Physics Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay Lecture - 6 Length Contraction and Time Dilation (Refer Slide Time: 00:29) In our last lecture,

More information

Motivating Questions: How many hurricanes happen in a year? Have the number of hurricanes per year changed over time?

Motivating Questions: How many hurricanes happen in a year? Have the number of hurricanes per year changed over time? Hurricanes Over Time Materials For the leader: Projector Whiteboard to project data graph onto For the activity: Graphing paper Markers Globe Copy of data cards Overview Hurricanes occur in the North Atlantic

More information

Stat 20 Midterm 1 Review

Stat 20 Midterm 1 Review Stat 20 Midterm Review February 7, 2007 This handout is intended to be a comprehensive study guide for the first Stat 20 midterm exam. I have tried to cover all the course material in a way that targets

More information

PART ONE. Once upon a time there was a very special baby. who grew up to be very wise. and to tell us how to be kind. His name was Jesus.

PART ONE. Once upon a time there was a very special baby. who grew up to be very wise. and to tell us how to be kind. His name was Jesus. PART ONE Once upon a time there was a very special baby who grew up to be very wise and to tell us how to be kind. His name was Jesus. Mary and Joseph were his mummy and daddy. One day they set off to

More information

MITOCW MITRES18_005S10_DerivOfSinXCosX_300k_512kb-mp4

MITOCW MITRES18_005S10_DerivOfSinXCosX_300k_512kb-mp4 MITOCW MITRES18_005S10_DerivOfSinXCosX_300k_512kb-mp4 PROFESSOR: OK, this lecture is about the slopes, the derivatives, of two of the great functions of mathematics: sine x and cosine x. Why do I say great

More information

Design and Optimization of Energy Systems Prof. C. Balaji Department of Mechanical Engineering Indian Institute of Technology, Madras

Design and Optimization of Energy Systems Prof. C. Balaji Department of Mechanical Engineering Indian Institute of Technology, Madras Design and Optimization of Energy Systems Prof. C. Balaji Department of Mechanical Engineering Indian Institute of Technology, Madras Lecture - 31 Fibonacci search method So, I am continuing with our treatment

More information

Instructor (Brad Osgood)

Instructor (Brad Osgood) TheFourierTransformAndItsApplications-Lecture26 Instructor (Brad Osgood): Relax, but no, no, no, the TV is on. It's time to hit the road. Time to rock and roll. We're going to now turn to our last topic

More information

FUR BE F FOR EVALUATION* CARCASS AND MEASURING GRADING. i n commercial coolers where it i s impractical t o obtain cold carcass weights,

FUR BE F FOR EVALUATION* CARCASS AND MEASURING GRADING. i n commercial coolers where it i s impractical t o obtain cold carcass weights, 108, A RECOMMEMDED GRADING By able whether ly, t h e Beef cedures such data. BE F PROCEDUfiE FOR FUR CARCASS MEASURING AND EVALUATION* t h e creation and use of standard methods data i s made more comparit

More information

Ratios, Proportions, Unit Conversions, and the Factor-Label Method

Ratios, Proportions, Unit Conversions, and the Factor-Label Method Ratios, Proportions, Unit Conversions, and the Factor-Label Method Math 0, Littlefield I don t know why, but presentations about ratios and proportions are often confused and fragmented. The one in your

More information

YEAR'S EXPERIENCE CARCASS CUNTEST PROCEDURES. of t h e committee. My assignment has been t o report on a year's experience

YEAR'S EXPERIENCE CARCASS CUNTEST PROCEDURES. of t h e committee. My assignment has been t o report on a year's experience CARCASS CUNTEST PROCEDURES A 75. YEAR'S EXPERIENCE Last year a t our meeting a t Knoxville, the carcass contest commttt e e presented recommendations f o r quality beef, pork and lamb contests. After much

More information

PART I. Performed by: Alexandra Jiménez

PART I. Performed by: Alexandra Jiménez PART I The beginning of this story takes place in Rota. Rota is a very small town in Spain. It is not far from the Bay of Cadiz. Rota is famous for its different kinds of fruit and vegetables. In particular,

More information

Explorers 4 Teacher s notes for the Comprehension Test: The Snow Queen

Explorers 4 Teacher s notes for the Comprehension Test: The Snow Queen Explorers 4 Teacher s notes for the Comprehension Test: The Snow Queen Do this test after you have read the whole book with the class. Ask the children to fill in their name and the date at the top of

More information

MITOCW ocw f99-lec16_300k

MITOCW ocw f99-lec16_300k MITOCW ocw-18.06-f99-lec16_300k OK. Here's lecture sixteen and if you remember I ended up the last lecture with this formula for what I called a projection matrix. And maybe I could just recap for a minute

More information

Elementary & Junior High Problem Solving

Elementary & Junior High Problem Solving Elementary & Junior High Problem Solving Andy Zapata Azle ISD 1974 to 2017 7 th grade math, high school math & Physics teacher ETS Physics reader 10 years Married 4 children & 3 grandchildren Hospitality:

More information

Water Resources Systems Prof. P. P. Mujumdar Department of Civil Engineering Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore

Water Resources Systems Prof. P. P. Mujumdar Department of Civil Engineering Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore Water Resources Systems Prof. P. P. Mujumdar Department of Civil Engineering Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore Module No. # 05 Lecture No. # 22 Reservoir Capacity using Linear Programming (2) Good

More information

I N T E A C H I N G T H E SUBJECT OF M E A T S

I N T E A C H I N G T H E SUBJECT OF M E A T S 6. E F F E C T I V E METHODS, 7 E C H N l Q U E S A N D A I D S I N T E A C H I N G T H E SUBJECT OF M E A T S 0. 0. 9UTLER, JR. L TEXAS A. & M. COLLEGE V I " O n l y a l i t e r a r y genius can paint

More information

MITOCW Investigation 4, Part 3

MITOCW Investigation 4, Part 3 MITOCW Investigation 4, Part 3 The following content is provided under a Creative Commons license. Your support will help MIT OpenCourseWare continue to offer high quality educational resources for free.

More information

DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS

DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS Basic Concepts Paul Dawkins Table of Contents Preface... Basic Concepts... 1 Introduction... 1 Definitions... Direction Fields... 8 Final Thoughts...19 007 Paul Dawkins i http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/terms.aspx

More information

Words to avoid in proposals

Words to avoid in proposals Crutch words used when writers don t understand what to say We understand Leverage our experience Thank you for the opportunity We look forward to state-of-the-art the right choice Never use the word understand

More information

Mathematics Practice Test 2

Mathematics Practice Test 2 Mathematics Practice Test 2 Complete 50 question practice test The questions in the Mathematics section require you to solve mathematical problems. Most of the questions are presented as word problems.

More information

Chapter 13 - Inverse Functions

Chapter 13 - Inverse Functions Chapter 13 - Inverse Functions In the second part of this book on Calculus, we shall be devoting our study to another type of function, the exponential function and its close relative the Sine function.

More information

Child sexual abuse is a serious crime that is why you must listen while the Touching Rules are being explained.

Child sexual abuse is a serious crime that is why you must listen while the Touching Rules are being explained. Child sexual abuse is a serious crime that is why you must listen while the Touching Rules are being explained. Touching Rule 1: It is never all right for someone older or more powerful than you to touch

More information

CS103 Handout 08 Spring 2012 April 20, 2012 Problem Set 3

CS103 Handout 08 Spring 2012 April 20, 2012 Problem Set 3 CS103 Handout 08 Spring 2012 April 20, 2012 Problem Set 3 This third problem set explores graphs, relations, functions, cardinalities, and the pigeonhole principle. This should be a great way to get a

More information

MITOCW watch?v=ko0vmalkgj8

MITOCW watch?v=ko0vmalkgj8 MITOCW watch?v=ko0vmalkgj8 The following content is provided under a Creative Commons license. Your support will help MIT OpenCourseWare continue to offer high quality educational resources for free. To

More information

Essential Statistics. Gould Ryan Wong

Essential Statistics. Gould Ryan Wong Global Global Essential Statistics Eploring the World through Data For these Global Editions, the editorial team at Pearson has collaborated with educators across the world to address a wide range of subjects

More information

MACMILLAN READERS ELEMENTARY LEVEL BRAM STOKER. Tales of Horror. Retold by John Davey MACMILLAN

MACMILLAN READERS ELEMENTARY LEVEL BRAM STOKER. Tales of Horror. Retold by John Davey MACMILLAN MACMILLAN READERS ELEMENTARY LEVEL BRAM STOKER Tales of Horror Retold by John Davey MACMILLAN Contents The Judge s House 5 The Iron Maiden 25 The Return of Abel Behena 37 Points for Understanding 59 THE

More information

The student solutions shown below highlight the most commonly used approaches and also some that feature nice use of algebraic polynomial formulas.

The student solutions shown below highlight the most commonly used approaches and also some that feature nice use of algebraic polynomial formulas. Print Assign Submit Solution and Commentary Online Resources Scoring Rubric [pdf] Teacher Packet [pdf] Strategy 11: Get Unstuck Strategy Examples [pdf] Polynomial Power [Problem #5272] Comments and Sample

More information

The Light Ghost. We were contacted by T.A.P.S (The Atlantic Paranormal Society), they forwarded the following e mail:

The Light Ghost. We were contacted by T.A.P.S (The Atlantic Paranormal Society), they forwarded the following e mail: The Light Ghost We were contacted by T.A.P.S (The Atlantic Paranormal Society), they forwarded the following e mail: Hi Jason, I just wanted you to let you know no one has called me to and get the recorder.

More information

Mathematics in Contemporary Society Chapter 10

Mathematics in Contemporary Society Chapter 10 City University of New York (CUNY) CUNY Academic Works Open Educational Resources Queensborough Community College Fall 2015 Mathematics in Contemporary Society Chapter 10 Patrick J. Wallach Queensborough

More information

MITOCW MITRES18_005S10_DiffEqnsMotion_300k_512kb-mp4

MITOCW MITRES18_005S10_DiffEqnsMotion_300k_512kb-mp4 MITOCW MITRES18_005S10_DiffEqnsMotion_300k_512kb-mp4 PROFESSOR: OK, this lecture, this day, is differential equations day. I just feel even though these are not on the BC exams, that we've got everything

More information

3rd Grade Motion and Stability

3rd Grade Motion and Stability Slide 1 / 106 Slide 2 / 106 3rd Grade Motion and Stability 2015-11-09 www.njctl.org Slide 3 / 106 Table of Contents Forces and Motion Review Balanced and Unbalanced Forces Motion prediction from patterns

More information

Chapter 26: Comparing Counts (Chi Square)

Chapter 26: Comparing Counts (Chi Square) Chapter 6: Comparing Counts (Chi Square) We ve seen that you can turn a qualitative variable into a quantitative one (by counting the number of successes and failures), but that s a compromise it forces

More information

Lab Slide Rules and Log Scales

Lab Slide Rules and Log Scales Name: Lab Slide Rules and Log Scales [EER Note: This is a much-shortened version of my lab on this topic. You won t finish, but try to do one of each type of calculation if you can. I m available to help.]

More information

ACCESS TO SCIENCE, ENGINEERING AND AGRICULTURE: MATHEMATICS 2 MATH00040 SEMESTER / Probability

ACCESS TO SCIENCE, ENGINEERING AND AGRICULTURE: MATHEMATICS 2 MATH00040 SEMESTER / Probability ACCESS TO SCIENCE, ENGINEERING AND AGRICULTURE: MATHEMATICS 2 MATH00040 SEMESTER 2 2017/2018 DR. ANTHONY BROWN 5.1. Introduction to Probability. 5. Probability You are probably familiar with the elementary

More information

Algebra Exam. Solutions and Grading Guide

Algebra Exam. Solutions and Grading Guide Algebra Exam Solutions and Grading Guide You should use this grading guide to carefully grade your own exam, trying to be as objective as possible about what score the TAs would give your responses. Full

More information

Some Results of t h e Contest

Some Results of t h e Contest 207. Some Results of t h e Contest 1. Swine c l a s s e s have been placing t h e same way both a l i v e and i n t h e carcass f o r most of t h e c m t e s t s. We occasionally w i l l g e t a p a i

More information

I22. EARLE W. KLOSTERMAN Ohio A g r i c u l t u r a l Research and Development Center Wooster, Ohio

I22. EARLE W. KLOSTERMAN Ohio A g r i c u l t u r a l Research and Development Center Wooster, Ohio I22 BODY SIZE AND PRODUCTION EFFICIENCY* EARLE W. KLOSTERMAN Ohio A g r i c u l t u r a l Research and Development Center Wooster, Ohio Beef c a t t l e s e l e c t i o n and performance t e s t i n g

More information

3PK. February 16-17, Matt s Friends Bring Him to Jesus. Luke 5: We can ask Jesus to help us!

3PK. February 16-17, Matt s Friends Bring Him to Jesus. Luke 5: We can ask Jesus to help us! 3PK February 16-17, 2012 Matt s Friends Bring Him to Jesus Luke 5:17-26 We can ask Jesus to help us! SCHEDULE for all sites: First 10 minutes of the service hour: Relationship-building time (kids get to

More information

CHM 105 & 106 UNIT TWO, LECTURE EIGHT 1 IN OUR PREVIOUS LECTURE WE WERE LOOKING AT CONCENTRATION UNITS FOR SOLUTIONS

CHM 105 & 106 UNIT TWO, LECTURE EIGHT 1 IN OUR PREVIOUS LECTURE WE WERE LOOKING AT CONCENTRATION UNITS FOR SOLUTIONS CHM 105 & 106 UNIT TWO, LECTURE EIGHT 1 CHM 105/106 Program 15: Unit 2 Lecture 8 IN OUR PREVIOUS LECTURE WE WERE LOOKING AT CONCENTRATION UNITS FOR SOLUTIONS AND WE HAD LOOKED AT PERCENT BY MASS AND PERCENT

More information

THERE S SOMETHING AMAZING GOING ON

THERE S SOMETHING AMAZING GOING ON THERE S SOMETHING AMAZING GOING ON CAST PERFORMER CAST PERFORMER Mary... Joseph... Gabriel... Angel... Messenger... Innkeeper... Shepherd 1... Shepherd 2... Shepherd 3... Wise man 1... Wise man 2... Wise

More information

Relationships Between Quantities

Relationships Between Quantities Algebra 1 Relationships Between Quantities Relationships Between Quantities Everyone loves math until there are letters (known as variables) in problems!! Do students complain about reading when they come

More information

Sometimes Accountants Fail to Budget

Sometimes Accountants Fail to Budget ISSN 1940-204X Sometimes Accountants Fail to Budget Gail Hoover King Purdue University Calumet Jane Saly University of St. Thomas Budgeting is important in all organizations, but it is especially in nonprofit

More information

3rd Grade. Forces and Motion Review. Slide 1 / 106 Slide 2 / 106. Slide 4 / 106. Slide 3 / 106. Slide 5 / 106. Slide 6 / 106. Motion and Stability

3rd Grade. Forces and Motion Review. Slide 1 / 106 Slide 2 / 106. Slide 4 / 106. Slide 3 / 106. Slide 5 / 106. Slide 6 / 106. Motion and Stability Slide 1 / 106 Slide 2 / 106 3rd Grade Motion and Stability 2015-11-09 www.njctl.org Slide 3 / 106 Slide 4 / 106 Table of Contents Forces and Motion Review Balanced and Unbalanced Forces Motion prediction

More information

What s the Weather? [1st grade]

What s the Weather? [1st grade] Trinity University Digital Commons @ Trinity Understanding by Design: Complete Collection Understanding by Design 7-2012 What s the Weather? [1st grade] Lisa Hoveland Trinity University Follow this and

More information

Skills Practice Skills Practice for Lesson 3.1

Skills Practice Skills Practice for Lesson 3.1 Skills Practice Skills Practice for Lesson.1 Name Date A Little Dash of Logic Two Methods of Logical Reasoning Vocabulary Define each term in your own words. 1. inductive reasoning 2. deductive reasoning

More information

Hans Christian Andersen s Fairy Tales. Translated and Adapted by. Rafe Beckley

Hans Christian Andersen s Fairy Tales. Translated and Adapted by. Rafe Beckley Hans Christian Andersen s Fairy Tales Translated and Adapted by Rafe Beckley EXTRACT No performance of this script can be undertaken without the correct performance fee having been paid and a licence received.for

More information

MITOCW ocw f99-lec17_300k

MITOCW ocw f99-lec17_300k MITOCW ocw-18.06-f99-lec17_300k OK, here's the last lecture in the chapter on orthogonality. So we met orthogonal vectors, two vectors, we met orthogonal subspaces, like the row space and null space. Now

More information

Reading answer booklet Rain and Shine

Reading answer booklet Rain and Shine En KEY STAGE 2 English test LEVELS 3 5 Reading answer booklet Rain and Shine First name Last name School 2008 For marker s use only Page 5 7 9 11 13 15 TOTAL Marks Instructions Questions and Answers In

More information

Take the measurement of a person's height as an example. Assuming that her height has been determined to be 5' 8", how accurate is our result?

Take the measurement of a person's height as an example. Assuming that her height has been determined to be 5' 8, how accurate is our result? Error Analysis Introduction The knowledge we have of the physical world is obtained by doing experiments and making measurements. It is important to understand how to express such data and how to analyze

More information

Fourth Grade News Flash

Fourth Grade News Flash S Fourth Grade News Flash November 8, 2013 Dates to Remember 11/4 - No School 11/8 - End of 1 st Trimester 11/13 and 11/14 - Family Breakfast 11/15 - Report Cards sent home Language Arts This week s selection

More information

Fifth Grade Science End-Of-Grade Test Preparation. Test-Taking Strategies per NCDPI Released Form E ( )

Fifth Grade Science End-Of-Grade Test Preparation. Test-Taking Strategies per NCDPI Released Form E ( ) Fifth Grade Science End-Of-Grade Test Preparation Test-Taking Strategies per NCDPI Released Form E (2008-2009) Note to Teacher: Use the following test-taking strategies to prepare for the fifth grade End-Of-Grade

More information

METHODS FOR GRADING STUDENTS I N THE MEAT LABORATORY WORK

METHODS FOR GRADING STUDENTS I N THE MEAT LABORATORY WORK 86. METHODS FOR GRADING STUDENTS I N THE MEAT LABORATORY WORK The assignment of t h i s topic came very much as a surprise t o me, and as those I have questioned plead Innocent the mystery becomes even

More information

Chapter 1 Review of Equations and Inequalities

Chapter 1 Review of Equations and Inequalities Chapter 1 Review of Equations and Inequalities Part I Review of Basic Equations Recall that an equation is an expression with an equal sign in the middle. Also recall that, if a question asks you to solve

More information

1 Impact Evaluation: Randomized Controlled Trial (RCT)

1 Impact Evaluation: Randomized Controlled Trial (RCT) Introductory Applied Econometrics EEP/IAS 118 Fall 2013 Daley Kutzman Section #12 11-20-13 Warm-Up Consider the two panel data regressions below, where i indexes individuals and t indexes time in months:

More information

ON WHAT BASIS ARE GRADUATE STUOH~TS

ON WHAT BASIS ARE GRADUATE STUOH~TS *-, 73. ON WHAT BASIS ARE GRADUATE STUOH~TS +** ; '6 USED I N TEACHING AND RESEARCH? A. N, Pearson UN I VERS t TY OF FLOR I DA In attacking t h i s problem, I am assuming that those in charge o f the program

More information

HOG PRICE FORECAST ERRORS IN THE LAST 10 AND 15 YEARS: UNIVERSITY, FUTURES AND SEASONAL INDEX

HOG PRICE FORECAST ERRORS IN THE LAST 10 AND 15 YEARS: UNIVERSITY, FUTURES AND SEASONAL INDEX HOG PRICE FORECAST ERRORS IN THE LAST 10 AND 15 YEARS: UNIVERSITY, FUTURES AND SEASONAL INDEX One of the main goals of livestock price forecasts is to reduce the risk associated with decisions that producers

More information

Error Correcting Codes Prof. Dr. P Vijay Kumar Department of Electrical Communication Engineering Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore

Error Correcting Codes Prof. Dr. P Vijay Kumar Department of Electrical Communication Engineering Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore (Refer Slide Time: 00:54) Error Correcting Codes Prof. Dr. P Vijay Kumar Department of Electrical Communication Engineering Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore Lecture No. # 05 Cosets, Rings & Fields

More information

The Cycloid. and the Kinematic Circumference. by Miles Mathis

The Cycloid. and the Kinematic Circumference. by Miles Mathis return to updates The Cycloid and the Kinematic Circumference First published August 31, 2016 by Miles Mathis Those of you who have read my papers on π=4 will know I have explained that problem using many

More information

TheFourierTransformAndItsApplications-Lecture28

TheFourierTransformAndItsApplications-Lecture28 TheFourierTransformAndItsApplications-Lecture28 Instructor (Brad Osgood):All right. Let me remind you of the exam information as I said last time. I also sent out an announcement to the class this morning

More information

BRETT SUMMERS, PROJECT DIRECTOR, LEVEL CROSSING AUTHORITY INTERVIEW WITH JON FAINE MELBOURNE RADIO ABC 774 FRIDAY 2 SEPTEMBER 2016, 9.

BRETT SUMMERS, PROJECT DIRECTOR, LEVEL CROSSING AUTHORITY INTERVIEW WITH JON FAINE MELBOURNE RADIO ABC 774 FRIDAY 2 SEPTEMBER 2016, 9. , PROJECT DIRECTOR, LEVEL CROSSING AUTHORITY INTERVIEW WITH JON MELBOURNE RADIO ABC 774 FRIDAY 2 SEPTEMBER 2016, 9.13 You may or may not have been listening yesterday when on the open line, Jan from Caulfield

More information

MITOCW MITRES_18-007_Part1_lec5_300k.mp4

MITOCW MITRES_18-007_Part1_lec5_300k.mp4 MITOCW MITRES_18-007_Part1_lec5_300k.mp4 The following content is provided under a Creative Commons license. Your support will help MIT OpenCourseWare continue to offer high-quality educational resources

More information

Chapter Two. A Logical Absurdity? Common sense is that layer of prejudices laid down in the mind prior to the age of eighteen -A.

Chapter Two. A Logical Absurdity? Common sense is that layer of prejudices laid down in the mind prior to the age of eighteen -A. 6 Chapter Two A Logical Absurdity? Common sense is that layer of prejudices laid down in the mind prior to the age of eighteen -A. Einstein Einstein, like some others before him, notably the renowned physicistmathematician

More information

MITOCW watch?v=pqkyqu11eta

MITOCW watch?v=pqkyqu11eta MITOCW watch?v=pqkyqu11eta The following content is provided under a Creative Commons license. Your support will help MIT OpenCourseWare continue to offer high quality educational resources for free. To

More information

Serena: I don t think that works because if n is 20 and you do 6 less than that you get 20 6 = 14. I think we should write! 6 > 4

Serena: I don t think that works because if n is 20 and you do 6 less than that you get 20 6 = 14. I think we should write! 6 > 4 24 4.6 Taking Sides A Practice Understanding Task Joaquin and Serena work together productively in their math class. They both contribute their thinking and when they disagree, they both give their reasons

More information

Implicit Differentiation Applying Implicit Differentiation Applying Implicit Differentiation Page [1 of 5]

Implicit Differentiation Applying Implicit Differentiation Applying Implicit Differentiation Page [1 of 5] Page [1 of 5] The final frontier. This is it. This is our last chance to work together on doing some of these implicit differentiation questions. So, really this is the opportunity to really try these

More information

Talk Science Professional Development

Talk Science Professional Development Talk Science Professional Development Transcript for Grade 5 Scientist Case: The Water to Ice Investigations 1. The Water to Ice Investigations Through the Eyes of a Scientist We met Dr. Hugh Gallagher

More information

Numbers and Data Analysis

Numbers and Data Analysis Numbers and Data Analysis With thanks to George Goth, Skyline College for portions of this material. Significant figures Significant figures (sig figs) are only the first approimation to uncertainty and

More information

Strange and Unexplained

Strange and Unexplained High-Interest/Low-Readability Nonfiction Strange and Unexplained by Kathryn Wheeler Carson-Dellosa Publishing Company, Inc. Greensboro, North Carolina Credits Editor: Ashley Anderson Layout Design: Van

More information

of 8 28/11/ :25

of 8 28/11/ :25 Paul's Online Math Notes Home Content Chapter/Section Downloads Misc Links Site Help Contact Me Differential Equations (Notes) / First Order DE`s / Modeling with First Order DE's [Notes] Differential Equations

More information

6.041SC Probabilistic Systems Analysis and Applied Probability, Fall 2013 Transcript Tutorial:A Random Number of Coin Flips

6.041SC Probabilistic Systems Analysis and Applied Probability, Fall 2013 Transcript Tutorial:A Random Number of Coin Flips 6.041SC Probabilistic Systems Analysis and Applied Probability, Fall 2013 Transcript Tutorial:A Random Number of Coin Flips Hey, everyone. Welcome back. Today, we're going to do another fun problem that

More information